NEWS

Tir invasion of CFS

• 19 Replies

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <02-26-14/1513:22> »
Also, the Tir probably thought they could just walk in and take whatever they want from Northern Cali, since, they no longer had the UCAS military to back them. Or maybe they were planning on annexing the entire state. However, once the Californians actually put up a good fight, this was clearly a bad idea. Elves are not known for being humble, so they probably didn't want to back down or else it might have hurt their pride.
San Francisco sprawl alone has a population of more than 8 million persons. I'm not even considering Los Angeles. When the plan is to establish an elven homeland, that's probably not the smartest move to turn a 80% majority into a <35% minority.

In addition, one does not require a magic rating to collect raw materials, only some level of knowledge (therefore skill) in doing so.
Again, I was thinking with 2nd edition rules. It then requiresd the Enchanting skill, that only character with a Magic attribute could learn. Only later did the 3rd edition introduce a Talismongering knowledge skill available to mundanes for gathering, before the 4th edition made Enchanting available to everyone.

And yes, DeathStrobe, Hestaby wasn't a member of the Tir at the time.  I don't actually recall whether or not Lofwyr was
According to Tir Tairngire, the incursion into northern California took place in early 2036, and Lofwyr joined the council of princes in mid-2036. Dragons of the Sixth also says 2036 for the latter, while Shadows of North America says August 2035, just fourth months after the proclamation of Tir Tairngire.

I remember from 1st Ed Neo Anarchist Guide to North America that even in 2050 there were rumors of a dragon at Mt Shasta. That is interesting that the Tir might have wanted to catch her sleeping in 2036.
No. Mount Shasta is never mentioned in The Neo-Anarchist Guide to North America. That must have been another book.

The idea that Tir Tairngire moved into Northern California searching for Hestaby's lair is only one theory of mine.

MortimerBane

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <04-12-14/1923:34> »
The real reason....  Cali was breaking up.  San Fran isn't even U.S. soil anymore.  The Tir took the wooded northern parts in part to save it.  It also settled some old border disputes in the process. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #17 on: <04-13-14/0115:03> »
It also settled some old border disputes in the process.
And started a whole load of new ones.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <04-27-14/0429:14> »
  It also settled some old border disputes in the process.

Between whom? Tow extremely young states (in 2036)? That makes no sense. I'd got with the whole "mystic pattern high magic" stuff as the main reason for the invasion - it's still not a good reason, but at least it's one.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <05-08-14/2153:49> »
There's a third impetus to TT's invasion; Aztlan's invasion in the south. I don't have all my books with me, but I *feel* that Aztlan moved first. Then Tir. The only thing I can find to support right now is just the order in which it's stated in the Almanac (but that's not great support). And of course if it happened in the opposite order then I'd be wrong and it would cease to be a third reason for the Tir's invasion in northern CFS.

If Aztlan moved first, and it was a move hot on the heels of their invasion/acquisition of parts of Texas. then the Tir may have used the invasion as a political statement to the Azzies: Keep coming north and we're going to share a border. Add to that, Aztlan taking the southern state would be far more taxing than taking the northern half. The first 320 km of coastal southern CA is heavily heavily populated. The first 320 km of coastal northern CA is sparsely populated, to say the least.

All the core reasons listed above (especially those backed up by citation) still stand (I'm not disagreeing). But if Aztlan had not invaded (and invaded first), then I would bet a couple of ¥ that the Tir would have bode (bided?) their time in order to find a more effective way of annexation of the far northern CFS.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay