NEWS

Questions for Updated FAQ - Including all sourcebooks - June Edition

• 26 Replies

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <06-30-14/1812:51> »
Question on addiction test and Increase/Boost powers for the attributes involved (Body, Willpower, Logic): If it is a non-permanent buff (e.g. sustained spell or Attribute Boost), can the increased stat be used for the addiction test?  If it is a quickened Increase Attribute spell could the increased stat be used?
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <07-02-14/1311:35> »
Hey Bull, now that Street Magic Grimoire (wow, that's going to take some getting used to...) has been released and will (eventually) see a street day, should we expect to see the Mission specific rules for background count replaced with the Street Grimoire rules (at some point)?
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <07-19-14/1800:37> »
The book says this about trying to damage barriers:
Since barriers can’t dodge, the attack test is unopposed.
Since Direct combat spells aren't dodged but resisted, do barriers roll Structure to resist Direct combat spells, or are Direct combat spells (the Shatter/Powerbolt/Powerball family, to be exact) of such a nature that barriers don't resist them, meaning every hit on the Spellcasting check is a net hit?

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #18 on: <07-27-14/2320:00> »
Just a note, I'll be working on this this week.  Any appropriate FAQ questions need to be in by Midnight EST, Wednesday, July 30.  I will hopefully have those together and posted the following week.

martinchaen

« Reply #19 on: <07-28-14/0928:46> »
Rigger-related questions:
  • Drones/vehicles and recoil
How does Progressive Recoil affect drones/vehicles since all Gunnery actions are Complex Actions?
  • Drones and smartgun systems
How do drones/vehicles equipped with both smartlinks and weapon(s) with smartgun systems interact with these systems, if at all? In other words, can Pilot programs gain the benefit of a smartlink (as part of a sensor array) if using a weapon equipped with a smartgun systems?
Furthermore, the same question but for jumped-in riggers with an implanted smartlink?
  • Drones and repair costs
How will repair costs work in missions?
A single missions run doesn't pay nearly enough for the entire concept of drones and vehicles to be viable if the R&G "10% per condition monitor box" rule is used as is. If you only include answers to one of my questions on drones/vehicles, please let it be this one :)
  • Drones and sneaking
How does spotting a small drone/vehicle using the Stealth autosoft work?
It would seem that a microdrone is better off just being itself (Threshold 4 Success Test for micro-sized object) as opposed to rolling Sneaking (opposed test using Pilot + Infiltration for a maximum of 9 dice, averaging just 2 hits). Should the size of an object apply some sort of perception modifier, and if so, what are they?
  • Jumped-in riggers and attributes
How does attributes for jumped-in riggers really work?
The updated version of the SR5 core book has replaced Agility for Gunnery with Logic, but Reaction is still used for Piloting while jumped in, and for some reason it seems Intuition is used for Sneaking instead of Agility. Does a jumped-in rigger still use Reaction + Intuition to defend, and does this count as a vehicle test for the purposes of RCCs and VCRs?
  • Rigger Command Consoles and Matrix/Vehicle tests
How does the +1 dice pool bonus from an RCC interact with the +2 bonus from Hot-Sim for the purposes of matrix and vehicle tests?
  • Weapon mounts and reloading
How does one reload a firearm that has been installed in a weapon mount?
The book doesn't mention anything about the weapons being converted to a belt feed mechanism, so while the standard and heavy mounts are stated to be able to hold up to 250 and 500 rounds of ammunition, respectively, there's no real mention of how the process of reloading would work.
  • Weapon mounts and weapon sizes
How does one classify what is an "assault rifle or smaller sized weapon"?
The book doesn't make much mention of how one determines relative size of any of the fictional shotguns, sniper rifles, and/or exotic ranged weapons (such as the pain inducer) compared to the various assault rifles; it would be nice if this could be clarified (perhaps by stating weapon categories that are disallowed instead of using an arbitrary size category)

Misc:
  • Called Shot: Bulls-Eye Double-Tap/Burst
How is the "base" AP value of a weapon calculated when using APDS rounds?
Example: Using this called shot with an Ares Alpha results in two possible AP calculations:
1. Ares Alpha has a base AP of -2, multiplied by up to x3 for a total of -6, plus the -4 for APDS, for a total of -10
2. Ares Alpha has a base AP of (-2 + -4 = -6), multiplied by up to x3 for a total of -18 (I'm fervently hoping this is not the case...)
  • Cyberlegs and hydraulic jacks
How many dice do hydraulic jacks add to relevant tests?
The book states +1 total if wireless, as opposed to +1 per rating. Is this as intended?
  • Cyberlimbs and limits
How do cyberlimbs affect inherent limits, if at all?
  • Cyberlimbs and movement rate
How do cyberlimbs affect movement rate, if at all?
  • Fresnel Fabric
How does the requirement that Fresnel Fabric must be aligned to the signal source work?
  • Movement and Interception
Does the simple action "Stand Up" count as "movement" for the purposes of Interception attacks?
  • Penetrating Weapons and Barriers
How does penetrating weapons interact with barriers?
In other words, do they bypass the Shooting Through Barriers rules on page 197? The example on page 198 seems to indicate that they do, in which case the Shooting Through Barriers section seem strangely superfluous.
  • Toxins
How does toxins with multiple vectors affect a character with immunity or protection against one vector work?
Example: A PC who is wearing a gas mask (immunity to inhalation vector) is hit by CS Gas, which has both contact and inhalation vectors.

