NEWS

Shapechange and Critter Form Spells

• 21 Replies

Bluetooth

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <09-20-14/2040:00> »
At that point it's a houserule; I was asking for the actual rule clarifications. Interesting houserule though that could easily be exploited if done correctly.

Just sayin what we decided to do (:. We could find no clarification, and we read the books cover to cover.
"How was I supposed to know that I am an escaped clone created as away of policing a secret society of mages? I had amnesia!" - Riley

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <09-20-14/2040:22> »
My point about gms permission still stands. If your gm allows something break his game then he  prolly deserves it. Also I am a huge fan of the anything my players can do the gm can do rule. It all balances out with a skilled story teller/fair group.

Your GM houseruling it for your game is all well and good, but that kind of thing does not work as a general rule. If a specific spell requires a line that effectively amounts to "WARNING, clever players can use this to break the game! GM Discretion Advised!" then it's a badly designed spell.

Bluetooth

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <09-20-14/2053:01> »
My point about gms permission still stands. If your gm allows something break his game then he  prolly deserves it. Also I am a huge fan of the anything my players can do the gm can do rule. It all balances out with a skilled story teller/fair group.

Your GM houseruling it for your game is all well and good, but that kind of thing does not work as a general rule. If a specific spell requires a line that effectively amounts to "WARNING, clever players can use this to break the game! GM Discretion Advised!" then it's a badly designed spell.

Lol. Believe it or not I do agree with you. However most of. Shadowrun can be abused by clever players .
"How was I supposed to know that I am an escaped clone created as away of policing a secret society of mages? I had amnesia!" - Riley

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <09-21-14/0450:49> »
My guess would be, given higher limitations yet higher drain, that the intended restriction was "non-sapient critters", as in no changing into a Sasquatch or Ghoul. Like all spells, the GM decides whether it's even learnable, a player can always simply fail to find the formula. As for clarifications, I know a guy who might have heard something unofficial, and I assume Bull will have something included in the Missions FAQ.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-21-14/0704:27> »
Considering the net-hits-increase-base-stats thing doesn't seem limited by the augmented maximum rule, that's already the case for Shapechange.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <09-21-14/0740:10> »
Considering the net-hits-increase-base-stats thing doesn't seem limited by the augmented maximum rule, that's already the case for Shapechange.

That honestly isn't a very big deal, since getting enough net hits to actually take advantage of that is hardly guaranteed, and there's the issue of drain that immediately accompanies casting the spell that comes into the equation, and you have to cast at a higher force (or use up a very limited supply of reagents/edge) to actually get a large number of net hits. It also doesn't actually help you much unless you're built for Melee. Sure, you can get an Agility of 12 if you do it right, but you can't shoot a gun if you've got paws, so you can't take advantage of it unless your go-to combat solution is to run up and punch things.

A Paracritter Form, on the other hand, can be a guaranteed game breaking scenario every time you cast it. Pick a form with Regeneration, cast at Force 1, and recover from all your wounds in a few seconds. Then stop sustaining and you're good to go. Completely replaces the need for first aid or Heal spells, and can very rapidly bring the entire group back to 100%.
« Last Edit: <09-21-14/0741:50> by Ryo »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #21 on: <09-21-14/0753:45> »
Out of curiosity, what critters are there in the German SR5 version of Parasomething? Do any non-sapient have Regeneration?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!