NEWS

Just looking for a yes or no regarding Drake Shift ability rule

• 101 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <10-22-16/0247:00> »
I don't have a copy of my book (deleted it from the tablet thinking I'd put it on my laptop and can't remember my drive thru RPG login) on me and noticed something missing in herolab as I was missing around. Is there a time limit on the drake shift ability, not how long they can remain shifted but how long they need between shifts? I know a Drake with magic 3 has 6 rounds before they start taking unresisted damage till they change back but is there a rule on how long they need to wait before shifting again. That is if they're shifted for 6 rounds do they need to wait 6 before turning back or can they just grab a break in the combat to return to metahuman then spend a complex action to shift for another 6. Don't need to know what it is (unless it was given in an earlier edition and left out of this one) just whether there is or isn't one.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #1 on: <10-22-16/0326:22> »
From Howling Shadows, Page 194.

Shift (Dracoform)
The defining ability of a drake, this is the power to
transform into a draconic hybrid form. When activated,
the character gains the powers listed in the Dracoform
Table (p. 163) as well as any optional powers they have
purchased. The character can remain in this form for a
number of rounds equal to twice their Magic Rating, after
which they take 2S drain unresisted each round until
they return to their metahuman form.

Nothing is described for cooldown, so by RAW, I assume that returning to metahuman form is all it takes.
Meaning, even after a drake has run out of turns (and starts taking stun) they're two Complex Actions away from resuming their dracoform.
"You haven't truly lived until you've had a Cortex bomb!" ~Former GM

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-22-16/0405:52> »
Thats what I thought, nice to know I'm not the only one thanks. May need to come up with a house rule if I ever get to see how they play. Definately makes dracoform mastery seem overpriced as is, 50 karma vs 2 complex actions.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #3 on: <10-22-16/1505:30> »
Yeah, it's a pretty stupid limitation for using something that already carries significant risk and frankly, minor benefit.
Getting caught shifting is a surefire way to become a person of interest for any megacorp, and a big kidnapping target for great dragons.

I currently houserule Dracoform Mastery as being completely unnecessary; in my game, Drakes can shift and remain in their dracoform as long as desired.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-23-16/0522:28> »
Yeah, it's a pretty stupid limitation for using something that already carries significant risk and frankly, minor benefit.
Getting caught shifting is a surefire way to become a person of interest for any megacorp, and a big kidnapping target for great dragons.
That's why all Drakes get the Wanted quality.

I currently houserule Dracoform Mastery as being completely unnecessary; in my game, Drakes can shift and remain in their dracoform as long as desired.
So, just to confirm here, you are saying that being able to stay Shifted indefinitely is a "minor benefit?" I'd have to disagree, it's pretty huge.
Sure, in combat it might be more of a minor inconvenience to need to take a couple of complex actions to swap back and forth, but I think most people would agree that a lot can happen in two passes. Plus it's not just in combat that this affects, it also gives the Drake access to the full compliment of their Drakomorph powers without any sort of limitation. Normally, the Drake can only hold their form for short durations without it being too straining. This means they can't do things like Fly cross-country or go deep-sea diving, and that's just one example. It seems to me that the short time limit was a very conscious effort to limit Drakes by RAW. Taking that limit away entirely seems like it would throw off that intended balance.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-23-16/0530:46> »
I can understand the logic behind Dwagonzahn taking away that limitation. I sincerely doubt that the great dragons who first made the drakes would have given them such a glaring and potentially lethal weakness.

I understand wanting to limit them somehow, but that way doesn't seem to make sense IMO. New drakes, maybe, but older drakes should have a far better mastery of their drake abilities and not have that problem.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <10-23-16/0542:43> »
Note in the write up for drakes they state MANY times that there is a large difference between Drakes that are thralls to Great Dragons, and player character drakes.

Thrall Drakes don't have as many limitations on them because they have been indoctrinated and trained by their Great Dragon owners in the use of their abilities from a very young age.

Player Drakes somehow escaped the notice of their Owner GD and now have to muddle through learning their drake abilities on their own...

Big difference here. Free Will (and being a playable race) VS  great power and absolute slavery.
(No Drake that has been claimed by a Dragon has ever escaped their Owner's Will...)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #7 on: <10-23-16/1227:33> »
That's why all Drakes get the Wanted quality.
Indeed. Proves my point, no?

So, just to confirm here, you are saying that being able to stay Shifted indefinitely is a "minor benefit?" I'd have to disagree, it's pretty huge.
Sure, in combat it might be more of a minor inconvenience to need to take a couple of complex actions to swap back and forth, but I think most people would agree that a lot can happen in two passes.

Plus it's not just in combat that this affects, it also gives the Drake access to the full compliment of their Drakomorph powers without any sort of limitation. Normally, the Drake can only hold their form for short durations without it being too straining. This means they can't do things like Fly cross-country or go deep-sea diving, and that's just one example. It seems to me that the short time limit was a very conscious effort to limit Drakes by RAW. Taking that limit away entirely seems like it would throw off that intended balance.

Since you seem so concerned with "intended balance", let me shed some light on the actual (AND INSANE) costs at work here.
Drake: 75-145 Karma, BASE INVESTMENT..

Howling Shadows, Page 164
The high Karma cost for this quality need not be paid
completely during character generation, but the balance
must be paid with earned Karma during the campaign
before the character is able to shift into dracoform for
the first time

For a normal runner, buying good qualities and not crippling themselves with negative qualities will yield this Karma readily under Karma Gen or Prime Runner Priority/SumTo10.
Using normal priority generation (Standard runner grade), a Free Drake will begin with the Wanted quality (again, one of the worst in the game) and gain NO BENEFITS WHATSOEVER for (being generous here) ~7 successful runs.

If you take Latent Dracomorphosis...

The quality does not come free, of course. The character
must immediately pay for benefits of their dracomorphosis
with Karma—double the cost for buying the
quality after character creation (p. 106, SR5), less the
cost of the Latent Dracomorphosis quality—(75 – 5) x
2 = 140 Karma, to be exact. If the character does not
have Karma available at the time (and few will have a pile
of unspent Karma of that size just sitting around), the
gamemaster collects it as they deem fit from any Karma
awards the character earns until the debt is paid off.
Until
it is all paid off, some rewards should be phased in—such
as one bonus attribute point for every 10 Karma paid, or
one dracoform power for each 5 Karma paid.

...145 Karma.
5 karma at character creation for Latent Dracomorphosis + 140 karma for the Drake quality later.
Sweet mother of sin, this had better be something truly awesome. Is it? Lets find out.

-if a Latent Drake begin Awakened at character creation, they will attain a Magic attribute of 1 when they first become a drake (regardless of whether or not the character chooses to awaken as a Mage/Adept/MysAd, by RAW).
This leads to an unintentionally hilarious and awful situation where a Drake spends their first Complex Action changing, it's second round in dracoform doing whatever...and then it must spend its second dracoform turn changing back to avoid the drain starting on its next turn.

You say you can accomplish a lot with two complex actions? How about missing two turns per three poofing into and out of Dracoform, just because you didn't pay the unspoken Extra Magic Tax at character creation?
Want to fix it? Finish paying off that massive Drake quality debt, and then you can sink even more large sums of karma into initiating and raising your Magic (which is at least more useful for other things), OR a one time investment of 50(!) more karma on top of a 75-145 karma install base.

Time to tally up: For your 125-195 Karma investment you get:

-Sea Drakes get a decent stat boost, a little extra armor and all the benefits of a (dual-natured) deep-sea diving suit. (FYI: Diving Armor is 2650 nuyen for suit and helmet.)
-Flighty-Drakes: Sorry, it's actually 139-209 Karma, as they must pay 14 more karma to attain the Flight Power. They can fly at a pretty good clip under their own power. Assuming they manage to reach this point with their free will and well being intact, this is a nice reward, but hardly game breaking. Why?...

