NEWS

Minmaxed Elf Mage Face

• 124 Replies

Killstring

• Newb
« Reply #120 on: <07-24-14/1914:46> »
So, I figured I'd take a crack at this concept - just as a thought experiment.

Attached, you will find Buddy the Elf. Inspired by stories of Bill Clinton earlier in the post, I decided to make Buddy a Seducer Shaman. I tried to hew as close to the original concept as often as I could - mystic adept, focus on summoning, etc. This guy can be your face, and you'll be glad he came. He'll be happy to be there too, because WOW does he need cash.

The TL:DR summary: CHA 9, Agility & Reaction 6, no other stat below 3, rolls 25 dice on a Con (seduction) check, has a crappy Fake SIN and hole-in the wall apartment, but owns a Vashon Island Ace of Cups outfit.

Anyway, this was fun. I wouldn't want to play this character, but I think the original concept survives - as does the character!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #121 on: <07-24-14/1922:39> »
So, I figured I'd take a crack at this concept - just as a thought experiment.

Attached, you will find Buddy the Elf. Inspired by stories of Bill Clinton earlier in the post, I decided to make Buddy a Seducer Shaman. I tried to hew as close to the original concept as often as I could - mystic adept, focus on summoning, etc. This guy can be your face, and you'll be glad he came. He'll be happy to be there too, because WOW does he need cash.

The TL:DR summary: CHA 9, Agility & Reaction 6, no other stat below 3, rolls 25 dice on a Con (seduction) check, has a crappy Fake SIN and hole-in the wall apartment, but owns a Vashon Island Ace of Cups outfit.

Anyway, this was fun. I wouldn't want to play this character, but I think the original concept survives - as does the character!

That pretty awesome and pretty funny. I like it.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #122 on: <07-27-14/1807:28> »
omfg i just discovered this thread and read the entire thing front to back.

after careful consideration I disagree with most of the people posting here.

This character is a perfect reflection of it's creator!
Think about it, the OP has no clue about Shadowrun's game mechanics and flat-out ignores input he does not like (maintaining a spell while sleeping/ unconscious? HAHAHA you funny man!).

I suspect if he played his character the way he acts in real life it would be a match made in heaven!

Example: at the meet:

Johnson: "we can only pay you 10 nuyen for this exceedingly dangerous run"
Elf: "We need more than that" <rolls negotiation, gets some hits>
Johnson: "ok we can pay you 30 nuyen"
Elf: "great! that's what..uh. like a LOT more than you said before, Right?"
Johnson: "Yeah you're a hard bargainer, that's 300% more!" <it's actually only 200% more>
Elf: "300 cents?! I Thought you said 30 nuyen! You trying to jack me?"
Johnson: "Oh no, I would never do that to someone so sharp witted as yourself. Tell you what, you've got such nice hair here's another 10 nuyen if you sleep with me".
Elf: "Wait a minute...I can't go unconscious or my spell will stop working."
Johnson: "You're not going to go unconscious, your going to SLEEP with me".
Elf: "Oh yeah, sleep is not the same as going unconscious, ok! Do I get blue pajamas?"
Johnson: "Sure buddy, you get any color you want".
Elf: "Any color!? Wow I am a great negotiatory person!"

ikarinokami

• Chummer
« Reply #123 on: <07-27-14/2049:38> »
This is not a munckin build, people need to stop saying that. A requirement for any munckin build is that its too effective or even overpowered. The build here is silly, the character cannot function as a shadow runner. personally I think it's a good lesson for people who believe that being a munckin or power gamer is more that just numbers, that to be an effective power gamer, you actually have to play the game.

and lastly this is not a min max character, because again the character has no maximum use, there is nothing that this character is good at. the four 1;s are beside the points, if the character had the four ones and could kick ass in some field, I could at least appreciate the construction of it.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #124 on: <07-27-14/2207:22> »
It is certainly not a munchkin character.  Munchkins are players who exploit rules loopholes or even outright cheat to have an overpowered character who can "win" the game at the expense of game balance and everyone else's enjoyment.  From the initial post:

Keep an eye out for the other characters, and make sure you are never better than them in their selected role.  A good way to do this is to be a better utility guy (use your Face skills to get them the best gear, buff them, etc).

So no.  Someone who wants to be a utility/support character, who wants to use his face abilities to get better/cheaper gear for the group (rather than using the social skill rules to get everyone to do what he says), is not a munchkin.

Min-maxing wise, it does give a lot of Karma efficiency.  Unfortunately, it does this at the expense of playability.