NEWS

SR4 help on a concept

• 8 Replies

Breach

• Newb
« on: <04-16-14/1427:57> »
i am creating a troll shaman with a mentor spirit of bear.  i want to have spells of increase reflexes, shape shift, and maybe increase strength so that he can change into a bear what quality do the foci need to be on character creation?  this is in SR4
« Last Edit: <04-16-14/1453:59> by Breach »

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #1 on: <04-16-14/1544:08> »
I don't know what a bear's STR is (I don't have the proper book), but you may not want to waste your time with Increase Attribute (STR). With the (Bear) Form OR Shapechange spell, you already assume the physical attributes of the creature you're shifting into, plus you already add 1 to those attributes for each net hit on the cast attempt - so it's like a better version of the Increase Attribute spell because it affects many stats. Note though that your pre-shift BOD must be within 2 points of the creature/bear you want to shift into.

The other general focus' of your Troll Shaman (besides the obvious: your MAG attribute and Spellcasting, Counterspelling, and Summoning skills) should be:
Dealing with Drain - so you want a high WIL and CHA (your two Drain stats as a Shaman), making Trolls a (very) poor choice for Shaman but, well, what can you do...?
Power Focus Rating 2 (or 4 if you can swing it... you won't be able to swing it) - this boosts all your MAG tests, and don't forget to bind it!
Sustaining Focus (Health) Rating 3 - this is so you can sustain your Increase Reflexes spell with no penalty and get 3 IPs, again, bind it!

If you're using BP to make the PC, you still should not max out your WIL nor your CHA (nor your MAG) to start (if you're using Karma - max out both Drain stats). To help deal with the abysmal Drain Soak pool, you should select the SURGE 2 or 3 Positive Quality, so you can get Metagenetic Improvement (WIL). This might even be a case for taking Exceptional Attribute (WIL)... I'd have to play with the build though, as that is not usually a very recommendable Quality. Scratch that, you can't make the BP with Magician, Mentor Spirit and Meta-Improve.

That should get ya started, post the PC once you have a rough draft and we could go from there?
« Last Edit: <04-16-14/1559:00> by emsquared »

Breach

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-16-14/1647:52> »
what about a focus for the bear form spell what quality should it be?

Breach

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-16-14/1705:56> »
ok here it is, I know this is ruff but let me have it.

Street Name: Bear
Name: Unnamed Character
Movement: 15/35, Swim: 7
Street Cred: 0
Notoriety: 3
Public Awareness: 1
Troll
Composure: 6
Judge Intentions: 6
Lift/Carry: 13 (90 kg/60 kg)
Memory: 6
Nuyen: 0
== Attributes ==
BOD: 9
AGI: 3
REA: 3
STR: 6
CHA: 3
INT: 3
LOG: 3
WIL: 3
EDG: 2
MAG: 5
== Derived Attributes ==
Essence: 6
Initiative: 6
IP: 1
Astral Initiative: 6
Astral IP: 3
Matrix Initiative: 4
Matrix IP: 1
Physical Damage Track: 12
Stun Damage Track: 10

== Active Skills ==
Banishing : 1 Pool: 8
Binding : 1 Pool: 8
Counterspelling : 4 Pool: 9
Dodge : 1 Pool: 4
First Aid : 3 Pool: 6
Infiltration : 2 Pool: 5
Perception : 2 Pool: 5
Spellcasting : 4 Pool: 11
Summoning : 4 Pool: 11
Unarmed Combat : 2 Pool: 5
== Knowledge Skills ==
CQC : 3 Pool: 6
English : N Pool: 0
Japanese : 3 Pool: 6
Korean : 3 Pool: 6
Lone star : 3 Pool: 6
Magical Threats : 3 Pool: 6
Spirits : 3 Pool: 6

== Contacts ==
Blitz (2, 3)
Blogger (2, 2)
Talismonger (2, 3)

== Qualities ==
Amnesia (Past)
Bad Rep
Flashbacks (Common) (Last mission that went bad with lone star)
Magician
Mentor Spirit (Bear)
SINner (Standard) (Mathúin Blacach)
Thermographic Vision

== Spells ==
(Tradition: Shamanic, Resist Drain with WIL + CHA (6))
Unnamed Character Page 1 of 2
about:blank 4/16/2014
Combat Sense DV: (F÷2)+2
Critter Form [Critter] (Grizzly Bear) DV: (F÷2)+1
Heal DV: (Damage Value)-2
Increase Reflexes DV: (F÷2)+2
Mana Barrier DV: (F÷2)+1
Mana Static DV: (F÷2)+4
Stabilize DV: (Overflow damage)-2
Stunball DV: (F÷2)+1

== Lifestyles ==
Low 1 months

== Armor ==
Form-Fitting Full-Body Suit6/2
SecureTech Forearm Guards 0/1
SecureTech Shin Guards 0/1
SecureTech Vitals Protector1/1
== Weapons ==
Shock Glove
Pool: 5 DV: 5S(e) AP: -half RC: 0
Unarmed Attack
Pool: 5 DV: 3S AP: - RC: 0

