NEWS

Populating Seattle

• 79 Replies

8-bit

« Reply #60 on: <10-25-14/0335:44> »
I'm working on getting some info from Seattle 2072 into a Google Doc now. I'll get a link up when I'm done with Downtown Seattle, so that you can check to make sure I am not violating any copyright stuff. Sorry if that bothers you, but I figure we should all audit each other to make sure everything is aboveboard and clean.

As a side note, I never noticed that it was spelled Aztechnology. I always thought it was Aztechknowledgy ... I must have read it thousands of times and only just noticed that.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #61 on: <10-25-14/1120:35> »
Not bothered at all, 8-bit!  Thank you for your help in this.  I've sent a message to Jason Hardy asking for clarification on what we can and cannot use from the official material, so hopefully in a few days we'll have an answer.  In the meantime, I can use this time to try to get all the configurations for the wiki set up, and make sure the site can handle the load.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Tai-Pan

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
  • Everything is better with lube.
« Reply #62 on: <11-12-14/1458:52> »
Is this project dead already?
Troll bioadept with a throwing knife and a lube grenade looking for a good time.

8-bit

« Reply #63 on: <11-12-14/1517:40> »
I am, slowly, getting stuff from Seattle 2072 into a document. I've been incredibly busy, and I'm sorry to say it's been a lower priority for me. I'll try to get more of it done soon.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #64 on: <11-12-14/1746:42> »

Want to volunteer?  I've got a two month old, a new business, and a new job starting.  Not to mention that I donate two nights a week to help spread the Shadowrun goodness around my town, and I'm planning on going to a bigger con later this year.  Lots on my plate.  You?

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Mmurphy

• Newb
« Reply #65 on: <11-12-14/2325:47> »
I will volunteer, if you send me a PM. I will respond with my abilities and what I may be able to add to the project. 

Tai-Pan

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
  • Everything is better with lube.
« Reply #66 on: <11-14-14/0412:56> »

Want to volunteer?  I've got a two month old, a new business, and a new job starting.  Not to mention that I donate two nights a week to help spread the Shadowrun goodness around my town, and I'm planning on going to a bigger con later this year.  Lots on my plate.  You?

Real job, trying to start a flgs, girlfriend pushing for a ring... life... life
Troll bioadept with a throwing knife and a lube grenade looking for a good time.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #67 on: <11-14-14/0902:55> »
I don't have a perfect grasp on what's being attempted here, but it sounds like something I wouldn't mind assisting with.  I've got no life (;_;) and so could probably find time to do some things.  Just tell me what can be done?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #68 on: <11-14-14/1004:12> »
So here's the latest update on tasks that need to be completed:

• Website's MediaWiki needs a script to get it up and running (PHP-based)
  • NPC data needs to be compiled
  • Organizational data needs to be compiled
  • Location data needs to be compiled

I'm working on the website scripts when I get a chance (which is rarely), 8-bit is working on some of the NPCs, iamfanboy is working on NPCs from the various fiction and adventures out there.  Michael Chandra donated his website to the cause.  Shaidar and Michael have both suggested map integration methods, but they need to be looked into for viability.  But ultimately, we need to get the site up and running to allow people to start making updates on their own.  I know that I've locked the database while figuring out what to put into the localsettings.php script, and that is what is preventing users from registering.  There are elements of the localsettings script that I need to examine and determine how to configure in order to get the wiki into a usable state that isn't going to be something sloppy and weird.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #69 on: <11-14-14/1006:14> »
For map integration, once the thing is running we could look into the Maps Extension for mediawiki. Then see if that can be combined with custom google map data like used by the seattle shadowrun map sites.

Edit: Not that this is necessary, but it would be nice for the locations.
« Last Edit: <11-14-14/1149:53> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

8-bit

« Reply #70 on: <11-14-14/1302:47> »
Just as a note, I am also trying to get some of the location and minor description data for the various places of interest. I've been using Latitude/Longitude coordinates for locating them, which can be inputed somewhere.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #71 on: <12-01-14/2229:38> »
So what is/has happened with this project?
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #72 on: <12-02-14/0039:40> »
Working on setting the place up.  If I knew how to do that - and if I had time, which is in short supply on my end - it'd already be running.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #73 on: <12-02-14/1206:32> »
Unlocking the database just requires me to change over one line in the configuration file.  But I need to make sure the configuration file is ...configured... correctly before I open the flood gates.  Plus, we've had some intermittent issues with connecting to the host that require more testing to ensure that the host can handle the load.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <12-02-14/1419:54> »
Alright, in the time being, I've migrated the wiki over to a Wikia site.  http://shadowrun-seattle.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowrun_Seattle_Wiki

Ground rules:
  • Any non-canon post will be reviewed and may be removed without explanation
  • Any canon post will be reviewed and may be amended or edited without explanation
  • No use of copyrighted materials - NO EXCEPTIONS
  • Using copyrighted materials will result in a ban from editing the wiki

I need to develop a template for NPCs, Organizations, and Locations.  I could use help with those.

I want the NPC template to look like this:

Stat Block
Metatype
Affiliations

Description
Psychology
Habits/Quirks
History

I want the Organization template to look like this

Stat Block
Key Members
Areas of Interest
Resources
Number of Members

Description
Culture (this is everything from a corporate culture as described in Corporate Guide to a criminal culture like Yakuza or Vory)
History

I want the Location template to look like this:

Stat Block
Neighborhood
Address

Description
Uses (this covers both legal and illegal uses for the location, whether it's a regular meeting place for the I-5s or a front for a bunraku parlor)
History (this would be the history of the location in books and stories, ancient history, and real-world historical events that took place at this location)