NEWS

Gangs: Populating the Slums

• 15 Replies

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« on: <04-23-14/0133:19> »
Okay, I've been building up the stable of threats within the sprawl (the Twin Cities in Minnesota, if you must know.)
Among those threats is a series of gangs I've built. I'm just checking to see if anyone thinks I've missed anything.

Hexers: Street Gang; wizgang that controls a few blocks. Claim to worship the Adversary but have no idea what they're doing. About 20.

Tusks: Street Gang; Local affiliate of the Crimson Crush. Control a pretty big section of the slums. Decent at keeping things orderly for Orcs and Trolls, but don't like dwarves, humans, or elves. Especially elves due to a rivalry with the local Ancients gang. Sometimes subcontracted by the local Mafia family. Nearly 200.

Waterway Gang: Street Gang; human gang with ties to the local Triads. Control all river access in the lower-class areas of the sprawl. Expansionist and a touch racist. Around 500.

Ancients: Local version, not a go-gang but a street gang. Not many elves, so practically serve as security for the "Elf Slums." Not very hospitable to outsiders, but will back off if pay 'transit tax.' Maybe 60.

Dirt Devils: Dwarf Go-Gang; patrol the outskirts of the sprawl, killing isolated travelers. Somehow stay ahead of the police and out of prison. Traffic drugs to make cash. 150 exactly, in 5 to 10 ganger groups.

Halloweeners: Exactly what they usually are, except for occasionally acting as muscle for the local Yakuza. Around 100.

Cutters: Again, a go-gang similar to their usual pattern. Low-level smuggling, protection, and arms dealing. Local leader is an idiot. About 70.

Bewilderbeast

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-23-14/0207:58> »
Especially like the idea of a dwarven go-gang, but I'm on a bit of a dwarf kick lately...

Seems to me you're missing a Matrix gang, "deck-gangers" or what-have-you. One I've used in my games are the Red Wormz; deckers and BTL dealers that are oddly predominantly ork and troll. They bristle at stereotypes of their metatypes being stupid, slow, or bad in the 'Trix.

I also think a gang modeled off on Anonymous could be useful. Anonymous but darker and edgier, with no real meatspace power but the ability to just completely gang up on and overwhelm somebody in the Matrix. In a world of dumpshock, biofeedback, black IC, and BTLs, they could be quite scary and very real threat.
"Dialogue"
<<Matrix/Comm>>
"Astral"
Thoughts

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #2 on: <04-23-14/0305:04> »
Hm. Yeah, suppose I did miss that one.

So, how did you build those? I mean, cyberdecks are really, really expensive in the 5E core rulebook. I have a hard time justifying an actual street gang with that kind of scratch...

The chaotic only-completely-evil Anonymous has some potential in that department, justifiably even. Though cyberdecks are still absurdly expensive and restricted.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #3 on: <04-23-14/0318:06> »
Hm. Yeah, suppose I did miss that one.

So, how did you build those? I mean, cyberdecks are really, really expensive in the 5E core rulebook. I have a hard time justifying an actual street gang with that kind of scratch...

The chaotic only-completely-evil Anonymous has some potential in that department, justifiably even. Though cyberdecks are still absurdly expensive and restricted.

They could be a technomancer-friendly gang, perhaps?  I know that's a small percentage of the population, but there are wiz-gangs so ...sure?

Alternatively, you could have a portion of the background for the gang involve a major heist on a Fuchi convoy or something.  They'd all have the same model deck, which would make bookkeeping a bit easier too.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #4 on: <04-23-14/0322:26> »

They could be a technomancer-friendly gang, perhaps?  I know that's a small percentage of the population, but there are wiz-gangs so ...sure?

Alternatively, you could have a portion of the background for the gang involve a major heist on a Fuchi convoy or something.  They'd all have the same model deck, which would make bookkeeping a bit easier too.

Oooh. That's good. That's really good. I like that. Thanks.

Now I need a name for the gang...

Bewilderbeast

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-23-14/0335:20> »
A mix of technomancers, rich kids slumming it, and guys with actual technical skill can flesh out a Matrix gang. Nothing says a cyberdeck has to be bought off the shelf... you could conceivably daisy-chain a bunch of a commlinks together, cannibalize the hardware, and write some unique code for it. The end result would probably still cost you at least 50,000 nuyen (roughly the cost of the cheapest cyberdeck) but at least gives you a plausible reason for why a SINless Barrens rat might have one.

