NEWS

First attempt at Gunslinger Adept

• 10 Replies

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« on: <07-27-16/0204:44> »
Built for a "Street Plus" game. I realize that akimbo is ridiculous -- style over substance. No, he wasn't a Paladin, don't be silly -- was just a cadet, during the coup, long story.

Additional thoughts welcome, this is my first pass:

METATYPE: ELF
B 3, A 7, R 5/7, S 4, W 4, L 3, I 5, C 4, ESS 6, EDG 2, M 6
Condition Monitor (P/S): 10 / 10
Armor: 15
Limits: Physical 6, Mental 5, Social 7
Physical Initiative: 10/12+3D6
Matrix Initiative: 10+3D6
Active Skills: Automatics (Submachine Guns +2) 6 (9), Close Combat Group 1, Gymnastics (Parkour +2) 6, Intimidation (Mental +2) 6, Perception 6, Pilot Ground Craft 5, Stealth Group 1
Knowledge Skills: Black Market (Seattle +2) 3, Dragons 2, Military Background (Special Operations +2) 3, Wilderness Survival 2
Languages: English N, Japanese 2, Sperethiel 2
Metatype Abilities: Enhanced Senses: Low-Light Vision
Qualities: Adept, Agile Defender, Ambidexterous, Big Regret, Code of Honor: The Paladin's Code (a.k.a. Elven Chivalry) (8dicepool vs., Disgraced, Hawk Eye, Mentor Spirit: Dragonslayer, Solid Rep: Tir Paladins
Adept Powers: Combat Sense (3), Danger Sense (1), Enhanced Accuracy: Automatics, Improved Ability (3): Automatics, Improved Reflexes (2), Rapid Draw
Gear:
. . Argentum Coat w/ -3 modifier for concealability, Custom Fit, Custom Fit (Stack), Increase Social Limit by 1
. . Ballistic Mask (Customized) w/ Gas Mask, Micro-Tranceiver, Smartlink, Trodes
. . Berwick Suit w/ -2 modifier for concealability, Custom Fit, Increase Social Limit by 1
. . Certified Credstick, Gold
. . Climbing Gear
. . Ear buds (3) w/ Audio Enhancement (3)
. . Flashlight, Low-Light
. . Forearm Guards w/ Autopicker (6), Miniwelder
. . Glue Solvent
. . Glue Sprayer
. . Hermes Ikon w/ Sim Module
. . Horizon BoomerEye w/ Camera
. . Identity: Specify Name w/ Fake License: Concealed Weapons (3), Fake License: Firearms (3), Fake License: Melee Weapons (3), Fake SIN (3), (1 month) Low Lifestyle
. . Medkit (6)
. . Metal Restraints
. . Microwire (m) x101
. . Plastic Restraints x10
. . Rapelling Gloves
. . Reactive Myomer Pack
. . Survival Kit
. . Trauma Patch x2
. . Vigilant Iron Schooling House
Weapons:
. . Ingram Smartgun X [SMG, Acc 9, DV 8P, AP –, BF/FA, RC 2(3), 32 (c)] w/ Custom Look, Electronic Firing, Flashlight, Low-Light, Folding Stock, Gas-Vent System (2), Personalized Grip, (128x) Regular Ammo, Silencer/Suppressor, Sling, Smartgun System, Internal, (3x) Spare Clips, Trigger Removal
. . Ingram Smartgun X [SMG, Acc 9, DV 8P, AP –, BF/FA, RC 2(3), 32 (c)] w/ Custom Look, Electronic Firing, Flashlight, Low-Light, Folding Stock, Gas-Vent System (2), Personalized Grip, (128x) Regular Ammo, Silencer/Suppressor, Sling, Smartgun System, Internal, (3x) Spare Clips, Trigger Removal
. . Hardliner Gloves [Unarmed, Acc 7, DV 5P, AP –] w/ Gecko Grip, Personalized Grip
. . Katana [Blade,Blade, Reach 1, Acc 8, DV 7P, AP -3] w/ Custom Look, Personalized Grip
. . Gas Grenade, Pepper Punch [Grenade, non-aerodynamic, Acc 6, DV By Chem., 10m R, AP –] w/ Pepper Punch
. . Gas Grenade, Pepper Punch [Grenade, non-aerodynamic, Acc 6, DV By Chem., 10m R, AP –] w/ Pepper Punch
Contacts:
Bodyguard (Connection 2, Loyalty 5)
Fixer (Connection 3, Loyalty 2)
Starting ¥: 3D6 × 60¥