== Martial Arts ==
Wildcat
Disarm
Vicious Blow

== Commlink ==

Meta Link (1, 1, 1, 2)
+Vector Xim
Sony Emperor (2, 4, 3, 3)
+Novatech Navi
+FTL Matrixware Net Wizard [Analyze 3, Browse 3, Command 1, Edit 2, Purge 3]

== Gear ==
Magical Lodge Materials Rating 4
Power Focus (Bonded Foci) Rating 2
Sustaining Focus (Health) (Bonded Foci) Rating 3
Sustaining Focus (Manipulation) (Bonded Foci) Rating 3 this i am not sure about this is for the bear form spell

bear form
==========
Grizzly Bear
B A R S C I L W EDG ESS Init IP
9 4 4 9 3 3 2 3 0 6 7 1
Frequency: Uncommon
Movement: 15/45
Skills: Climbing 2, Intimidation 2, Perception 3, Running 2,
Tracking 3, Unarmed Combat 3
Powers: Enhanced Senses (Smell), Natural Weapon (Claws/Bite:
DV 5P, AP 0)
« Last Edit: <04-16-14/1727:41> by Breach »

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #4 on: <04-16-14/2300:00> »
Attributes:
You only need a 7 BOD to change into a bear, so I would recommend putting your base BOD at 7. Put those 2 saved points into WIL. You need to get your WIL to 5, this is Drain (very important, since you're already handicapped w/ your CHA), Stun Soak (which you'll usually be doing because of your high BOD/Armor), and a lot of Spell Resistances. All very, very important for you.

Why STR of 6? It's not a damage step, so I'd recommend leaving it at 5 - you shouldn't be using your STR for anything unless you're in bear form anyway. Take that point and put it in REA (for your dodge and Initiative - both of which will be used when you're not in bear form).

If you can stand dropping you LOG to 2 from an RP perspective, I think it'd be best to do that. Put that saved point in REA (dodge, initiative), since you're trying to be a melee combatant, these are clutch for you.

Skills:
Drop Banishing, a simple Stun-bolt is probably going to be better at "dispelling" Spirits for you.

Not a big deal, but you could switch out Dodge for Gymnastics, since you have Unarmed Combat for full-parry in melee, you can Gymnastic Dodge ranged attacks and also use it for Gymnastic things (like jumps, etc.) - whereas Dodge just let's you dodge.

Don't waste your time with First Aid, you have a Heal spell and crappy LOG (and probably some others in your group with better LOG and First Aid).

You might consider picking up Assensing and a firearms skill with the points you're saving, for when you can't risk any more Drain (and it will happen with your sub-par Drain Soak and melee focus).

Contacts:
Your Contacts all strike me as kind of "meh", 2 Connections across the board means you don't really know anybody who's anybody. Maybe condense the 3 into just 2.

Qualities:
What's your Flashback trigger?

What did you take as your Advantage for Wildcat? I assume +1 DV to Unarmed? If not, change it to that. Disarm is optimally paired with "Two Weapon Style" because you can make Disarm (Full Defense) attempts and attack in the same round. You do not need Vicious Blow, a bear already does Physical Damage and you should not be engaging in melee unless you are in bear form.

Spells:
I would drop Stabilize for now, use Trauma Patches instead. In it's place, pick up a lower Drain, single target Damage spell (like Stunbolt, it's SRs Magic Missile - your fall-back spell).

Gear:
Your B/I Armor isn't anywhere near what you can handle. Max out your 7 BOD worth of Amror - you're a Mage trying to do melee, you need to be able to Soak Damage.

Lose the Manipulation Sustaining Focus. Instead, Bind a spirit (or just summon one - or both) and have it/them sustain the spells for you. Use the saved cash to buy some things like Trauma Patches, Stim Patches, Audio Enhancers (earbuds), Visual Enhancers (contacts, glasses), and other essential runner gear (Armor, Guns).

That's my 0.02Y.
« Last Edit: <04-16-14/2302:47> by emsquared »

Breach

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-16-14/2335:21> »
how would i max out my armour?

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #6 on: <04-16-14/2345:53> »
Form Fitting Armor (Full Body Suit), 6/2,     3/1 Armor Cap.
Securetech PPP (Ensemble),           2/4,  + 2/4 Armor Cap.
Armored Jacket,                              8/6,  +8/6 Armor Cap.
Bike Helment,                                 1/2,  +1/2 Armor Cap.
                                    B/I Rating 17/14, 14/13 Armor Cap. out of 14/14
« Last Edit: <04-16-14/2347:28> by emsquared »

Breach

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <04-17-14/2043:48> »
let me ask how would you take an advantage for wildcat?

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #8 on: <04-17-14/2135:53> »
let me ask how would you take an advantage for wildcat?
For each Rating in a Martial Art you take (every 5 BP) you get to choose 1 Advantage from the description of it.