Also keep in mind that not everybody in the gang needs to be a decker. Just that it has to be their main focus and "shtick." They'll probably want some good ol' muscle, too. You need somebody to watch your meat while you're in hot sim, after all.

As for names, you can go any way you'd like with it. A lot of real-life gangs just name themselves after the neighborhood, street or intersection they initially started "protecting." That doesn't quite seem to fit for a Matrix gang, though, who doesn't have a set physical location. Some ideas:

Anonymous: I mean, just call it what it is. 4chan, but dystopian! More dystopian, at least. Ahem.

The Legion: "Our name is Legion, for we are many." The idea here is a bunch of kids using cheap-o cyberdecks to launch the equivalent of DDOS attacks on their digital enemies. Strength in numbers. The Matrix gang is not limited by locality.

Scarabs: BTLs are sometimes called "beetles." Matrix gangers protecting a Host that sells BTL downloads seems like a natural connection to me.

The Glitches: Why not go a little meta?

<something>.com: Keep in mind that a Matrix gang does not have to be tied to physical location. They could be an online community that, for whatever reason, exerts undue influence on the Twin Cities. Consider what might unite people online. Passion for a cause, like eco-terrorism or neo-anarchy? Just sort of a weird hive-mind like our modern-day Anonymous? Maybe give them a Humanis Policlub bent and have them vent their racial frustrations from behind the smokescreen of the 'Trix?
« Last Edit: <04-23-14/0339:21> by Bewilderbeast »
"Dialogue"
<<Matrix/Comm>>
"Astral"
Thoughts

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #6 on: <04-23-14/0350:58> »
they could all pool their money and share a deck or two.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #7 on: <04-23-14/0353:18> »
Also keep in mind that not everybody in the gang needs to be a decker. Just that it has to be their main focus and "shtick." They'll probably want some good ol' muscle, too. You need somebody to watch your meat while you're in hot sim, after all.

Noted.

Anonymous: I mean, just call it what it is. 4chan, but dystopian! More dystopian, at least. Ahem.

A little on the nose for my blood, really.

The Legion: "Our name is Legion, for we are many." The idea here is a bunch of kids using cheap-o cyberdecks to launch the equivalent of DDOS attacks on their digital enemies. Strength in numbers. The Matrix gang is not limited by locality.

I like it, though I prefer they be local in case one of my PCs want to track down and murder one that annoys them sufficiently.

Scarabs: BTLs are sometimes called "beetles." Matrix gangers protecting a Host that sells BTL downloads seems like a natural connection to me.

Already have dealers covered. It's the territory of the Yakuza (and thus the Halloweeners.) Also, a few independants.

The Glitches: Why not go a little meta?

Meta how? I don't get it. Nice name, though. EDIT: Oh. Nevermind. I got it.

<something>.com: Keep in mind that a Matrix gang does not have to be tied to physical location. They could be an online community that, for whatever reason, exerts undue influence on the Twin Cities. Consider what might unite people online. Passion for a cause, like eco-terrorism or neo-anarchy? Just sort of a weird hive-mind like our modern-day Anonymous? Maybe give them a Humanis Policlub bent and have them vent their racial frustrations from behind the smokescreen of the 'Trix?

Humanis is already a significant organization (the TC Sprawl is over 85% human.) And the Waterway Gang is affiliated, so...
As to other groups...well maybe.
« Last Edit: <04-24-14/2008:33> by Lethal Joke »

HarshRhettoric

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <04-23-14/0927:49> »
One of my favorite things about Shadowrun's 80's vibe was poser gangs.  A few stand out for me.

the Eastwoods: all wear ponchos and carry revolvers.  Like the country posers you went to your suburban high school with.  Arch-rivals of the Dukes

The Dukes: same as the Eastwoods, but notably racist.  Might both have started as the Eastwoods.

Also, go watch the Warriors.  Just do it.  There is more Shadowrun gang material in there than you could shake a stick at.
Have you ever had a dream where you were standing on a pyramid in sort-of sun god robes with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing pickles at you?

Why am I the only one that has that dream?

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #9 on: <04-23-14/1235:51> »
You can also do custom gangs that are based entirely on a theme and are otherwise ignored by most gangs. Like my custom gang, American Presidents: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=16094.0
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Naptown Wendigo

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <04-24-14/1330:38> »
Don't forget to make some notes on rivalries. If some of your gangs are based on metatypes and have racist tendencies then there will be rumbles. Keep track of how old and intense the rivalries are too. Is it limited to flexing and showing off weapons when the two meet or is there a full blown gang war going on?