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Shadowrun © 2005-2016 The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Shadowrun is a registered trademark of The Topps Company, Inc.
« Last Edit: <07-27-16/0206:27> by JoeNapalm »

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-27-16/0243:41> »
I'd use Adept powers to Raise AGI (your most important Attribute !)
Instead of  Improved Ability (3): Automatics,
I'd lower it to 1 and get Enhanced AGI 1 ( the one that raises AGI permanent by  1  don't know what it's called in Englisch)

I'd even consider loosing 1 Point of Essence for genetic Optimisation AGI ( 0.2) and Muscle Augmentation 2 ( 0.4)
 and later Ingame to Rating 4 or Enhanced AGI ---> Rating 2 for a maximum of +4.
With an AGI of 8(12) yould be more Awesome and you'd need Skills at a much lower level to perform even better than now with AGI 7
Especially if you want to use the Ingram Smart X Akimbo !

with an Akimbo Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-27-16/0343:14> »
Medicineman made some good point. An alternative is to pick Attribute Boost (AGI) Rating 1, with your Magic it should give +2 AGI for only 1 drain and a simple Action.

For WIL it's best to have odd number to get an extra Monitor Box so I recommend raising it to 5 or lowering to 3.

With that much AGI it is a shame not to raise your Sneaking dice more. I recommend picking the skill alone. If you do not play full Pink Mohawk, relying on Intimidation alone is tricky. Con and Etiquette are much more versatile social skills.

Danger Sense could probably be dropped for something else, maybe an Attribute Boost? Adrenaline Boost can also be nice for combat, Missile Parry can have its use (though you generally want some throwing weapon skills with it). Improved Sense or Light Body will fit your non-combat skills.

Personally I prefer my Smartlink on Contacts or Glasses if not directly implanted. Something you can wear everywhere contrary to a Ballistic Mask. Trodes and Micro-Transceiver might suffer the same problem.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #3 on: <07-27-16/1033:28> »
Thanks, guys, appreciate the input.

Gonna reply to some points. Not to be contrary, just laying out what I did what I did and why I didn't do what I didn't do.

Open to dialogue to alternatives. Many decisions based on restrictions of Street Level chargen -- very lacking in Karma and money...actually what made me go Adept to begin with, as I couldn't see a way to build with any reasonable amount of chrome. :P

I'd use Adept powers to Raise AGI (your most important Attribute !)
Instead of  Improved Ability (3): Automatics,
I'd lower it to 1 and get Enhanced AGI 1 ( the one that raises AGI permanent by  1  don't know what it's called in Englisch)

Is there a permanent one? Attribute Boost has to be activated. Didn't want to waste actions and futz about with Drain, but I see your point about it being an across the board boost vs just Automatics.

[EDIT: Ah ha! Improved Physical Attribute!! How in the Sixth World did I miss THAT?! Thank you!!]

I'd even consider loosing 1 Point of Essence for genetic Optimisation AGI ( 0.2) and Muscle Augmentation 2 ( 0.4)
 and later Ingame to Rating 4 or Enhanced AGI ---> Rating 2 for a maximum of +4.
With an AGI of 8(12) yould be more Awesome and you'd need Skills at a much lower level to perform even better than now with AGI 7
Especially if you want to use the Ingram Smart X Akimbo !

Sounds great, except that it would take exactly my entire starting funds to purchase a single level of Muscle Augmentation. Once I get off the streets and have some cash, I can consider trading out some ESS/MAG for 'ware.

Always started as standard or elite builds in the past...this hobo stuff is hard to work around.

For WIL it's best to have odd number to get an extra Monitor Box so I recommend raising it to 5 or lowering to 3.

I can see the benefit of trying to raise it (though I'll have to find that point somewhere), but lowering it, while adding Powers that cause Drain, doesn't seem like a 100% beneficial action. Yeah, I don't get an extra box, but I also am more likely to take Drain and less likely to resist nasty things that WIL counters, no?

With that much AGI it is a shame not to raise your Sneaking dice more. I recommend picking the skill alone. If you do not play full Pink Mohawk, relying on Intimidation alone is tricky. Con and Etiquette are much more versatile social skills.

