NEWS

[5e OOC] It Started at the Belmont

• 1239 Replies

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #690 on: <10-20-14/1628:29> »
Thanks, I'm not a writer, just been doing PbP for a while. There are times I prefer it to IRL gaming because (at least from my experience) most people don't really do the IC thing when sitting around the table. It's usually "My character does X" or "I say Y". I actually kind of prefer that to RPing around a table because some people tend to take it to the ridiculous conclusion (No, I don't want to hear your troll voice for the eleventy-billionth time), but really like to cut-loose and do the whole RP thing on a forum like this. Plus, it makes the whole thing interesting to read when it's all said and done.

Yeah, taking agency over another person's character is a tricky subject. The characterization may not come across correctly. I just tossed it up here to help out RnB. If anyone has issues, please let me know what to change and I'll be happy to do it. It's actually funny, we do it semi-frequently in another game and the rationalization is that what each character posts is more a recollection of the event, which may not be a perfect recall of what really happened. It allows you to insert things that might not necessarily be true, but shaded by the character's own prejudices and perspective. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Leverage (you should watch it if you aren't, lots of similarities to Shadowrun with respect to planning and executing jobs with a team), but one of the funniest episodes is when the team realizes they actually met each other previously during a job where they were all going after the same object. You get to see the job from each of the team members perspectives and their characterizations of each other were hilarious.

I think the exit strategy discussion will evolve into everyone. I figure one of us will say (rather quickly), "Shit, we might want to involve the muscle in this discussion!"
« Last Edit: <10-20-14/1631:23> by JackVII »
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #691 on: <10-20-14/1645:10> »
I don't mind a little leeway with other peoples characters, minor things and all, but with one or two objections.

1- Ian doesn't grumble. He's either quiet or he addresses the situation. There's no under the breath or anything like that for him.

2- The last thing he would do is get a waitresses phone number, and if she gave it to him without being requested, THEN, the last thing he would do is talk about it at ALL let alone brag about it. he'd find the whole affair rather embarrassing. "Still got it" is a phrase that doesn't really apply to him, as he's painfully aware that he never had it.

3- He's only got 5 dice in spanish, and is rocking a social limit of 1 while speaking it, so he might not be the best to take the lead on this. He speaks, what he calls "kitchen spanish". Enough to get a shitty SINless job, y'know?

Hopeless has changed in outward demeanor since his team started dropping off and his link got hacked. He only SEEMS confidant because he's terrified that if he doesn't do the best job of faking it he's ever done, that he and the good dr ken are gonna die in great pain.
« Last Edit: <10-20-14/1657:12> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #692 on: <10-20-14/1652:11> »
Jen would've slipped Hopeless her number when she brought out their "tab."  Probably nobody but Hopeless would've caught it, and she's a little shy about the whole thing.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #693 on: <10-20-14/1658:38> »
Cool.

- I changed the grumbling stuff to just Hopeless complaining with good reason.
- I entirely omitted the stuff about getting Jen's number. That part, I put wholly in Bookworm's perspective so I left it as her misreading Hopeless being a bit subdued to Jen's gesture of billing the college kids for our drinks.
- Unless we're really rolling (which I don't think we are since we were going to just gloss over this part), one rank in a language skill is all you need. Also, language capability doesn't introduce a limit, it just limits the number of social skill dice you can throw. You and Breeze have the same number of dice, but you're a little bit more charismatic than he is, so you're the winner ;)
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #694 on: <10-20-14/1701:06> »
language capability doesn't introduce a limit, it just limits the number of social skill dice you can throw.

oh shit!  :) NICE. yet another rule i been doin wrong all this time.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #695 on: <10-21-14/1441:21> »
Updating my last IC post to allow for Elektrycerze3 to be part of the discussion.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #696 on: <10-21-14/1724:32> »
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #697 on: <10-21-14/2120:59> »
No problem, E!

So I made a bunch of stuff up, but I'm kind of assuming 2075 isn't going to be so different than how law enforcement interacts with students in college towns in today's day and age. If that is wildly off, please let me know RnB and I'll change it as needed!
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #698 on: <10-22-14/0804:18> »
The Google Map has an overlay called Pit Party or something like that. Take a look at it if you want to get a good idea of the area. There are some ARO notations that Bookworm placed as suggestions.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #699 on: <10-22-14/1203:05> »
I've just noticed that you've put Error's house as "дом" =) You deserve more likes.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #700 on: <10-22-14/1204:15> »
:) I was running out of terms between Crib, etc. So I figured I'd find out what the Russian word for house was...
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #701 on: <10-22-14/1204:26> »
No problem, E!

So I made a bunch of stuff up, but I'm kind of assuming 2075 isn't going to be so different than how law enforcement interacts with students in college towns in today's day and age. If that is wildly off, please let me know RnB and I'll change it as needed!

It's iffy.  One major difference is the unis of 2075 are again only for elites.  Even most of your middle class corpsman families are only going to send their kids to corp-sponsored votechs, etc, so pretty much anybody at A&M is going to be expected to be at least a few pay grades beyond what any Lonestar grunt could ever dream of, and those kid's parents are definitely going to be pulling weight.  This is one of the reasons why the exchange on Friday is even on the news -- these are "nice" kids getting tear gassed and sprayed down with gel rounds.  That type of shit doesn't happen.  So, in general, local LE are somewhat deferential to the college caste.  On the other hand, A&M accepts students on scholarships, some of whom are even SINless prior to attending -- especially if they are awakened -- and the Star is under pressure from the board and parents of the "good" kids to keep that street influence away from the institution.  So, nice corp kids blowing off steam at the pit, that's just boys will be boys, but those low class kids getting in on that might bring drugs or other destructive elements into the mix that are definitely unwelcome. 

