NEWS

Trying to build just the right gun

• 22 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« on: <09-09-14/0544:16> »
I don't need the best gun or even the coolest gun, but i need it to be right.

It's an assault rifle, first off. It's something that's been used by the same owner in multiple military campaigns, then passed to a child and used through several more. It's been upgraded, changed up, and re-arranged over the years, and is still an effective weapon, comparable to most mainstream tech on the market.

What would yall do?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-09-14/0802:10> »
Take an AK-97 :)

reyjinn

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-09-14/0834:04> »
Take an AK-97 :)
Would've been my recommendation as well, perhaps add external smartgun, gas vent or some such to represent the fact that it has been passed down and improved some while still holding onto that 'my great grandfathers axe' kind of mood.
[Time&Date|Place|Area] "Dialogue" "Non-English" >>Matrix/"Commlink" "Astral" <<Text&email>> Internal&"subvocal"

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #3 on: <09-09-14/1312:29> »
AK-97 or Colt M23.  I agree that it should have an external smartgun system. 

Other ideas:
-- Folding stock, possibly cannibalized from a different weapon model altogether, depending on the armorer skill of the original owner
-- Sling, another avenue to add personality to the weapon and a must for any assault rifle as far as I'm concerned
-- Foregrip, fluff-wise very useful for CQC, and any extra RC is useful.  Of course you could also go the grenade launcher route
-- Slide Mount, if the weapon's been tinkered with, it probably has one of these for ease of tinkering.
-- Gas Vent, as has been touched on, I think this is a solid choice
-- Bayonet, because you can fucking stab somebody with your rifle.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <09-09-14/1351:18> »
The whole "passed on down through the family" thing limits your options to the m23 or the AK97. (Not that these are bad guns.... just old.

Personally, I'd go with the AK... more upgrade options.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #5 on: <09-09-14/1429:04> »
The whole "passed on down through the family" thing limits your options to the m23 or the AK97. (Not that these are bad guns.... just old.

The AK is the objectively better choice as well.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #6 on: <09-09-14/1632:40> »
The Ares Alpha has been around for a while as well.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

adzling

« Reply #7 on: <09-09-14/2206:41> »
fun fact, the border region between pakistan and afghanistan has many mom and pop armorers churning out copies of ak-97s and almost every other gun on the planet. These weapons have been used extensively in the region.
Some have found their way back to the USA through predictable channels....

any how just an idea

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-09-14/2214:35> »
For the cool factor, talk to your GM about upgrading the Springfield M1A in GH3 to a M-14; i.e., give it SA/FA fire modes. Then add toys and go.  8)
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

IST_Audius

• Newb
  • Check out istcomics.com
« Reply #9 on: <09-16-14/1451:36> »
AK-97 or Colt M23.  I agree that it should have an external smartgun system. 

Other ideas:
-- Folding stock,...
-- Bayonet, because you can fucking stab somebody with your rifle.

I laughed pretty hard at that last point.

Also, might want to think about notches on the gun for kill counts, or custom designs on the gun itself (nothing fancy, but something to make it one-of-a-kind),  maybe a name?  Maybe the gun gets stuck unless you do something with it because of how old it is.  Thinking like how some cars need you to turn the key JUST THE RIGHT WAY for it to start.  Just a thought.
It's all fun and games until someone puts 'em away.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-22-14/1227:59> »

Or the FN-HAR.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #11 on: <09-22-14/1331:55> »
Also, might want to think about notches on the gun for kill counts, or custom designs on the gun itself (nothing fancy, but something to make it one-of-a-kind),  maybe a name?  Maybe the gun gets stuck unless you do something with it because of how old it is.  Thinking like how some cars need you to turn the key JUST THE RIGHT WAY for it to start.  Just a thought.

If the GM is willing to work with you, it might be possible to give the weapon an Advanced Safety System, but flavor it as the above. 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #12 on: <09-22-14/1912:29> »
For the cool factor, talk to your GM about upgrading the Springfield M1A in GH3 to a M-14; i.e., give it SA/FA fire modes. Then add toys and go.  8)

I like this idea. Just keep in mind that it would be Vintage, so no Smartgun.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #13 on: <09-22-14/1937:39> »
Thats what an external smartgun link is for :P
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #14 on: <09-24-14/2154:28> »
Quote from: p. 3, Gun Heaven
VINTAGE
The weapon is not compatible with modern electronics. This can be the result of outdated manufacturing, physical
age, or bad design. Physical upgrades are possible, but adding them requires additional work that costs twice the
normal listed amount.

The M1 listed in Gun Heaven is not compatible at all with a Smartgun System, whether internal or external.  Laser Sight should work as a physical upgrade, but Smartgun is definitely "modern electronics".
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)