Agreed. Absolute shame. I am not a fan of how the Skill Groups work, and I hate having low rank skills - were I not compelled by the chargen system to have 2 Skill Groups that I can't break, I'd never spend points on a skill rank less than 3, because I want to at least average an extra success for my investment. Sadly, it doesn't work that way, unless I'm doing something sideways.

[EDIT : I'm ALL EARS if you have any tips on fixing my skill efficiency, btw!  :'(]

Con and Intimidate are different sides of the same coin -- they both get people to do what you want, just via different emotional circuits. Even the text for Intimidate says it can be used from everything from negotiation to interrogation. More importantly, my gear boosts my Intimidate skill dramatically -- I would take a serious hit trying to go the Con route. Maybe there's Con gear, but I'm not a Face...I'll stick with my scary mask and guns.

I read Etiquette as more of blending in and avoiding faux pas -- not super versatile, just making you more of a social chameleon.

Danger Sense could probably be dropped for something else, maybe an Attribute Boost? Adrenaline Boost can also be nice for combat, Missile Parry can have its use (though you generally want some throwing weapon skills with it). Improved Sense or Light Body will fit your non-combat skills.

Danger Sense is "free" from my Mentor Spirit. Missile Parry is highly situational, I'd rather invest in something that is useful for Defense vs everything than something that I might use someday.

Improved Sense might be nice, but won't stack with Hawk Eye, I don't think.

Light Body was in my concept (I was going to go all Crouching Runner/Hidden Dragonslayer), but I found it too broken and marginal to be worth the investment.

Personally I prefer my Smartlink on Contacts or Glasses if not directly implanted. Something you can wear everywhere contrary to a Ballistic Mask. Trodes and Micro-Transceiver might suffer the same problem.

Paid double for the avante garde, high-fashion mask. Wearable in more social situations. Intimidate high enough, I hope, to be able to keep it on in most situations (Street Level game, dropping up to 19 [9] Intimidate dice, I think that bouncer is going to decide to not ask me to remove it). Contacts and Glasses viable alternatives, when I have the cash for niceties like redundant systems.

I am going to, however, put the triggers back on those Ingrams -- if I do have to remove the mask, for whatever reason, I'd have to take the time to put it back on to even fire the weapons, as designed now.

Thanks again!

-Jn-
« Last Edit: <07-27-16/1104:52> by JoeNapalm »

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-27-16/1133:01> »
I missed it was Street Level, it is such an imbalanced chargen... basically force everyone to go Adept or Magician. Well if your GM decided to go for it, whatever. Just suggest to him that next time if he wants to make a campaign with weaker runner he should go with karmagen with a lower starting karma, much smoother for the poor Street Sams.

Adept Drain are generally quite weak so you do not need WIL that badly. Now WIL 4 is not that bad, merely a small optimisation. By the way you could easily get two attributes points from LOG (since you do not use it much from your sheet) and raise it back to 2 with 10 karma. I would reinvest it into CHA and WIL.

The problem of Intimidation is that it is hard to use if you do not have the superiority. And let's be honest, you rarely have. Johnson have a whole Corp behind them, Gangs often outnumber you… I think you should be able to pull it off, especially since you are not the Face but just be careful not to abuse it as it could put you in a really bad situation, even if your dice was successful.

Don't underestimate the value of picking flying grenades! But yeah without throwing skill forget about Missile Parry.

Improved Sense completely stack with Hawk Eye. First all sense you get from it are not necessarly linked to vision and second even those on vision work. Hawk Eye only condition is that it does not stack with electronic vision enhancement so magic enhancement are fine.

I can help for your skills, just tell me what Priority/Sum To Ten you picked for all your character.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-27-16/1146:14> »
The permanent stat enhancing powers are bad because they're overpriced. 1 PP for 1 AGI just isn't worth it. Boost or ware are much more bang for your metaphysical buck.
Playability > verisimilitude.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #6 on: <07-27-16/1620:21> »
The permanent stat enhancing powers are bad because they're overpriced. 1 PP for 1 AGI just isn't worth it. Boost or ware are much more bang for your metaphysical buck.

It's the "on paper" argument, kind of, again -- if you weren't adding your Magic to the roll, it would seem like an even trade, mathematically.

