NEWS

Weapon Foci Cyberlimbs

• 43 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <07-23-14/2149:32> »
Which is why if you want to, for example, turn your motorcycle into a Force 6 Qi Focus (Improved Ability (Pilot Groundcraft) 3), you typically pay an NPC, rather than doing the work yourself.
The problem with that is finding an NPC who's skilled enough to do that kind of job, and affording their increased rates.
That's something your GM will have to decide, though - I didn't see any rules about a changing Availability or Cost difference beyond reading "if the item you want as a focus is expensive, you'll have to pay for that too in addition to the regular focus costs".

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <07-23-14/2257:23> »
I feel like built in knucks should be a common cyberweapon....

Wanna help me do a write-up of what they would be like?
Cyberknucks
(STR+1P), AP -,  Essence .2, Capacity [2], Availability 6R, 1000¥
Maybe even retractable like some of the other weapons.... or simply difficult to notice. Maybe a concealability modifier.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: <07-23-14/2311:36> by Devil »

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <07-24-14/0105:45> »
Which is why if you want to, for example, turn your motorcycle into a Force 6 Qi Focus (Improved Ability (Pilot Groundcraft) 3), you typically pay an NPC, rather than doing the work yourself.
The problem with that is finding an NPC who's skilled enough to do that kind of job, and affording their increased rates.
That's something your GM will have to decide, though - I didn't see any rules about a changing Availability or Cost difference beyond reading "if the item you want as a focus is expensive, you'll have to pay for that too in addition to the regular focus costs".
Well, I would put it more along the lines of restricting the Force of possible Foci. Object Resistance and in addition the Force as opposed dicepool? This severly cuts into the possible results, especially with the risk of high drain.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <07-25-14/1237:10> »
Cyberarm can be a focus if made into a focus before you install and pay essence for it. Very high object resistance will make it hard to enchant,  but not impossible...

But an arm or leg is not a  weapon . Only  weapon can be made into a weapon focus.

Cyberspur is a weapon . Cyberspur can be a weapon focus.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <07-25-14/1251:52> »
It seems to me anything can be a weapon.  I can hit someone with a chair, so it's a weapon.  So I could have a chair as a weapon focus.  It's be quite the waste of resources, but whatever, you can do it.

It seems to me that if cyber spurs can be a focus (and it's pretty clear they can) there's no reason that you can't have a cyberarm focus.

If you really think it's all that big a deal, couldn't you have Knucks built into the hand, enchant those?  (reinforced knuckles, really)

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <07-26-14/0334:44> »
your cyberspur is a weapon.
your cyberspur can be a weapon focus.
it will help you with your Unarmed Combat (Cyber Melee Weapon) skill.

your cybertorso is not a weapon...

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <07-26-14/0436:53> »
Really feels like splitting hairs to me to say a shock hand is a weapon, but a cyber hand is not.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #37 on: <07-26-14/1020:14> »
Except a shock-hand isn't the entire hand, it's basically a capacitor and some taser nodes built into the palm/fingers.  It isn't articulated fingers and joints that function due to the connection to your nervous system.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

martinchaen

« Reply #38 on: <07-26-14/1412:30> »
And that's not splitting hairs how, exactly? The bottom line of this argument is not one of rules, but of opinions.

Some think limbs are not weapons, others do. Some think there should be a difference in cost depending on the complexity of the weapon, others don't.

The facts are, as Xenon pointed out, that the rules only specify that the weapon focus has to be a melee weapon. There is no mention that making a complex weapon into a weapon focus is any different in terms of cost and availability compared to a simple one. This is entirely a GM call.

If it was my table, I'd let a character begin the game with a cyberlimb weapon focus at the standard cost. To get one made after the game began it would have to be enchanted while not implanted, potentially requiring surgery. Would it be impossible? No. Would it be difficult? Probably not. Why? Because a cyberlimb weapon focus is no different to my mind compared to a cyberweapon weapon focus; in fact, the spur is going to be more effective, so I don't personally see any reason for restricting this at all.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #39 on: <07-26-14/1428:14> »
Meh.

I say go for it. As a weapon focus, the cyberarm will only give you bonus dice when you use it in melee combat and has no baring in any other action you do.

However, expect to pay for the cyberarm AND weapon focus costs. (Which I am sure you were).
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #40 on: <07-26-14/1453:02> »
In Street Grimoire's section on talismongering, it discusses the difficulties inherent with enchanting.  Apparently the material of the object does have some factor, it must be ritually cleaned, etc.  So it might be hard to enchant a cyber-weapon with any kind of success for the simple fact that the material is highly processed, and probably not been ritually prepared.  That doesn't stop it from happening, but it does provide some sort of guideline on how to handle the request as a GM.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <07-26-14/1601:41> »
Yeah, i think everyone agrees it is hard. The higher tech something, the harder to affect it with magic. But you still can.

And like martinchaen described, it's not even especially effective.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #42 on: <08-05-14/1628:13> »
your cyberspur is a weapon.
your cyberspur can be a weapon focus.
it will help you with your Unarmed Combat (Cyber Melee Weapon) skill.

your cybertorso is not a weapon...

What about my Cyberskull if I use it to headbutt someone.

Sorry, I had to go there.   ::)

I'd have to ask the OP,  why would you want the entire limb to be a Weapon Focus when Cyber-Weapons do so much better damage ?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <08-05-14/1645:36> »
What about my Cyberskull if I use it to headbutt someone.
than You should better wait for the  Augmentationsbook.
In SR4A there was retrectable Cyberhorns or Cyberfangs (for Vampire wannabees/Poser)
You can make a Cyberhorn Weaponfocus (same like Weaponfokus retractable Spurs)

I'd have to ask the OP,  why would you want the entire limb to be a Weapon Focus when Cyber-Weapons do so much better damage ?
Thats what I 'd like to know too  ,make it a +1 from Me :D

with a curious Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8