One of the gang themes I've always liked is a corp-kiddie go-gang. A bunch of stuck up punk kids with the best toys their parents money can buy backed up by their parent's lawyers to get them out of trouble and thus completely lacking common sense and fear. Maybe even the other gangs shy away from screwing with them knowing that messing with the brats means bringing the full attention of Lone Star or Knight Errant down on their heads.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #11 on: <04-24-14/1353:18> »
Don't forget to make some notes on rivalries. If some of your gangs are based on metatypes and have racist tendencies then there will be rumbles. Keep track of how old and intense the rivalries are too. Is it limited to flexing and showing off weapons when the two meet or is there a full blown gang war going on?

One of the gang themes I've always liked is a corp-kiddie go-gang. A bunch of stuck up punk kids with the best toys their parents money can buy backed up by their parent's lawyers to get them out of trouble and thus completely lacking common sense and fear. Maybe even the other gangs shy away from screwing with them knowing that messing with the brats means bringing the full attention of Lone Star or Knight Errant down on their heads.

I like this idea.  It doesn't even have to be a gang in the traditional sense.  Think of the elitism and snobbery of a country club combined with the angst and frustration of a teenager.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Tenlaar

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <04-24-14/1355:47> »
I really like that idea as well.  You have a lot of options to play around with using their connection to the "upper crust."  Going both ways, as well - the gangers using their connections to get to the runners and the runners using the gangers to get to their connections.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/comm
Astral

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #13 on: <04-24-14/1625:02> »

Way ahead of you.

Hexers are too small a gang to be of much interest and live in an abandoned area - self destructive anyway, with a few summoners who tend to get a bit in over their heads. Their only "allies" are the Dirt Devils, who sometimes smuggle them reagents, making them likely to flame Cutters on-sight to try and earn brownie points.

Tusks don't like the Ancients at all and are willing to got to town on them if given any provocation. They also don't like the Dirt Devils, but they don't have much interaction with them, so it's more a grudge.

Waterway Gang is, well...nobody likes them and they return the favor. They have ties to Humanis and the notably-racist local Triad. For the metatype-based and inclusive gangs they're practically at war with everybody. Only their size and the rivalries among their competition are allowing them their levels of success.

Ancients are too small a gang to start anything. That said, they dislike the Tusks and the Halloweeners (due to a tendency of the latter to do their stupid stunts on their population.)

Dirt Devils are actively warring with the Cutters over who rules the roads of the TC Sprawl. They're friendly with the Hexers and feel no real sense of rivalry with any other gang.

Halloweeners aren't terribly well liked by the street gangs due to their tendency to pull their ghoul-mockery stunts wherever they feel like. The Cutters have a cease-fire with them, and the Dirt Devils don't give a crap about them.

Cutters are actively warring with the Dirt Devils (and are losing slowly, their leader is an idiot) but have no issues with other gangs due to their largely businesslike nature. Hexers also try to kill them actively, but the go-gang doesn't really go anywhere near their abandoned are anyway.

Okay, I built two new gangs. It's the end of my sprawl gangs:

Gridlocks are the Matrix gang I missed. They're largely poor punks looking to feel powerful, headed by a couple of low-end technomancers. They aren't a physical presence in the sprawl, but on the public grid they could gang up on lone VR personas, pounding on them with use of their Lockdown programs to hold their target. They have the cheapest cyberdecks on the market, some stolen and some traded for assorted stuff. Roughly 40 deckers, exactly 5 technomancers.

Jotuns are an all-Troll gang who dress in blue and white, and carry sledgehammers painted with the same color scheme. They control the area surrounding the popular Jotunheim club, collecting protection money. They are possibly the only gang nobody has a problem with (the Waterways Gang leaves them alone out of fear.) Their membership is thus pretty jovial and friendly. Leader is "Mimir." About 60.
« Last Edit: <04-24-14/2032:21> by Lethal Joke »

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <04-24-14/1715:05> »

I like it, though I prefer they be local in case one of my PCs want to track down and murder one that annoys them sufficiently.

Good thread - and cool gangs!

One way to go with the Legion idea would be to have local, national, global presence. That way you could track down the local chapter that is messing with you (or you with them) and that eventually could lead to another chapter giving a hand and so on. Basically a scalable threat...