NEWS

Power Foci and Summoning

• 21 Replies

SlipperyChummer

• Newb
« on: <09-03-15/0006:02> »
If a magician has a power focus, does that change the force of spirit he can summon without incurring physical drain?

For example: A magic user with 6 magic takes physical drain when summoning a force 7 spirit. But if he puts on a force 1 power focus beforehand, does that mean he would take stun instead?

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-03-15/0013:49> »
No.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-03-15/0440:12> »
Hibiki is right, at least according to most people.

This has been discussed before; see for example http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13069.165

(There is not a general agreement, but the concensus is very much no, for a variety of reasons).

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-03-15/0655:53> »
Power foci modify the dice pools involving the MAG stat, not your effective MAG rating.
Playability > verisimilitude.

SlipperyChummer

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-03-15/1511:16> »
Power foci modify the dice pools involving the MAG stat, not your effective MAG rating.

My core book says this:

POWER FOCI
Power foci live up to their name. They are very powerful
foci that temporarily increase your effective Magic rating.
That means they add to your Sorcery, Conjuring, and
Enchanting dice pools, along with any other test where
Magic is involved. Power foci can take any form, but for
some reason, rings and amulets are quite popular
The previous discussion let me know just how much controversy there is on this matter. There's no real sense in continuing the argument here unless something changed.

Was there ever some kind of errata or dev clarification on this?

living

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-03-15/1514:29> »
As mentioned in the other topic, the clarification on the rule is in the German core rule book.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <09-03-15/1613:07> »
As mentioned in the other topic, the clarification on the rule is in the German core rule book.
I've long been curious as to how/why ze Germans consistently seem to get the better or more clear rules.

living

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-03-15/1626:12> »
I've long been curious as to how/why ze Germans consistently seem to get the better or more clear rules.

its published later (im still waiting for data trails) and gets more proof reading. any change/clarifiaction/rewording is checked with catalyst. in some cases theire is new stuff in it too. like the german grimoire got more mentor spirits (like electro marten).

and its much cheaper and got more artwork ;)

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-03-15/1753:33> »
Daaaaang.

Any chance you could share that mentor? PM maybe? I don't speak German  :-\

living

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-03-15/2012:30> »
done :)

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #10 on: <09-03-15/2222:10> »
Now I'm going to have to go hunting down copies of German books and trying to translate the extra stuff. We need a thread or something with what the differences are between the two. May help clear up some issues.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #11 on: <09-03-15/2301:36> »
I second that notion.
If only I had kept my German up to speed :/
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

living

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-04-15/0447:37> »
the problem is to spot the differences. sometimes its obvious, like the 5 new mentor spirits in the grimoire. but wording changes and clarifications arent. i often wonder, why theire are discussions about a topic what seems to me pretty clear, then i realize that the english wording is not as exact as the german.

in german exist shadow manuel and shadow manuel 2 as print versions. the first includs cojote, assassins primer, gun heaven 3, parazoologie 2075 and 12 pages of new german weapons and cars. the second includs shadow spells, bullets and bandages, parabotanic 2075, parageologie, aetherologie and 4 new mentor spirits, a new magic group, plants and some new ADL weapons.
but i dont have them (a friend does). i still wait for the german data trails...

« Last Edit: <09-04-15/0454:51> by living »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #13 on: <09-04-15/0459:09> »
Hmmm,

Starting to sound like the German publisher has a limited creative license as well.

That, or the German market is being used as a test bed for up comming world content releases. That is the only reasons I can come up with for the additional content you mention...

(Unless its just a change from something in the world release that wouldn't fly with German censors. You know: calling a "flashlight a "torch", etc)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <09-04-15/0526:03> »
>> That, or the German market is being used as a test bed for up comming world content releases.

You read tooo many conspiracy theories ;)
No the German Shadomanuals (Schattenhandbücher) are merely a printed collection of some of the CGL PDF-only documents.
The additional content is a an Incentive/Bonus for the German readers to buy the Book in German
its mostly German Cars and German Weapons or German Traditions, German Magic Circels and German Totems like Dackel or Wolpertinger
The only Time (I remember of) that Pegasus omitted something from CGL Books was the infamous "Arbeit macht Frei" Run in War! (the one where the Chars are on a Treasure Hunt in one of the Concentration Camps to get a Nazi Artefact and where they have to "kill " the Spirits of the jewish people a second time.
And I think You can understand, that we didn't to publish this . But this has been a long time ago and should better be forgotten to never be mentioned again :) )
Generally Pegasus doesn't omit something. They may decide not to translate/print it in German though (like the SR4A Seattle Book) 

with a German Dance
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <09-04-15/0532:59> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8