NEWS

A civilian variant of Ares Alpha

• 5 Replies

psycho835

• Omae
« on: <08-28-17/1038:52> »
Hoi, chummers!
So, it started when gun bunny wanted an Ares Alpha with an underbarrel shotgun instead of a grenade launcher. That's when I remembered the variants from WAR! - Bravo and Sierra, which replaced the GL with, respectively, a vibroblade and a stun baton. I thought, why not, surely Ares wouldn't mind earning a few nuyen more with such a minor modification, right? Then, I thought: "Hey, wait a sec! They could earn even more if they made a civilian variant!"
So why is this rifle illegal? Well, there's the smartlink, but I that's R availability. Then there's the underbarrel weapons - grenade launchers and vibroblades, I can understand, but stun batons? Wouldn't that be an excellent weapon for security forces? So, I've decided to change that. Eventually, I've decided to simply replace the underbarrel weapon with a slide mount. Aaaand then I went a little... Further. In my defense, I was a little sauced.

Model                                          Availability                                          Cost                                            Standard Upgrades (in addition to the internal smartgun system)
Alpha (original)                          11F                                                      2650Y                                             Underbarrel Grenade Launcher
Bravo (bayonet/blade)              13F                                                      3450Y                                              Underbarrel Vibroblade (Acc: 4, DV: STR+3, AP: -2, Reach: 2 NOTE: battery sufficient for 1h of operation)
Sierra (stun baton)                    13F(should be 13R, IMHO)                  2900Y                                              Underbarrel Stun Baton (Acc: 4, DV: 9S(e), AP: -5, Reach: 2, Ammo: 10)
Charlie (crossbow)                     13R                                                     3150Y                                              Underbarrel Crossbow (Acc: 5(7), DV: 7P, AP: -2, SS, RC: -, Ammo: 1 NOTE: barrel mount is unoccupied)
Foxtrot (flamethrower)               15F                                                     3600Y                                              Underbarrel Flamethrower (Acc: 4(6), DV: 10P, AP: -6, SA/BF, RC: -, Ammo: 3(c) NOTE: can lay down suppressive fire)
Golf (grapple gun)                      13F                                                     3000Y                                              Underbarrel Grapple Gun (Acc: 3(5), DV: 7S, AP: -2, SS, RC: -, Ammo: 1(ml))
Kilo (shotgun)                             11F                                                     2500Y                                              Underbarrel Shotgun (Acc: 3(5), DV: 9P, AP: -1, SS/SA, RC:-1 , Ammo 4(m))
Lima (laser)                                18F                                                   24500Y                                              Underbarrel Laser (Acc: 8(10), DV: 5P, AP: -10, SA, RC: -, Ammo: 5(c) or external power source)
November (netgun)                   13R                                                      3100Y                                             Underbarrel Netgun, Basic (Acc: 4(6), DV: -, AP: -, SS, RC: -, Ammo 1(m))
Romeo (mounting rail)                12R                                                     2100Y                                              Underbarrel Slide Mount

EDIT: Fixed and updated. You might be wondering why the shotgun variant is designated "Kilo". That's K for "Knocker" - as in, breaching shotgun.
« Last Edit: <09-10-17/1310:59> by psycho835 »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <08-28-17/1051:16> »
I think a variant of the Ares Alpha without any built-in underbarrel accessory, marketed towards private security would make sense.  Just be known that, from a metagame perspective, that will give players even less reason to not get anything other than an Ares Alpha.  It would almost completely obsolete the Colt Inception from Gun H(e)aven 3.  If you don't care about that kind of thing though, what you did isn't unbalancing or anything and works for a houserule.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-28-17/1053:30> »
Good to know, thanks.

Could use a suggestion for naming the shotgun variant, though. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: <08-28-17/1057:55> by psycho835 »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #3 on: <08-28-17/1111:56> »
"Foxtrot" for Flechette?
Or maybe "Romeo" for Redundant!  XP

I personally don't see why you'd need an underbarrel shotgun that is generally worse in every way than the gun it's connected to, unless it's purely for firing flechette ammo.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-28-17/1117:08> »
The gun bunny wanted to use it with shock lock shells

Foxtrot, hmmm... I was wondering about underbarrel flamethrower variant, but now...

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #5 on: <08-28-17/1614:40> »
Sierra Bravo = Stun Baton
Sierra = Shotgun
Foxtrot = Flamethrower
Charlie = Chainsaw
Mike/Mike Romeo = mounting rail
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?