NEWS

Missions Legal book list

• 20 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #15 on: <07-24-14/1920:17> »
Posting here to keep official list thread free of clutter.

Doesn't affect me directly, but the thought occurred to me - we have a number of folks playing Missions in other parts of the world besides the US.

The thing is... some of the localized language versions of the books have rules changes incorporated that are not present in the Catalyst published editions.

The German edition, for example, includes price changes and rules fixes that aren't in the English edition.

And it's likely folks over there will mostly have the versions of the books made for their country and language, not the Catalyst published English ones.

How do folks in such situations handle what books are legal?

-k

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #16 on: <07-24-14/2143:51> »
Long and short of it is:  Catalyst produced books are what we go by. 

Foreign Language editions are licensed from CGL, and while we work with several of the foreign language companies (The German and French, specifically) from time to time to coordinate things and I think that they run general storylines by Jason (Maybe?) to make sure they're not doing something crazy like Killing Lofwyr and replacing him with an Immortal Parrot named Sam who used to ride around on Harlequin's shoulder for fun, a the end of the day we don't have any major review and approval process.  We don't get, for example, the German stuff translated back to ENglish and sent to us, and very few (if any) of the freelancers, developers, or CGL staff speak German.  So the rules "fixes" and such that get added into the foreign language products aren't tested by CGL, or even approved by CGL most of the time.  We don't even often know what they did.

I myself have 4 years of High School Latin to fall back on, but that was over 20 years ago and I wasn't the best student at the time, so what I remember is...  iffy at best anyway.  So I'm not gonna be reviewing German or French products to check their compatibility with Missions :)

Long story short, Missions is 100% based on the English CGL produced products, our release dates, and nothing else.  I'm really glad that Missions gets played in other countries, and encourage the foreign language speaking fanbases to play them when they can, but we don't have the capability to police other language editions at all.  The fact that we can still sucker convince writers and artists to work on Missions for the pittance that we pay them is a miracle in the first place.

If one of the foreign licensors wants to set up their own version of Missions specifically for the foreign language editions, I'd be happy to coordinate with a foreign language liaison to help them out, but that's way beyond the scope or ability of my job to do myself.

Tacitus05

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <08-22-14/1905:19> »
Since Street Grimore hit the shelves at Gencon, can we use it in thirty days?

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #18 on: <08-23-14/0232:06> »
No, sorry.  A slight exception was made to fit Run & Gun and Stolen Souls to fit them in for Gen Con.  Run & Gun had an July 16th Street Date, which meant it technically became legal on Friday August 15th, so we allowed that to be bumped one day.  Stolen Souls had a July 30th Street Date, so we allowed that to be pushed by two weeks.  Thie reasons were thus:

1)  They had been available at a major convention (Origins) previously).
2)  THey would be on shelves for two full weeks prior to Gen Con.
3) They would be available on the show floor at Gen Con.
4)  Gen Con is by far the largest gaming venue we do, so we sometimes make a few exceptions for it.  With over 150 Shadowrun games and a massive 1,300 players this year (Holy shit those numbers stagger my mind), there's a good reason for that.
5) Stolen Souls was the real exception, and ultimately it doesn't have enough rules in it to really cause any problems.  It's got a handful of spells and gear, but not a lot of either since it's mostly plot.

We still don't have any kind of street date for Street Grimoire (though I can't imagine it'll be much longer before one is announced).

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #19 on: <09-30-14/1022:23> »
When will Shadow Spels be legal for Missions?  I know about the 30-day rule, but don't know when the book was officially released.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <09-30-14/1027:28> »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!