NEWS

Help building physical adept

• 14 Replies

nanaki626

• Newb
« on: <08-28-14/2334:54> »
So in my Shadowrun campaign my character just died and I need to roll up a replacement for him.   Only problem is I am still fairly new to this game and a friend helped me with the last one.  I am looking to make a physical adept character, basically big, dumb, and punches things to death.

If anyone can give me some tips, advice, and/or ideas that could help in building this character I would greatly appreciate it.

subgenius

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-29-14/0026:04> »
For a combat based adept, I personally like going with the following setup:

A - Attributes
B - Skills
C - Magic
D - Metatype (human)
E - Resources

You'll have 3 special attribute points so you can bump your magic up to 6 and keep an edge of 3, which should be fine. If you want to be a dumb brute, you will have more than enough attribute points to beef yourself up, but try not to skimp on willpower and intuition too badly as they affect your defense and combat speed respectively.

10 karma will basically have to be spent on resources if you want to be able to afford a good fake SIN, a lifestyle, some kind of transportation and a few other basics. For the rest though, you'll be wide open. There will be more than enough skills to handle combat (usually one ranged and one close combat skill are enough) and whatever secondary focus you'd like the character to have. Quality wise, exceptional attribute magic can be nice to get an extra power point. This will drop your edge to 2, but it's worth it in my opinion, particularly if you can manage to find 15 karma to raise the edge back up to 3. Adepts usually have plenty of karma in chargen, so this shouldn't be too bad.
« Last Edit: <08-29-14/0028:15> by subgenius »

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-29-14/0048:12> »
Exactly how big are we talking? Should I make you a troll?
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-29-14/0048:28> »
I am fairly new as well, but was going to make an adept unarmed troll, might be up your ally.

Priorities: Troll,Attributes,Magic:adept,resources,skills (skills and resources can be swapped)

Body:9
Agil: 4
Strength:10
Reaction: 3 ( 6 )
Wil:5
Log:1
Int:1(+2 from karma purchase)(3)
Cha:3

Edge: 3
Magic: (7)

Qualities: (whatever negative 25 worth you want) (i like an uncommon moderate allergy,maybe astral beacon,and national SIN)
Exceptional attribute (magic),mentor spirit (shark)

Adept powers: Improved reflexes 3 (3.5K), Improved ability 3(unarmed) (1.5k), Penetrating strike 4 (1k), Killing hands (free mentor), Attribute boost (strength 2)(free magic priority),Critical strike (unarmed)(.5k), Attribute boost (agility 2) (.5k)

Skills are alittle tight, but fit with the theme. Just make sure to max unarmed, and specialize in an unarmed combat style (i like bareknuckle boxing for backstory purposes), make sure to get some form of ranged combat (i like 5 longarms(specialization sniper rifle), and the remaining 5 as you see fit for party needs.

Im new, but hopefully that helps.

Has the potential, when self prepped up to do about 15 base damage(-4ap) with unarmed, plus hits, and around 20 dice for unarmed, right outta the box, plus should easily get 3 actions per turn with your 9+4d6 initiative. Make sure and pick up a shield, helmet, and armored jacket, so you have 20 armor base at least.
« Last Edit: <08-29-14/0055:53> by Shrazkil »

nanaki626

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-29-14/0051:06> »
Exactly how big are we talking? Should I make you a troll?

I was thinking of going the troll route.

subgenius

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-29-14/0104:51> »
Attribute boost (strength 2)(free magic priority

I think you're a little off on this one. The freebie from the magic priority is a level 2 skill, not an adept power. Not to worry though, because attribute boost strength doesn't affect your damage (the power states it's only for dice pools) so it can be dropped without a problem. I'd also drop agility boost down to 1 personally, the second level doesn't get you much more of a benefit.

Overall what Shrazkill suggested will work fine if you want a magical bruiser. He's going to be very one dimensional given the low skill priority, but if that dimention is punching things hard, he might be what you're looking for  :P

8-bit

« Reply #6 on: <08-29-14/0107:08> »
I have a character here that you can use if you want to. You may or may not have Street Grimoire, so you might need to get the book to explain some of it to your GM.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uoF8tnSnA9Hbvf3aJVUKNxcAoJyJ1L0xmSycbQ70qqQ/edit#gid=0

I would recommend against a "dumb" character. Sure, you can build one that isn't the super smart college educated guy, but if you're correctly roleplaying the 1 Logic, 1 Charisma guy, he's a complete idiot that no one really wants around since he's more a nuisance than anything else. If you want a character who is built using only the SR5 books, I'll list one below. Just note, that it may not be the most optimized character. Add whatever name, Alias, and backstory you want. Also, he's not big, because he's a dwarf.

-- Priorities --
Metatype C (Dwarf)
Attributes A
Magic B
Skills D
Resources E

-- Karma Expenditure --
50 Total
-19 in Qualities
-10 for 20,000 nuyen
-10 to raise Edge to 2
-6 for Skills
-5 for Contacts

0 Left

-- Attributes --
Body 7
Agility 4
Reaction 4 (7)
Strength 8 (9)
Willpower 3
Logic 3
Intuition 5
Charisma 3
Edge 2
Essence 6
Magic 7

Initiative - 12 + 4d6
Physical Condition Monitor - 12
Stun Condition Monitor - 10
Physical Limit - 11
Mental Limit - 5
Social Limit - 5

-- Qualities --
Adept
Thermographic Vision - Racial
+2 Dice to resist Pathogens and Toxins - Racial
Exceptional Attribute - Magic (-14 Karma)
Mentor Spirit - Shark (-5 Karma)
Astral Beacon (+10 Karma)
Combat Junkie (+7 Karma)
Social Stress (+8 Karma)

-- Skills --
Perception 6 (+2 Visual) - Dice pool of 11 (13)
Sneaking 5 (+2 Urban) - Dice pool of 9 (11)
Throwing Weapons (+2 Blades) - Dice pool of 10 (12)
Unarmed Combat (+2 from Mentor Spirit) [+3 from Improved Ability) - Dice pool of 15
Ettiquette 1 - Dice pool of 4 (might not do much, but you never know)
Running 1 - Dice pool of 10
Swimming 1 - Dice pool of 10

-- Knowledge/Language Skills --
English N
Japanese 6
High Threat Response Times 6 - Street
Seattle Streets 6 - Street (substitute wherever your campaign is)
Shadow Community 4 - Street

-- Gear --
Armor Jacket w/ Nonconductivity 6 - 2,500 nuyen
30 Shuriken - 750 nuyen
Rating 4 Fake SIN (John Doe, substitute whatever name you want) - 10,000 nuyen
Rating 4 Fake License (Shuriken) - 800 nuyen
Rating 4 Fake License (Registered Adept) - 800 nuyen
Transys Avalon Commlink - 5,000 nuyen
3 Meta Link Commlinks - 300 nuyen (throwaway links)
1 Gold Credstick, 3 Silver Credsticks - 160 nuyen
Capacity 4 Glasses w/ Flare Compensation, Image Link, Low-Light Vision, and Vision Magnification - 1,425 nuyen
Low Lifestyle (Apartment), 1 month - 2,400 nuyen

Remaining Money - 1,865 + (3d6 x 60) nuyen

-- Adept Powers --
Killing Hands - Free from Mentor Spirit
Improved Reflexes 3 - 3.5 PP
Combat Sense 2 - 1.0 PP
Improved Physical Attribute (Strength) - 1.0 PP
Improved Ability (Unarmed Combat) 3 - 1.5 PP

-- Contacts --
Fixer: Connection 4, Loyalty 3
Street Doc: Connection 2, Loyalty 5
« Last Edit: <08-29-14/0154:16> by 8-bit »

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <08-29-14/0142:15> »

I think you're a little off on this one. The freebie from the magic priority is a level 2 skill, not an adept power. Not to worry though, because attribute boost strength doesn't affect your damage (the power states it's only for dice pools) so it can be dropped without a problem. I'd also drop agility boost down to 1 personally, the second level doesn't get you much more of a benefit.

Overall what Shrazkill suggested will work fine if you want a magical bruiser. He's going to be very one dimensional given the low skill priority, but if that dimention is punching things hard, he might be what you're looking for  :P
Thanks Sub,i always thought that was just an activatable power. So its just any active skill? That helps with lower skill rating i guess.

As for 1 logic, its just one of the first things you raise as you go. 1 logic especially in 5e, does not have to be played at all as an idiot, can just be played as someone who acts irrationally, or with little thought to consequences, and with increasing it to 2-3 with karma, you can play it as just uneducated in alot of areas (gladiator or freed slave type) and now is gaining bearings in the shadows.
« Last Edit: <08-29-14/0149:49> by Shrazkil »

subgenius

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <08-29-14/0145:19> »
Yep, it's any active skill. Not as nice as the 8-10 points mages get for free in their priority, but definitely better than nothing (particularly when the skill priority is so low, as you point out).

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-29-14/0152:17> »
I'm playing a   Troll Melee Adept myself
I choose Prio
A = Troll
B = Attributes
C = Skills
D = Magic/Adept
D = Resources
Qualities:
Exceptional Attr MAG
Patron Shark
Fast Healing°
Toughness°
WIL1-->2
Martial Arts Sinanju
Connections & Cas (2 leftover Points)
Corp Born SIN (Shiawase)
Attributes :
BOD 7+°
AGI 5+°
REA 5(7)
STR 10
WIL 2
LOG 1
INT 5
CHA 2
Edge 1
MAG 7
Ini 12+ 3D6
Limits :
Phy 12
Ment 3
Soc 4

7 Powerpoints:
2.5 Improved Reflexes Lvl 2
0.5 Critical Strike (unarmed)
1.0 improved Skill lvl2 (unarmed )
0.5 Attribute Rush ( AGI Lvl 1 / BOD Lvl 1)°
2.0 Combat reflexe Lvl 4
0.5 Elemental Strike Fire
Shark : Killing Hands

Skills:
Athletic Group 2
Boats (Spec Sailing Boats) 1
Navigation 1
Diving (Spec Free diving) 1
Etiquette (Spec Martial Arts) 1
Perception (Sp Sight) 1
Pilot Ground (Sp Bikes) 1
Clubs (Sp Hammer) 1
Throwing Weapons ( Sp Throwing Blades) 6
Unarmed Combat (Sp Counterattack) 6

---
I like to plan ahead a little
Char has spend now 14 Karma , I used 10 to raise his LOG--->2 and 4 Clubs -->2
Next in Line is WIL --->3 and Edge ---> 2 and 3
after 50 Karma spend ,I'll save some for an  Initiation: I' m looking forward to Elemental Weapon (Flaming Sledgehammer of Doom) and enhanced Precision Clubs and Throwing
2nd Initiation will be Metatechnik Adept Centering and 3rd will be another PP for Missile Mastery
(but those two Initiations will be in the > 100 Karma Future)

I'm quite fond of Him (Troll Melee Adepts can really be Awesome if done properly )
He's got 16 Dice to Dodge
When I get maximum Armor he'll have 30 Dice to Soak
Does 12K (Fire) Damage with his bare Fist and knows the Maneuver Counterstrike ( pool  17 Dice)
Later , with his Flaming Hammer of Doom I'm expecting 15 K Flaming Damage ( ACC 5 or 6 )

with a proud Dance
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <08-29-14/0250:47> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

subgenius

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <08-29-14/0159:22> »
What powers did you go with?

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-29-14/0224:23> »
Trying my hand too.
Troll A
Attributes B
Skills C
Magic D
Resources E

B 7
A 4
R 3 (6)
S 10
W 5
I 3
L 2
C 2
Edge 2
Magic 6
Initiative 6(9)+4d6
Limits: S 5, M 4, P 10 (11).

