NEWS

CMP Contacts?

• 11 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« on: <08-30-14/2353:11> »
Is there anywhere we can look up the Connection ratings and areas of influence the CMP contacts have?

So far I have a ton of them and no idea what many are about or how connected they are.

Ones I don't have info for:
Clyde O'Leary
Elizabeth Nunn
Gloria Weathernight
Javier Nunez
Johnny Chu
Julio Fernandez

-k
« Last Edit: <08-30-14/2354:50> by KarmaInferno »

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #1 on: <08-31-14/0030:25> »
I'll have to do some digging, as these are all from CMPs, I believe.  You should have gotten the Connection rating for them when you picked them up, as well as their "type" (Which would cover their area of influence).  Once past the CMPs, they generally get treated like any other contact you've bought because they usually won't show up again (Though that's not always the case).

I'll see if I can collect all these and post them somewhere.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #2 on: <08-31-14/0723:07> »
Thanks!

And yes, ideally I probably should have gotten the little printout with the connection and info, but not all conventions / GMs were handing them out, plus the chaos of rushing to the next slot, etc...

-k

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-31-14/0732:26> »
O'Leary, Nunez, Weathernight, and Chu are all Connection Rating 3.  I haven't gotten the other two yet.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #4 on: <08-31-14/1435:09> »
Thanks!

And yes, ideally I probably should have gotten the little printout with the connection and info, but not all conventions / GMs were handing them out, plus the chaos of rushing to the next slot, etc...

-k

Yeah.  That's something we're weeding out from the cons.  Those little printouts are a massive pain in the butt to organize, and add a ton to our printing costs every show, since we need to print out 3 pages of them per event (we try and have 8 per event, and they're 3 per page), but sometimes no one needs them, so we end up with a ton left (But when we underprint, inevitably we run short, so figure).

(Just as a note, with an average of 3 contacts per Mission, and us running 150+ missions at gen con, that's 450 of the little sheets there alone.  Even assuming taht we can somehow print the exact number we needed, that's still 150 extra pages printed.  But in reality it ends up being 200-250 pages.  Plus the cutting.  Oh my god, the cutting... :))

Since the main Season Contacts are available in a nice little booklet format for download, we figure players can download and print that off themselves if they want the full info, or just track the type, loyalty, and connection.

Bull

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-31-14/2321:32> »
Julio Fernandez is Connection 6.  No, that's not a typo... :)

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #6 on: <09-01-14/0736:26> »
Julio Fernandez is Connection 6.  No, that's not a typo... :)

Yeah, I first saw that yesterday looking at a mission log (from Gen Con, I think).  I have a hard time believing that's not a typo on the sheet itself, because we've had no Connection 6 contacts before in Missions and Julio isn't that cool.  I didn't see his Connection rating on any of the paperwork I got at Origins (where I did the whole Company Men arc), so I figured him for Connection 3 (maybe 4 if you're stretching it).

On the other hand, he's a Mr. Johnson, so he's probably not going to be getting gear for you.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <09-01-14/1020:27> »
Remember also in SR 5 connections go to 12 now
Co-Host of CriticalGlitch a Shadowrun podcast Criticalglitch.com

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-01-14/1209:55> »
Remember also in SR 5 connections go to 12 now

Having SRM contacts go past Connection 5 would be pretty crazy considering the special rules they use for acquiring gear.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-01-14/1906:38> »
Having SRM contacts go past Connection 5 would be pretty crazy considering the special rules they use for acquiring gear.
Actually, that seems quite intentional to me.  A character can come out of character creation with a Connection 5, Loyalty 2 contact.  Connection+Connection+Loyalty gives you 12 dice, which buys 3 hits.  You can purchase anything up to Availability 15 (which still only gets 3 hits) by going through that contact.  It's also possible to create a Face that has 20 dice - Charisma 9, Negotiation (Bargaining) 6 ( 8 ), Tailored Pheremones 2 (+2), Berwick Suit (+1).  A character like that can get anything up to Availability 23. 

Company Men is a convention-only series of adventures, that gives a Connection 6 contact.  If you are dedicated enough to play all four adventures, and succeed at each one (which is harder than it sounds, particularly with the last two), there is the potential of getting the contact up to Loyalty 4.  That's 16 dice, or 4 hits, which gives you access to gear up to Availability 19...as long as it is something in the contact's area of expertise.  That seems reasonable for an experienced Missions character.  The character I play (lifetime Karma of 95) has nearly 100,000 Nuyen to his name, because I haven't had the ability to purchase the high Availability gear I want.  Now, I'm starting to make plans to spend that Nuyen.

On the other hand, he's a Mr. Johnson, so he's probably not going to be getting gear for you.
I'd disagree with that - just look at Juan Xihuitl or Maggie Goldberg, the Mr./Ms. Johnsons listed in the season 5 contacts.  Both handouts say the following:
Uses: Jobs, Corporate Information, Gear

In fact, the one exception I've seen is Sarah Silverleaf, and I think her reluctance to provide gear is due to her personality (a manipulative tease)...
« Last Edit: <09-01-14/1916:20> by Fedifensor »

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #10 on: <09-01-14/1923:04> »
I'd disagree with that - just look at Juan Xihuitl or Maggie Goldberg, the Mr./Ms. Johnsons listed in the season 5 contacts.  Both handouts say the following:
Uses: Jobs, Corporate Information, Gear

In fact, the one exception I've seen is Sarah Silverleaf, and I think her reluctance to provide gear is due to her personality (a manipulative tease)...

In these cases, true.  But that's not the standard for a Johnson, so it shouldn't be assumed until a ruling comes out.  Sarah Silverleaf is closer to the book-standard Johnson.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Tacitus05

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-03-14/0415:40> »
As one who played all of Company men at gencon, that were the most challenging series of runs yet, I see the payoff as having a contact who can get you that level of gear. Two of those runs I had to really think outside the box ( thank you to the gms who let us go off the rails)