NEWS

[SR4] Extended material advice for a face

• 4 Replies

daGob

• Newb
« on: <04-23-14/0040:33> »
Hey so I'm looking to create a face character for SR4.  I've looked through the archetypes thread and found some good things there but ultimately I'm the sort of person who likes to try to read through as much of the information as possible for myself. However there's a lot of information and extra books & etc. etc. out there and its overwhelming.  Which ones would people recommended I give a read through if trying to create a face.

Game it is for is high tech low magic so this will be a nonawakened face using tech to get any enhancements

Also I will get through all the extra material eventually but tackling all of it before my deadline to create this character just isn't feasible.

Any other random advice about creating a face is also welcome.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1 on: <04-23-14/0355:16> »
bioware dude.
i wont spoil it too bad, but bioware.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #2 on: <04-23-14/1109:13> »
There's a Posi-Quality in Runners Companion called First Impression, it's a Faces' best friend. Of course, Tailored Pheromones is great, though many people over-value it I feel because you have to be able to "smell" the PC for it to work, which depending on GM discretion may be quite a bit more rare than you'd think. Disguise is great for a Face, and someone has to be able to understand you to be sweet-talked so don't neglect languages (or Lingua-softs). I've also found a good general Perception and Judge Intentions invaluable.

Regarding books, I've never read it but Attitude has a lot of fluff for Faces I believe, I think minimal crunch. Haven't spent much time with it, but Spy Games has some gear and fluffy goodness too I believe. Of course, familiarize yourself with the social modifiers in the core book.

Most importantly, perhaps, be mindful that the GM may lean more heavily on your RP than others, so be prepared to talk the talk!

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #3 on: <04-23-14/1631:15> »
take a look at the sensor software in arsenal and talk it through with your GM. In a high-tech setting then empathy software + lie detection software running on/via microcamera would be very damn handy.
just beware that it can be pretty contentious as to how it actually works and it is up to your GM to balance them in-game.
{some players see an exploit for a cheap +6 dicepool boost but it doesn't work by RAW and got this stuff a real bad name}
Just remember: No johnson wants a camera in his face during a meet when he's asking you to perform highly illegal acts for money, but using it on your low-level gang informant contact could be golden, especially if its dark and he'll struggle to see the microcamera (because its buried in your jacket button or briefcase or something).
there seems to be two main ways of using it:
1) run it on your commlink, system + response limit the rating you can run. you need an active connection from your commlink to a camera to use the software. Image link needed to show output.
2) unwired allows device specific software to run on peripheral nodes (camera is a peripheral node, and sensor software = software for sensors so works by RAW). Device rating of camera limits rating of software you can run (note: capacity rating is not the device rating; hence no super cheap R6 empathy software bonus, micro cameras are device rating 1 or 2 at max.). Image link needed to show output.

Either way, with the image link in your contacts giving you the readouts of the software, you can tell if someone is lying and it helps your negotiations with a dice pool bonus of up to 6 (with massive investment in an R6 commlink), or more realistically +1-2 dice on a standard link or direct on device. Don't even think about bringing a child's emotitoy to a real meet. Any decent GM will hit you with negative rep for the idiocy of it and you might find your employment options drying up pretty quickly.

as for non-tech stuff, invest in good contacts. knowing people who know people is the name of the game for a face, also where to wine and dine each specific class of person is a must. you want the drop on the latest happenings in the upper echelon of politics? better not take the contact to the Troll sports bar on 22nd ave! Likewise if you take a low-level beat cop to a 1000NY-per-meal restaurant in the corp downtown area, he's likely gonna feel ridiculously out of place and clam up, if he doesn't get kicked out for using the wrong cutlery for his éntree.
knowledge skills like fine dining and a high ranking in etiquette are a good idea if you're gonna be mixing it with the big boys. Etiquette is a face's sneak skill in that situation.
Have the right clothes for each occasion. Seriously, don't turn up to the cocktail party at the embassy in your sneakers and armour vest. It hurts you right in the dicepool and a properly RP'd game would likely mean you should be denied entry if you don't look the part for where you're meant to be, and depending on where you are; either the doormen kick the shit out of you or call the cops if you make a scene about it!
Another thing to think about is transport. If you don't wanna splurge your chargen cash on a really smart set of wheels, maybe take a limo driver as a contact and hire him for the night if you need to impress a "client".
obviously these are suggestions if you're planning on hitting the corp big leagues, but its transferable to street level games too. turn up to a meet in a dive bar in a tuxedo and the locals will have it off your back in a flash and leave your ferrari parked outside standing on bricks as a best case scenario.
think about weapons as well. you're wearing a tux, you're not gonna have your wild west re-enactment style revolver on you, bulging through your dinner jacket. you'll have an extremely stylish and limited edition holdout discreetly hidden in an internal concealable holster, so it doesn't ruing the cut of the expensive tailoring you're wearing. likewise you wont have a battered old metalink commlink with a cracked screen to make your business calls on. Looking the part is vital if you're playing a black-trenchcoat style game and should still be seriously considered for even the most pink mohawk of games.

Secondary skills like forgery and disguise are good picks for a face. pick-pocketing is great too as you'll be in close contact with people and can steal their ID/swipecards/RFID passes etc.
You can forge ID or dress like a janitor and you've got the fast talk skills to convince the night patrolman that you're legit.
I think more than any other role, how much use your face is outside of the initial meet + haggle with the johnson is directly proportionate to how much RP you put in. Be prepared to wine and dine your contacts in your own side show like when the decker does his thing. be prepared to sweet talk the disaffected daughter of the extraction target for vital info. Don't leave yourself defenceless though, you're likely to be exposed and vulnerable and working without close support from your big, ugly, cybered troll street sam. Either make sure you can high-tail it out of there if you get rumbled or you can last long enough till your pals can get in and pull your ass out of the fire.

As for attributes, charisma is the biggy here so an elf makes a good racial starting point, the extra AGI helps with combat, athletics, pickpocketing and lock breaking too.
there are some bioware and cosmetic surgery options that can really help out depending on your style of facing.
pheremones are a bit of a must, and the voice modulating stuff can be handy too.

I second emsquared's advice on languages. no good being a face if you can only understand french and you're in the middle of mexico!
« Last Edit: <04-23-14/1709:01> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Davidvs

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <04-24-14/0002:12> »
Past the standard stuff there are all kinds of other things you can help with: driving, medical, logistics. Several ID and lifestyles and the stuff to go with the lifestyles (though often I make this a goal after the game starts). Good Data Search, Computer, etc are helpful as well as all the other stuff everyone else listed.

I would work with your GM and group on what kind of Face you want to be then hit those skills more and others less.