That's it for me, at least for now. I'll go through our houserule doc and see if there are any questions with outstanding official answers.
« Last Edit: <07-28-14/0933:24> by martinchaen »

Valkyrie

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <07-28-14/1126:20> »
Are the various qualities in the Assassin's Primer considered codes of honor and thus banned, or are they allowed?

What is the Mission's procedure for Initiatory Ordeals from Street Grimoire?

Do Adept Ways really cost 40 karma after chargen?

What can machine sprites help with?  What can they not help with?

Is there any Missions-specific consequence for high notoriety or public awareness?  In the 5th ed core book it just seems to be up to the GM.

I'm just going to second the question on Technomancer submersion - is it supposed to be 30 karma for the first grade, 60 for the 2nd, etc?

Southpaw

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <07-28-14/1212:01> »
How do drones defend in combat? It mentioned somewhere that an autosoft was used for defending against physical attacks (read: not  necessarily evading sensor lock-ons), but it never specified which one.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #22 on: <07-28-14/1733:53> »
Is there any way to reduce Public Awareness in Missions (which almost seems to give it out automatically)?  Perhaps by getting a new identity/SIN or by spending a week (or a few weeks) of downtime specifically to lay low and get out of the spotlight (and do nothing else)?

It's mostly an issue of getting the same rep the table got if you got GM credit for the mission (I have GM credit for around half of my mission logs because I GM more than I play), but there's also the issue of getting the same rep the rest of the table gets when I play, even though my character runs around in stealth and a Chameleon Suit 90% of the time.
« Last Edit: <07-28-14/1918:03> by Dr. Meatgrinder »
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <07-28-14/1809:59> »
Is there any way to reduce Public Awareness in Missions (which almost seems to give it out automatically)?
Are we talking about the same Missions? In the ones we've run, you'd have to mess up in order to gain any Public Awareness, since it's no longer linked to your Street Cred and Notoriety.

Question: do Magic and Adept powers ignore the Augmented Maximum rules unless a spell/power explicitly mentions it's restricted by the Augmented Maximum rules?
« Last Edit: <07-29-14/0845:17> by ZeConster »

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #24 on: <08-05-14/1248:45> »
I realize I'm too late but I just saw this thought I'd chime in for next time at least.
Lot of questions I had are already in here.
Lets see what else.

1.  Is there any chance the limitation of on Code of Honor will be lifted from Missions if you are taking the examples?
My group has a couple people that were using it till pointed out they couldn't have it & feel not killing innocents is pretty easy to come into play, forcing them to use Gel rounds for example on their first strike.  Etc etc.

2.  If you have Natural Immunity to a certain manufactured Toxin, and its an addictive quality.  If you only use said toxin for your "Free" 1x dose.  Does it except you from Addiction tests as part of the "Negative Effects" or just the listed negative penalties of said toxin.

3.  Do you HAVE to use new spin off rule books?  For example if newer rules come into play, say R&G or Grimoire, must you use them or is it okay to stick with the Core Book only.

4.  Does Magic & Cyber stack to higher levels that are still below augmented Max?  Example.  Cyber/Bio Muscle Augmentations at Level 1-3 with Adept Increased Attribute at Level 1-3 stack up to potential Level 4.  Or is it whichever is higher?   I know some specifically say does not work with others but not all say that, that I'm aware of.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <08-05-14/1759:28> »
  • Does learning a new rank of a Skill Group take 1 month * New Rating or 2 Weeks * New Rating? The core rule book lists 2 different time frames.  (If it is a month, it will take forever to increase no skill groups, and very few people will ever do it. I have a character that it would hurt pretty bad, as well.)

This is actually Stealth Errata'd, apparently, as my newer PDF says x2 weeks in all locations, but this not included in the official Errata.  I'll include it for now since players relying only on the print book will not be aware of this.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <08-05-14/1801:05> »
Also, new rule for next time we do this:  Page References will be required, because goddamn trying to track down "it says different things in two different places" is a nightmare, especially when the newer PDF stealth fixed the problem.  So I just spent 20 minutes searching for a problem that didn't exist in my copy of the book! :)