NEWS

AMAZON RELEASE DATES!!! -- IMPORTANT! READ THIS!!!

• 55 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« on: <11-10-13/1521:46> »
Amazon makes stuff up.  They latch onto any information about game products, estimate a release date based on zero information, and post it. 

Seriously.  Stop using Amazon as a guide to what is being released and, more importantly, when it's being released.  Consider it a rumor site akin to Ain't It Cool News or Bleeding Cool or even Reddit when it comes to CGL products and release information.

I'm entirely sick of this topic.  Can we move on now?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-10-13/1533:09> »
And I'm sick of you talking smack about what is otherwise a decent site for making online purchases. You don't like it? Fine. But quit trying to force your view down other people's throats.

You are in a position of authority for Catalyst, and your constant belittling of Amazon makes the company look bad.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #2 on: <11-10-13/1540:25> »
perhaps if catalyst were more open with release dates then people like amazon wouldn't have to resort to guessing?
just saying.....
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-10-13/1605:30> »
perhaps if catalyst were more open with release dates then people like amazon wouldn't have to resort to guessing?
just saying.....

Thought about pointing that out, but I couldn't think of a way to put it 'nicely' with how irritated I was...

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-10-13/1612:18> »
And I'm sick of you talking smack about what is otherwise a decent site for making online purchases. You don't like it? Fine. But quit trying to force your view down other people's throats.

You are in a position of authority for Catalyst, and your constant belittling of Amazon makes the company look bad.

Oh for the love of...  If they're making shit up with regard to release dates, that is bad thing for them to be doing.  People need to be aware if the information from a normally reputable source is not valid, and if a normally reputable source is deliberately providing misinformation they deserve whatever anyone says about them.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-10-13/1619:07> »

Oh for the love of...  If they're making shit up with regard to release dates, that is bad thing for them to be doing.  People need to be aware if the information from a normally reputable source is not valid, and if a normally reputable source is deliberately providing misinformation they deserve whatever anyone says about them.

Have you considered that maybe the way their system is set up requires the input of some date and that the reticence of Catalyst to actually provide an accurate date is the problem?

I mean, come on, there doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the other release dates that Amazon puts in, just the Catalyst ones. That, to me, is rather telling as to where the issue lies.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-10-13/1625:36> »
The obvious solution should be that the product does not appear on Amazon until after a release date is made available by Catalyst. So the real question is, on who's authority are these entries being added to Amazon? If Catalyst is requesting their stuff be posted, but not providing a release date, then yes, it's Catalyst's fault. If Amazon is acting on its own to post products that it doesn't have a release date for, despite their system requiring one, the problem lies with them.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-10-13/1643:45> »
Clarification of a couple things. 

1)  Not smack talking Amazon, not in this post.  Simply pointing out a fact. 

2)  Catalyst doesn't deal directly with Amazon.  At all.  We don't provide them with any information, we don't sign off on anything.  We do send out sell sheets to distributors and retailors that we do deal with, but those sell sheets never include release dates.

3)  CGL has been clear about how it handles release dates.  It's not ideal, but no release date is better than a half dozen missed release dates. If we had set release dates, SR5 was originally on the schedule for March.  The Intro Box Set was scheduled to come out within a couple weeks.  We'd have 6 SR5 books on shelves by now.  But simply put, we often set unrealistic release goals to push ourselves, and inevitably complications arise that push things back.  SR5 was still rushed to be available by Origins and Gen Con, and look how that turned out.  So we're not rushing the other products.  They'll be out when they are out.  We update you with information as often as we can.

Bull

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-10-13/1656:20> »
Sounds like it's on Amazon, then.

But wait, 6 books? Really? Are we talking all books, or core books only? Because I've only heard of three mentioned at all so far. (The core book, Run Faster and Run and Gun.)

Dal Thrax

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <11-10-13/1701:03> »
The obvious solution should be that the product does not appear on Amazon until after a release date is made available by Catalyst. So the real question is, on who's authority are these entries being added to Amazon? If Catalyst is requesting their stuff be posted, but not providing a release date, then yes, it's Catalyst's fault. If Amazon is acting on its own to post products that it doesn't have a release date for, despite their system requiring one, the problem lies with them.

I expect catalyst has to provide a catalog to their distributors to get them to buy anything. 
Warning: most likely posting from a tablet.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <11-10-13/1714:04> »

But wait, 6 books? Really? Are we talking all books, or core books only? Because I've only heard of three mentioned at all so far. (The core book, Run Faster and Run and Gun.)

Published, Print products.  Core, adventure, supplements, etc.

What, you think that's all the further we plan ahead?   Honestly, there is an outline with 18 potential products for SR5 floating around, and that was from a year ago.  But we don't even talk about a book until it's firmly slotted.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <11-10-13/1719:44> »

What, you think that's all the further we plan ahead?   Honestly, there is an outline with 18 potential products for SR5 floating around, and that was from a year ago.  But we don't even talk about a book until it's firmly slotted.

I know you guys are obviously planning products, but if you had actually planned to have 6 of them published by now, I figured titles would have at least been dropped by now.

But if we're counting everything, that makes sense.

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <11-10-13/1728:32> »
Don't forget that Data Trails was namedropped in the core book.
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <11-10-13/1743:57> »

I know you guys are obviously planning products, but if you had actually planned to have 6 of them published by now, I figured titles would have at least been dropped by now.

But if we're counting everything, that makes sense.

Well..

"Combat Book", "Magic Book", "Matrix Book", "Rigger Book", "Augmentation Book", "SR5 Companion", "Intro Boxed Set"

There's 6 core products right there.  Not all of them have a name, or it's not the final name. :)

incrdbil

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <11-10-13/1749:19> »

I mean, come on, there doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the other release dates that Amazon puts in, just the Catalyst ones. That, to me, is rather telling as to where the issue lies.

It's not just Catalyst products. All sorts of dates change, all the time on amazon. Book releases, music, you name it. And yes, that includes  products for other gaming companies. Amazon often puts in availability dates that, when you ask the original manufacturer, they you they never gave any information to them.

But to make it clear: Amazon is not a reliable source for exact release dates for new gaming products. (Heck, other distributors put in crazy availability dates as well).  The way to find out is check with the maker of that product.  The further you get away from that source, the less likely the information you get is accurate.

I'm amazed anyone thinks Amazon is a good source of release date information for any gaming product, by any company. This isn't exactly news. They've been getting release dates wildly wrong for years now.