NEWS

[SR5] Stolen Souls "Official" Emergency Vehicles

• 7 Replies

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« on: <10-20-14/0726:58> »
Page 187 of Stolen Souls gives somewhat vague instructions for official emergency/government vehicles;
*For official emergency vehicles that have better performance, multiply these vehicle attributes by 1.5 (round up).

My question: which attributes does one multiply?

The text reference states the following (emphasis mine):
"Another thing to keep in mind when modifying these vehicles is that civilian models do not have the same performance or handling specifications as the real thing. If you desire the vehicle to have similar performance to the real emergency vehicle, it will cost you additional parts and rigger time to make it happen. These modifications to the engine, steering, and suspension can be very expensive on top of all the costs for the cosmetic modifications."

It seems likely that at the very least, Handling (suspension and/or steering) and speed and acceleration (engine and/or performance) should be multiplied. Cost and availability should follow suit, but what about the other attributes; Pilot, Seats, Body, Armor, and Sensor? I could see an argument being made for the Pilot and Sensor, and possibly even Body and Armor, but Seats seem somewhat unlikely. Let's take some extreme examples.

The official SWAT vehicle (based on the Ares Roadmaster) would have a Body and Armor of 27 while sporting a Speed and Handling of 5. Both the Lone Star and Knight Errant Patrol Cruisers (based on the Chrysler-Nissan Journey and the Honda Artemis, respectively) would have an Acceleration of 5 (rivaling a GMC Banshee, being capable of going from 0 to 190km/h in about 3 seconds). A DocWagon ambulance (based on the GMC Endurance) would have a Speed of 6, rivaling the speedbikes and sportscars in the book. Clearly, these rules could have some potential issues.

My question is: how do you think this option should be used? Have you or anyone in your group ever "obtained" one of these official emergency vehicles, and if so, what attributes were used?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <10-20-14/0738:27> »
If we follow the official definition, Vehicle Attributes includes everything except Availability and Price.

Acceleration, however, would make sense with a 1 or 2 but not at 3+ values. Speed is more a problem with how Speed in itself works though, so under the system I and Sangius roughly have in mind for Speed it wouldn't be that bad.

As for Seats, I'd replace the extra seats with equipment built into the vehicles. For example weaponracks, medical equipment, stuff like that.

So as GM, I'd multiply everything within reason and make some adjustments. The SWAT cars would have those huge stats yes, since that means even tough runners will have a good reason to fear them. The ambulances would remain at Accel 3, and Speed 6 would put it at 288 km/h instead of 384, while Speed 5 would put its running Speed at the same value as the current Speed 5. I think I'd keep it at Speed 6 but within the changed-up system.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-21-14/0125:06> »
One of my players was asking about this today.

Seating, and armor isn't getting the ugprade, and neither is the body because it can get just ridiculous like that.

Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <10-21-14/0600:46> »
Given how easily even a Roadmaster can get mowed down, I don't mind such massive tank-like values for the most top-notch law enforcement vehicles. If the law is greedy, sure, but they're bound to have some elite cars around.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #4 on: <10-21-14/1100:23> »
The funny thing is KE Citymasters aren't that much better than civilian Roadmasters sadly so having vehicles top those by a mile seems a bit odd.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #5 on: <10-22-14/1611:49> »
I just recently also asked my GM about this & he declared "stats" = full stat line so Armor, Availability, Cost, all of it.
Not sure its 100% realistic but its simple.

As for the Roadmaster v/s CityMaster thing, I'd have to relook up my old Rigger books but I seem to recall the Roadmaster lacked the Armor of the Citi-Master so if the basic RM is now 18 then 27 for the CM doesn't seem bad to me really.

I suppose the real test is what would a HMG, AC, & AVM do to them respectively.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #6 on: <10-23-14/2233:23> »
Yet if you check the released mission bundles (sprawl wilds and firing line at least) the Citymaster only comes with armor 20 ... Of course ever since Rigger Black Book the rule of the Roadmaster has gone from stepvan/truck to armored truck
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #7 on: <10-24-14/1946:09> »
Yet if you check the released mission bundles (sprawl wilds and firing line at least) the Citymaster only comes with armor 20 ... Of course ever since Rigger Black Book the rule of the Roadmaster has gone from stepvan/truck to armored truck

I just have it in Rigger-3 which had 0 armor v/s the City-10 & Mob-14 which were huge increases.