It's almost as if they just looked at the Rank and not the actual test. 1PP would get you 4 dice, and you'd get +1 around 80% of the time, +2 around 40%, +3 around 11%, and +0 around 20%

But, for example, with my Magic 6, throwing 10 dice, it's a BIG difference. I'm drawing +3 at 70% of the time, +4 at 40%, and only failing at a little over 1%.

Hmmm.

Or am I reading this wrong?

[EDIT: Upon further consideration, this may be the trade-off for ALWAYS on. If I just wanna to use Parkour to get around, I'd have to Boost and Drain, if I get ambushed, if I'm using AGI for anything other than combat Gun Bunnying, etc...Not sure if that's worth the trade-off, but food for thought...

It would cap at +4 above my current stat, neh?]

-Jn-
« Last Edit: <07-27-16/1702:22> by JoeNapalm »

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-27-16/1733:18> »
The big consideration for "always on" is "you can fit Muscle Toner 4 for less than the MAG cost equivalent of Improved AGI 1."

Yeah, 4 exceeds chargen availability, but Used 3 is still less than the equivalent of 1 PP of magic (0.75 Essence).

That's pretty clearly a better deal.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <07-27-16/1738:27> »
To get some Sneaking consider lowering Gymnastics and Pilot Groundcraft. Gymnastics is rarely an opposed test so you do not need it high. Pilot Groundcraft can be useful if you are the team pilot, else you can just have a couple of point in it for most stuff.

In any way Sneaking is much more essential than those two.

I've tried some combination and I think this one work fine : Athletics Group 2; Automatics 6 (SMG); Blades 2 (with Karma); Intimidation 6 (Mental); Perception 6 (Visual); Pilot Ground Craft 2 (with Karma); Sneaking 6 (Urban)

Something else I've done but that is not necessary is to pick in priority : A - Attributes; B - Metatype; C - Skills; D - Magic; E - Resources. Doing so will make you lose the +4 to a skill from Adept but you will gain enough Special Attributes to raise Magic to 6 and get Edge to 3.

If you want to keep a fairly high Gymnastics keep Magic at B and Metatype at D and go for Close Combat Group and Gymnastics 3 (Parkour).

adzling

« Reply #9 on: <07-27-16/2137:11> »
This applies to all adepts powers ;-)
but this guy is poor due to street + start point so that does change things towards no ware

The big consideration for "always on" is "you can fit Muscle Toner 4 for less than the MAG cost equivalent of Improved AGI 1."

Yeah, 4 exceeds chargen availability, but Used 3 is still less than the equivalent of 1 PP of magic (0.75 Essence).

That's pretty clearly a better deal.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #10 on: <07-28-16/1014:06> »
This applies to all adepts powers ;-)
but this guy is poor due to street + start point so that does change things towards no ware

This. I have to share an apartment with another Runner kind of poor.  :P

I did some major changes based on the input here, don't have the statblock handy, can repost later.

[EDIT : I moved ATT points around to make it BOD 5, WIL 3, LOG 2 -- Drain resist goes up a little, but also a little worried about mental saves....Thoughts?]

I reworked my Skills, dumped the Stealth Group, found 6pts for Sneak, upped Close Combat to Group 2...still just bad, but better.

For my Powers, I dumped Improved Ability (Automatics) entirely, and used the points to get Attribute Boost (AGI) 2 and -- wait for it -- Improved Physical Ability (AGI) 1.

I figure there's diminishing returns on Attribute Boost -- the difference is that now I'm starting from one point higher. Instead of throwing D10 to boost AGI 7, I'm throwing D8 to boost AGI 8. So, for example, I lose 20% off my chance to roll a +4 boost, but I'm 10% more likely to roll a +3 (which is breaking even, because I start a point higher) and still get a 40% chance to hit +4, which is now one point above the cap for the AB4 build.

Example :

AGI 7 with Attribute Boost 4 gives me a 44.07% chance of hitting AGI 11

AGI 8 with Attribute Boost 2 gives me a 53.18% chance of hitting AGI 11, and a 25.86% of hitting AGI 12.

It's so simple!  :P

I totally hear you on the PP economy of Improved Physical Ability vs 'ware, but since I can't afford 'ware, and can trade out that PP for 'ware later on, it seems like a good trade off for now.

-Jn-
« Last Edit: <07-28-16/1039:33> by JoeNapalm »