NEWS

Power point costs for mystic adepts

• 133 Replies

RickySpanish

• Newb
« on: <10-01-14/1856:52> »
Looking over mystic adepts in my main book it says at character creation its 2 karma per power point, but people are saying its 5 karma in the character creation forum. is this some errata that I am missing?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #1 on: <10-01-14/1900:17> »
Yup.The PDF has been updated to 5. You can probably find a link to the SR5 Core errata in the Errata Forum.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

RickySpanish

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-01-14/1908:29> »
Thank you

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #3 on: <10-01-14/1929:39> »
Personally, I don't like how the errata forces a mystic adept who wants full power-points at CC (which they can't buy later) to take negative qualities for it.  When I run things, I make each point at CC cost as much as its level; 1 for 1, 3 for 2, 6 for 3, etc.  Scales up to 21 experience for 6 power points points.  It scales well, shows how focused the character was on maintaining/building their adept powers, etc. while remaining within the 25 karma limit. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

8-bit

« Reply #4 on: <10-01-14/1938:44> »
Before Street Grimoire was released I was absolutely fine with 5 karma per power point. Once SG came out, and introduced ways and everything I started to hate the 30 point cost. I mean, you cannot get a Way if you want to focus on the Power Point side; and you can't really get that much Focused Concentration for the spellcasting side. Factor in that usually Resources is your E priority and you need to spend 10 karma there, you run out of karma to do anything really quickly. I would honestly prefer 3 or 4 per point. That way you can get all 6 for 18 or 24 respectively, which still leaves some room for customization and expansion.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-01-14/1947:14> »
Given how powerful the mystic adepts I've so far seen in action have been I don't have a problem with the current cost.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-01-14/1954:51> »
Given how powerful the mystic adepts I've so far seen in action have been I don't have a problem with the current cost.

Same here. I have a MA at my table who is broke as heck. The other players affectionately refer to him as Acid Wave McMurder Hobo. He always goes first, kills everything in one spell, then takes no drain. He's curious why there are always elementals that engulf him all the time now...
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

RickySpanish

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <10-01-14/2157:57> »
Honestly I'm not worried about the cost i can take the negative qualities  and buy them out later, but i just wanted to be sure it was correct or not.

RickySpanish

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <10-02-14/0051:45> »
I was looking at making a mystic body guard who had a spirit guide, most likely dog but i have several variations in mind.

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-02-14/0116:22> »

You only need 3.5 Power Points as a Mystic Adept. Just sayin'.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <10-02-14/0118:58> »

Same here. I have a MA at my table who is broke as heck. The other players affectionately refer to him as Acid Wave McMurder Hobo. He always goes first, kills everything in one spell, then takes no drain. He's curious why there are always elementals that engulf him all the time now...
Though that problem seems to be more on the player's side ... If you go in for the kill it might net you some notoriety here and there, especially if it involves something that nasty like acid.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-02-14/0405:25> »
I made a MA as my latest character, and was mulling things over before I decide (magician or MA). At 2 it'd be a no-brainer, as it is it was an interesting choice. So the price seems about right to me at 5.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <10-02-14/0620:09> »
To put the errata into context: It's not a fix afterwards to balance out the rules, it's a fix afterwards to clean up a printing mistake. During playtesting many variants were used, and here and there in the rules they didn't properly clean out some of the variants. Take Lifestyle/Gear costs for Dwarves & Trolls, Connection as dicepool modifier or limit modifier, and so on. The karma cost for Power Points is the same, it was never intended to go to print but they missed cleaning it out.

My memory may be failing me, but I vaguely recall that this was a day-zero errata so to speak. Developers acknowledged it was a mistake and quickly provided the correct value even before the PDF was released. This was in part possible because the incorrect value was noted in one of the SR5 Previews, and in part because of the time between being sent to the printer and coming out in PDF form. So basically very since SR5 was actually out, it's been known to many that it should be 5. But since the errata took a while, only the Mission Hotpatch Errata noted it for people to find.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Forrest

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <10-02-14/1410:27> »
That context does point out a frequent problem with shadowrun products which is poor proof reading.  Things like grammatical mistakes and missing words have been common throughout every edition.  Some books are much worse than others, and generally the core book is the best, but some of the supplements have been, from an englishj major's perspective, downright bad.

prismite

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <10-02-14/1505:21> »
The other players affectionately refer to him as Acid Wave McMurder Hobo.

This may be my favorite line I've seen on these boards ever!

On a side note, I would LOVE to see his build. Think you can get a copy and send it my way? Sounds like the villain i've been building for my runners to square off against!
Want to join a skype game on R20 on Sundays? PM me!