Qualities: Natural athlete(-7), mentor spirit - shark(-5), Incompetent: firearms (+5), mild uncommon allergy - natural beef (+5), Uneducated (+8), Simsense vertigo (+5).
Martial art - Krav Maga, maneuvers: called shot (disarm), constrictor's crush (12 karma)

Skills:
Unarmed 6(+2) Krav maga
Thrown weapons 6 (+2) blades
Sneaking 4
Intimidate 4 (+2) physical
Con 4 (+2) fast talk
Arcana 1 - 2 karma
Atletics skill group 2

Adept powers:
Improved reflexes 3 - 3.5pp, Killing hands - free, Combat sense 2 - 1pp, Improved ability (unarmed) 3 -1.5 pp, Attribute boost (agility) 1 - Force 1 Qi focus tattoo (2karma).
10 karma for „20000 (-„3000 for a Qi focus).

Make sure to grab some throwing knives and grenades.

« Last Edit: <08-29-14/0248:31> by ZeldaBravo »
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-29-14/0242:34> »
@ 8-bit
Sure, you can build one that isn't the super smart college educated guy, but if you're correctly roleplaying the 1 Logic, 1 Charisma guy, he's a complete idiot that no one really wants around since he's more a nuisance than anything else
My troll started with LOG 1
but that was because he came from a paradise Island ,didn't go to school and relied more on his physics instead of his Brain.
It was Fun playing him a bit estranged and helpless with technology, but this lasted only for 1 big Run
now he is a bit accustomed and starts to learn because he realizes that in the Sprawls and in the Shadows it's not enough to be tough  and strong.
He is a valuable Member in our Group within his specialty (Close Combat Fighting and Tank and Heacts as a Bodyguard for our Decker. She's a Librarian and teaches him Computer Lessons and develops his Intelligence that was unused for so long a time.
Excellent Ground for intense Roleplaying

With a happy Dance
Medicineman

8-bit

« Reply #13 on: <08-29-14/1025:48> »
@Medicineman

I'm not opposed to 1 Logic, but when you have multiple mental stats at 1 then your character likely has some sort of problem. One stat at 1 isn't a problem, because it only takes a few runs to increase it to 2, but when you have to wait for 20 karma to get two stats to 2, which is still below average, then it's clear to me that fluff-wise, your character has some issues developing their mental skills. I mean, 20 karma to go from minimum of a living being to below average is about the equivalent of 2-4 months.

Like I said, one stat at 1 is not a problem, it's when someone plays a multiple stat guy like a 1 Logic and 1 Charisma guy. If you pull it off correctly through roleplaying, good for you, but most people I'm sure would not want to roleplay his severe lack of intelligence as it is marked. I mean, I wouldn't be letting the 1 Logic + 1 Charisma guy have any part in any plan making, I would sigh inwardly if he tried to negotiate, and I sure want him under close watch so he doesn't happen to do something to jeopardize the mission. So yeah, just 1 Logic I have no problem with, but you shouldn't try to munchkin with several stats at 1 and then pretend that they don't exist.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-29-14/1044:10> »
So yeah, just 1 Logic I have no problem with, but you shouldn't try to munchkin with several stats at 1 and then pretend that they don't exist.
If I would ever play a Char with 2 Attributes at 1 (because there's not enough Points or some)
I'd sure would set his sights lower until I can raise his Attributes asap. And pretending that they don't exist is (ImO) the wrong way !  I'd choose the opposite directionand try ...to put a spotlight on his inability, but only once or twice,as others need Spotlight too !
A Char with LOG 1 and CHA 1 is definitely not a leader but a follower and Gullible.
I would also try to balance his attributes somehow.(f.E. low LOG but High INT so he manages to survive more by Instinct than by Brains)

....but,say ,aren't we a bit Offtopic ??

with a dance offroad
Medicineman

« Last Edit: <08-29-14/1048:16> by Medicineman »