NEWS

Move by Wire for 5th

• 6 Replies

PJ

• Chummer
« on: <06-08-14/1909:39> »
Has anyone house-ruled this (until the official rules come out)?  With all the new mechanics, I'd like to see a return to the old system from 3rd edition (not as big a fan of the package deal it turned into in 4th).  But not sure how it would work for the new edition.  Maybe something like:

Each level adds 1 to Agility, 1 to Reaction, 1d6 to Initiative, and increases your Physical limit for all defense tests and tests related to movement.

Essence: 2.5/ 4.0/ 5.5/ 7.0
Nuyen:  Haven't figured that, but would figure it need be up there.

Wireless Bonus: not a good idea, as the system puts you in a constant state of seizure that is only regulated if on.

Thoughts?

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-09-14/1552:16> »
Loved move-by-wire myself :)
Hhm some things to consider.
1. you can actually be faster with a wired reflexes/reaction enhancer combo, maybe make the attribute bonus to 2REA instead of 1 AGI 1 REA? with a higher augmentation cap than 4
2. Defense and full defense has no [limits] but parry, block and dodge do, have you taken that into account?
3. are movement skills Athletics skillgroup and sneaking?
4. cost should be something around wired reflexes+muscletoner/reaction enhancers + some percentages more I guess
5. What do you mean by wireless bonus? is it only on when wireless is set to on? or has it noi mechanical wireless on benefit?
6. it also needs a tough availability, likely only lvl 1 should be available during char gen.

Other ideas
Whenever the character takes a fulldefense/parry/block/dodge action he adds his MBW lvl as bonus dice to his roll
Adds level to surprise tests, glitches means he does something aggresive and potentially stupid

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <06-09-14/2027:05> »
7 Essence ?

Does that mean its only going to be possible with Custom-ware options ?    Or Cybermancy-Zombies?

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-09-14/2042:29> »
7 Essence ?

Does that mean its only going to be possible with Custom-ware options ?    Or Cybermancy-Zombies?
That's the implication. Improved grades or you're a zombie.

4. cost should be something around wired reflexes+muscletoner/reaction enhancers + some percentages more I guess
I dunno. As presented it's still worse than WR + Reaction Enhancers + Muscle Toner. More expensive + more Essence cost = why bother buying it. I liked the integrated skillwires from 4th though.
Playability > verisimilitude.

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-09-14/2200:09> »
Move by wire was also compatible with Reaction Enhancers in 4th which Wired Reflexes wasn't.... I don't understand the essence cost increase. They cost the same before, in essence at least the difference was in the nuyen cost.

PJ

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <06-10-14/1939:14> »
Thanks all for replies, I tried to work out a rough draft below, but let me see if I can answer questions:

The 3rd edition had these prohibitive Essence costs, TLE/x, and possible Attribute damage.  The trade off was it increased your Quickness, Athletics, Stealth by rating; at level 3 and 4 gave you some bonus (action?) for dodging, and was like Wired Reflexes, but went to +8/+4d6.  I was feeling a bit nostalgic for the old one, and sort of accepted the 4th edition version (IMO is better as a cybersuite of Wired Reflexes+Reaction Enhancers+Skillwires).

Everything changed with 4th (and now 5th) game mechanics, so I was trying to figure how that would change the (original) Move-by-Wire to 5th.

I decided to go with an increased Physical Limit because you can make the argument that ALL movement your body makes is now aided by the system. And, for someone with low physical attributes but high skills, it allows them to take advantage of those skills. I also dropped the wireless thing because I realized if it gets bricked, the whole thing shuts down, including you're being put in constant seizure (I was thinking going wireless could be fatal by being put in a constant seizure, but figure the whole thing is a package deal).

Move-by-Wire

Rating   Avail   Essence   Nuyen
1          12R           2.5            58,000 - 69,000
2          18R           4.0         178,000 - 201,000
3          24F           5.5          264,000 - 298,000
4          30F           7.0          348,000 - 393,000

Each rating adds 1 to Agility, 1 to Reaction, 1d6 to Initiative, and 1 to Physical Limit.

Wireless: double the Reaction bonus, and it may exceed 4.

In the spirit of 5th edition (the price you're willing to pay), and homage to the old, TLE/x. Without a regular supply of the therapy drugs (covered automatically in High or better Lifestyle), you have to make a check for TLE/x at an interval determined by the rating:

1   12 months
2   6 months
3   3 months
4   1 month

Thoughts?

PJ

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <06-10-14/1945:52> »
By way of comparison, Reaction Enhancers 3, Wired Reflexes 3, Muscle Toner 4 is a base cost of 384,000 and 6.7 Essence.