NEWS

Having issues downloading the latest FAQ (again ver 8)

• 13 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« on: <10-17-16/2324:34> »
...I don't know why I have such difficulty downloading FAQ updates.  I have no Dropbox account (killed it a while back when it was cited as a vector for ransomware attacks).

Whenever I attempt a direct download I have to keep repeating the action until finally I get the indication it downloaded to where I want it to go.  It will open the correct folder but the action does not complete. After a bit of patience, I was able to get previous versions up to 0.5 but repetitive efforts to DL 0.6 have all been failing..
« Last Edit: <11-25-16/0034:56> by kyoto kid »
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <10-18-16/0454:25> »
where are you trying to get the file from, and what time of day?

I have noticed trying to get anything from Catalyst from 1 am to 2am PST is useless. (I think this is maintenance time)

Edit:

I just tried to get the file, and had zero problems (and I do not have an account either).

if you wish, PM me with your preferred way of transmission and I will set you up.
« Last Edit: <10-18-16/0500:48> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #2 on: <10-18-16/1549:43> »
..so Catalyst is the one putting into Dropbox then. 

What time zone are they in? as I was trying around 23:00 local time here (West Coast).

I'll try again since it's the middle of the day.

ETA:

...no dice, same as last night, it pulls up the correct target folder but the download action never completes.  Sending PM.
« Last Edit: <10-18-16/1557:35> by kyoto kid »

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-18-16/1804:43> »
Once the file is in Dropbox, Catalyst doesn't have anything to do with it, at least download-wise. So the link to the FAQ shouldn't be altered in any way based on something like that.

You also don't need to have an account with dropbox or have it installed to be able to download the file from them.

Are you following the link from the forum page or trying to right-click that link to download it?

The link on the forum isn't the file itself, it's the page where dropbox has it stored, so that could be your problem. If you haven't already, I would try following the link first, and then dealing with dropbox through the site. Again, you don't have to have it installed on your computer to download from the website.
« Last Edit: <10-18-16/1806:49> by Kiirnodel »

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-18-16/2234:28> »
Are you on a mobile? I can't download it in my mobile but my desktop does fine.

Are you on a desktop/laptop? Have you tried another browser?
Booyah!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-18-16/2301:20> »
I E-mailed the file for Kyoto Kid, so they have it now.

And it really could be anything from the security settings of his computer, to his ISP provider..... Welcome to the internet!

(there are several pages and services I have never been able to get working either.... what can you do...)

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-19-16/0729:42> »
Hey folks!

As an FYI, I guess you could say that CGL is putting the file in Dropbox since I'm a CGL employee.

The Dropbox account is not a CGL account, it is my account which I use for CDT activities, such as Agent support, convention coordination, etc.

Any problems you might encounter with Dropbox are most likely due to issues a particular device has with Dropbox and nothing to do with a CGL server, etc.
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #7 on: <11-06-16/2306:20> »
Are you on a mobile? I can't download it in my mobile but my desktop does fine.

Are you on a desktop/laptop? Have you tried another browser?
...I'm on a notebook computer that is pretty much my second desktop (battery is old and doesn't hole much of a charge any more)

I've always used FF and only recently have been experiencing these difficulties. I've made no changes to my settings so that would not be it.  I even turned off off ad blocking as well as gave the page full permission in NoScript (both of which I have been using for years), and that didn't help.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-23-16/0735:47> »
...I'm on a notebook computer that is pretty much my second desktop (battery is old and doesn't hole much of a charge any more)

I've always used FF and only recently have been experiencing these difficulties. I've made no changes to my settings so that would not be it.  I even turned off off ad blocking as well as gave the page full permission in NoScript (both of which I have been using for years), and that didn't help.
Are you still having issues? I just accessed and downloaded the file using FF50...with no problem. The only extensions running were LastPass and uBlock Origin.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #9 on: <11-24-16/2343:08> »
...still having no luck downloading directly to my system .  This only began a couple updates ago.  I made sure any adblocking was turned off as well as cleared cache and cookies yet the file simply refuses to download.  I can open it in my PDF reader online but am unable to save it through that route either as the save file button is deactivated.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <11-25-16/0726:02> »
Wow...that is REALLY weird... :o Have you checked your anti-virus and/or fire wall settings...any chance a recent update there tweaked something? Are you getting the same behavior with other browsers?

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #11 on: <12-16-16/0423:36> »
...have ad blocking turned off, Cleared all Dropbox cookies, cleared cache and still nothing.  I've had updates turned off fro a while since before I began encountering this issue.  It will pop up Windows explorer to let me select where to download to but when I click "save", nothing happens.

This seemed to start with Revision 6.

The only browser I use is FF as IE is like a screen door on a space station security wise and Chrome doesn't play well with a number of sites I frequent.

-----

ETA:  I even resurrected my old Dropbox account, DL'd the file to there but still cannot DL it to my system.  Now I have no Idea what the issue is.
« Last Edit: <12-16-16/0454:18> by kyoto kid »

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <12-18-16/0809:20> »
Man...that is REALLY strange. I'm wondering if somehow you've got a firewall issue (or something like that) which is blocking DB downloads. If needed, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the file going forward.

Have you raised the question with DropBox?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-18-16/0957:59> »
Yea... almost sounding like you have DB on a control list for your system. You can check this out under your Internet Prefences tab....