As for the map, the only difference between what you see and what will exist in 2075 is that the lake is mostly dried up.  It's less than a third the size at what shows on the map and is very shallow.  Expect mosquitoes the size of small birds.

Are we ready to get there?  What time are you guys planning on showing up?  What's the marching order?  Who's where?  I'll get an IC post up when that's covered to let you guys know what you see, what the place looks like, etc.  Also, as I run Breeze I'm assuming he's staying on matrix overwatch?  I'd also like Perception checks from everyone for once they get in place.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #702 on: <10-22-14/1237:36> »
@RnB: Thanks. That's pretty much what I was imagining, even without considering the SINless scholarship kids. I figure the cops would pay particular interest to anyone that didn't fit the "college kid" mold for that very reason (drugs, etc). One follow-up: is the Star providing campus security or does A&M have their own security force? In other words, who was shooting the kids the other day?

If anyone is looking at the alternate parking spot for the car. It's located south of the party area (Marked with a P). It's about 0.75 kilometers from the party through the woods. I think that is the only other detail we need to figure out. If Breeze is going to do Matrix Overwatch, he's going to need to be on-site to have a chance of spotting hidden icons. He might be able to hide on top of one of the storage containers or just in the woods with his Chameleon Suit activated. This means that Bookworm is also going to have to be physically in attendance if we don't want her staying with the vehicle by herself. She'd probably be more useful in person in any event since she can't cast much from the astral plane and doesn't summon spirits.

My thoughts on answers to your questions:
Start?: Once we figure out where the car is going to be parked, I think we're good to start.
Arrival: I was figuring we would show up with the beer at 8PM to start to get it iced down. Bookworm would want to put together a few preparations in advance as well. I'll put up another post for those separately.
Where: Error in the pit, Hopeless hanging around that area for now, Bookworm in the general vicinity of the pit trying to blend, and Breeze hiding somewhere on Matrix Overwatch

Perception: INT (5) + Perception (2) + VE (1) [9] (8d6.hits(5)=6) (Holy Shit!) <- Assuming no modifiers for drain.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #703 on: <10-22-14/1311:34> »
Bookworm's Preparations (Starting at 8PM):

Heal Preparation (1): F3 Heal (Command): MAG (5) + Alchemy (4) [3] 9d6.hits(5)=4
Preparation Resist: Force (3) 3d6.hits(5)=2
Drain Resist (2S): WIL (6) + LOG (6) 12d6.hits(5)=5

F3/P1 Heal, Full potency until 11PM, No drain

Heal Preparation (2): F3 Heal (Command): MAG (5) + Alchemy (4) [3] 9d6.hits(5)=2
Preparation Resist: Force (3) 3d6.hits(5)=1
Drain Resist (2S): WIL (6) + LOG (6) 12d6.hits(5)=2

F3/P1 Heal, Full potency until 11PM, No drain

Heal Preparation (3): F3 Heal (Command): MAG (5) + Alchemy (4) [3] 9d6.hits(5)=1
Preparation Resist: Force (3) 3d6.hits(5)=2
Drain Resist (2S): WIL (6) + LOG (6) 12d6.hits(5)=3

Failure, No drain

Heal Preparation (4): F3 Heal (Command): MAG (5) + Alchemy (4) [3] 9d6.hits(5)=3
Preparation Resist: Force (3) 3d6.hits(5)=0
Drain Resist (2S): WIL (6) + LOG (6) 12d6.hits(5)=6

F3/P3 Heal, Full potency until 3AM, No drain

Levitate Preparation: F2 Levitate (Command): MAG (5) + Alchemy (4) [2] 9d6.hits(5)=3
Preparation Resist: Force (2) 2d6.hits(5)=1
Drain Resist (2S): WIL (6) + LOG (6) 12d6.hits(5)=2

F2/P1 Levitate, Full potency until 11PM, No drain

Note: I screwed up the first Barrier roll and only rolled two dice for the Barrier resistance test (it should have been 4). It would have been a failure with no drain in any event, so I just corrected the dice and re-rolled.

Barrier Preparation: F4 Barrier (Command): MAG (5) + Alchemy (4) [4] 9d6.hits(5)=3
Preparation Resist: Force (4) 4d6.hits(5)=1
Drain Resist (5S): WIL (6) + LOG (6) 12d6.hits(5)=7

F4/P2 Barrier, Full potency until 1AM, No drain

Takes about 20 minutes total. She'll distribute the three heal preparations to Hopeless (F3/P3), Breeze (F3/P1), and herself (F3/P1). Having seen images/video of Error fighting, I imagine she can figure out that he is heavily cybered up and would be a poor candidate for a Heal preparation.
« Last Edit: <11-26-14/2344:24> by JackVII »
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #704 on: <10-22-14/1347:38> »
It was school sec. who did the shooting at campus.  Lonestar covers College Station proper, while school sec. is king on campus.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal