NEWS

run and gun Cougar FineBlades

• 13 Replies

gazer

• Newb
« on: <04-15-14/2326:43> »
so what is there purposes, i mean as far as i can tell they are more expensive combat knives with less ap and you need a licence to own. have combat knives been changed in the errata or something because i can see almost no situation were they would be better, and if you want to get the long version you may as well get a sword.

so what i want to know is there something i am missing or are they just page filler ?   

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #1 on: <04-16-14/0019:33> »
Hmm!  Good catch.  Interesting.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <04-16-14/0122:16> »
History.

The cougar fine blade has been in SR since at least 2e....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

gazer

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-16-14/0136:50> »
if they are a brand then why not put them in the combat knife and sword fluff, you know like there are no name brand knifes and then there is Cougar FineBlades. seems like a whole entry for them is a waste when they are in no way better or different than stuff that's already out there

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #4 on: <04-16-14/0153:07> »
It's a matter of OOC oversight.  They are supposed to be better, sharper, more durable.  An example of /dev/fail/dammit/whose_job_was_it_to_catch_that/query.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-16-14/1340:40> »
Supposed to be better, yeah. Our infiltrator adept will NOT let this go. :(

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-16-14/1419:45> »
I checked Arsenal to refresh my memory and they were just as meh in 4e as they are in 5e.  I don't have any 3e books but I suppose I could go dig up my 2e Street Samurai book to see if they were in there.  Seems to me another case of cut and paste syndrome.  They just brought the item forward and converted the stats and didn't bother crosschecking against like items already in existence. 

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <04-16-14/1614:07> »
The other side of the equation might be that Combat Knives are overly ah.... "well-made."

Looking at the stats they're just shy of katanas

In fact it's arguable that they outclass even the Horizon-Flynn Rapiers since they have equivalent damage, better AP, but slightly worse off ACC And Reach.

It's kinda hard to improve off of a knife like that, though someone probably should have caught those things.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-16-14/1620:46> »
I think the combat knife is actually a little overpowered, which makes it a tricky benchmark.  Probably the best thing would have been making the short blade the same as a combat knife but with +1 Accuracy.  It's trickier to fix the long blade without making it a katana.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #9 on: <04-16-14/1716:51> »
Hell, I think the combat knife is vastly overpowered.  It's practically a katana already.  I'd suggest a -3 AP for the Cougar weapons, -2 for the combat knife.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

raleel

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <04-16-14/2334:39> »
playing a knife adept and I noticed this as well. Combat knives are quite good. Cougar fineblades should be renamed Cougar Mehblades.

Aranador

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <04-17-14/0105:39> »
Cougar fineblades have been around for many years, and when first released, were Teh Awesome and everyone wanted one.  But years have passed and the company never innovated, and now gets by on brand name recognition.  Your average mass produced combat knife is way better, but they are not called cougar fineblades, so the more money than sense crowd looks down on them.  Real runners pack a generic brand knife and grin that not only do they not stand out, they stab better.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #12 on: <04-17-14/0257:44> »
Cougar fineblades have been around for many years, and when first released, were Teh Awesome and everyone wanted one.  But years have passed and the company never innovated, and now gets by on brand name recognition.  Your average mass produced combat knife is way better, but they are not called cougar fineblades, so the more money than sense crowd looks down on them.  Real runners pack a generic brand knife and grin that not only do they not stand out, they stab better.

This is a great in-world explanation, though obviously it's not like we have any other explanation.  Personally, I would imagine that a knife company that's been around for 50 or so years would need to stay on the ... wait for it ... cutting edge.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

martinchaen

« Reply #13 on: <04-17-14/1442:54> »
This is a great in-world explanation, though obviously it's not like we have any other explanation.  Personally, I would imagine that a knife company that's been around for 50 or so years would need to stay on the ... wait for it ... cutting edge.
Oh yeah!

:D

That is all.