NEWS

[4E] Read through everything can't find the answer- Slap Patch Question

• 8 Replies

daGob

• Newb
« on: <05-02-14/1740:44> »
So I have a question about slap patches. Here's what the corebook has to say about them

SLAP PATCHES
Slap patches are adhesive DMSO-based drug dispensers that allow continual, safe adminis- tration of necessary chemicals. They are applied directly to the patient’s skin. Applying a slap patch to an unwilling patient requires a successful melee attack (touch only).
Antidote Patch: Add the rating of an antidote patch to any toxin resistance tests (p. 254) made within 20 minutes after it has been applied (this only applies for toxin the antidote protects against).
Stimulant Patch: This patch allows a user to ignore the injury modifiers of Stun damage; treat it as High Pain Tolerance (p. 91) equal to patch’s rating. This effect lasts for rating x 10 minutes—after that period of time, she receives one additional point of Stun damage. While a stimulant patch is in effect, the character is unable to rest.
Tranq Patch: This patch inflicts Stun damage equal to its rating.
Trauma Patch: If placed on a dying patient, it allows her to make a stabilization test (Physical Damage Overflow, p. 253) using her Body instead of First Aid/Medicine

So I have a character who wants to use slap patches to apply toxins. My question is would I be paying the cost for an Antidote Patch (rating * 50nuyen) or a Stimulant Patch (rating * 25nuyen)  when buying the patch?? Also do I have to specify which chemical the patch is when I buy it?

Aaaand I know these are a lot of silly questions but if I'm trying to apply a slap patch in combat is that using the unarmed combat skill?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <05-02-14/1744:07> »
Check the chemistry rules that I converted from 4th edition.  They answer your question.  You'll find them in my signature on this post.  Short answer is that you can buy a blank DMSO slap patch for cheap.  Buying the poison might be a different story.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #2 on: <05-02-14/1746:58> »
Is this question 4E or 5E? The wording doesn't match the book, but most of the patches do. If 5E, just have them pay for a chem patch (the option you didn't post) and a single dose of the toxin. If 4E, I guess you reference those chemistry rules Namikaze brought up?
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Achsin

« Reply #3 on: <05-02-14/1905:43> »
For 4th edition the gear entry is in Arsenal p.80, for 5th edition it's in the core book on p.451.

You buy the patch (Slap patch and Chem patch respectively) and then buy the drug/toxin to add to it.

daGob

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-02-14/2013:47> »
Looking at SR4E sorry should have clarified. And I have read Arsenal pg80 but the 4 different slap patches have different avaliability & costs so I didn't want to just buy the cheapest one and be like "this works with drugs" because it's the cheapest so was trying to see is any specific type of slap patch in particular is the one you use with toxins. I'm leaning towards antidote since that seems the one that is open to multiple materials.

Achsin

« Reply #5 on: <05-02-14/2126:43> »
The 4 different slap patches in the core book all have their own purpose though, the antidote is to help resist toxins, the stimulant to ignore stun, the tanq patch to cause stun and the trauma patch to stabilize someone who is dying. The 5th Slap patch that's described in Arsenal on p.80 is the one you are looking for.

daGob

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <05-02-14/2149:39> »
Okay the slap patch on pg80 arsenal does not have a price though. I have attached the slap patch purchasing table from the back of Arsenal. As you can see there is not a 5th slap path option listed just the same basic 4 as before. Additionally this is the description of the toxic slap path from arsenal - they are simply modified normal slap patches no their own special type.

Slap Patches: These coin-sized disks are backed with nanopore adhesive and DMSO. When peeled off and applied to the skin, the disk’s chemicals immediately enter the subject’s system. Any drug, compound, or toxin can be mixed into a slap patch, changing the drug or toxin’s vector to Contact (see p. 244, SR4). Compounds delivered in this way are treated as toxins (see below).

Achsin

« Reply #7 on: <05-02-14/2206:49> »
The table you're looking for is the "Chemtech" table located at the bottom right of Arsenal p.80, it's the 3rd/last entry, or p.188 about in the middle of the page.

daGob

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <05-02-14/2335:06> »
God I must be blind I've read that page at least five times and I totally missed it. Thanks so much - really appreciate it. That is going to save me a lot of nuyen.