...Because these options exist:

\-A) Spellcasters can buy Levitation at the princely sum of...5 Karma. FIVE. KARMA.
Sustaining it indefinitely costs a whole -2 DP to their pools
OR 2x Rating in additional Karma for a Manipulation Sustaining Foci (arguably the best kind of Sustaining Foci)
OR 4x Rating in additional Karma for Focused Concentration (which is already among the the best spellcaster qualities available if not THE BEST.)

\-B) Though not as "eloquent" in form, mundane runners can still fly a number of personal vehicles AT CHARACTER CREATION. Unlike Drakes, vehicles are far more practical for teams at large, packing more stats where it counts: Armor, cover, raw power, cargo, and of course speed. A good aircraft may cost upwards of 300k (150+ karma), but if it benefits the WHOLE TEAM (as most vehicles do), then it is automatically a far superior investment than having a fly-guy drake with crippled skills/attributes.

-Oh and while I'm on the subject, those other dracoform attribute bonuses? Since they're still confined by augmented metatype limits they are providing absolutely nothing 'ware, drugs and regular magic can't reach, and far more efficiently. Given the large sacrifices a drake must make in Karma and/or opportunity costs, this is more salt in the wound.

But even in the best case scenario, for all the SMART DRAKES who did everything "right" in maximizing efficiency at character creation  (built via Karma Gen and nabbed a Magic 6 tradition out of the gate):
1) Combat should be resolved well before they get 12 11 turns to worry about that drain. Making Dracoform Mastery rather pointless to prolonged a combat stim/buff.
2) For long distance flight, flighty drakes could just buy a drake-friendly Wingsuit (110% price, by RAW) and use that to glide on the "off turns" (at least long enough to get another 2 consecutive turns to return to full Drake Flight). Sure that seems like a stupid character concept, but even that is preferable to the stupid practice of spending FIFTY KARMA to save two complex actions for any circumstance you could easily avoid in the first place.

In conclusion: If the ability to move under your own power is the worst case scenario you can offer for me breaking "intended balance", then consider me thoroughly unconvinced.

Drakes have great RP potential and good lore, but are, in my opinion, among the worst choices a player can make in terms of pure mechanics when designing a character in SR5.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-24-16/1420:38> »
It seems to go back to my comments elsewhere about people being a lot more willing to call out a magical solution to something as "unbalanced" even if there is an equivilent technology one that does the same thing potentially by cheaper/easier/safer means. Technological flying doesn't leave you falling if you hit a manaebb and I have no idea what would happen to a seadrake at the bottom of the mariana trench if they hit one. I was leaning towards making the shifted time to be "(Body + Magic) * 2) so a Drake could still be a street Sam and have a decent time in the form but your post really does put a different perspective on things. I might do the same thing you are, I'm already considering letting them get a free elemental attack shift if they can justify it (Having sea drakes automatically breath fire just doesn't make a lot of sense considering they're meant to operate IN an ocean, of course they'd really need a convincing story for lightning but that's more a balance thing).

Don't get me started on the wanted quality and the assumption that every drake is well known enough there's a huge bounty on their head and regular problems because of it. Do they need to keep what they are hidden sure but I just feel something as bad as wanted should be earned in game such as by regular shifting in your drake form not automatically assigned for something your paying this much positive karma to get.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-24-16/1603:06> »
Lets see....

Powers while shifted into drake form that ALL drakes get:

Dual Natured
Elemental attack
Hardened armor2
Hardened mystical armor2
Vestigial wings* (not so for Sea drakes)
Natural weapon attack
Increases to stats. (5 points total)

That's a hefty list of abilities for only 75 karma....

In fact, Assuming starting attributes of 3, and say, a Western Drake: that is:
45 karma for the body boost.
45 karma for the Strength boost.
20 Karma for the Charisma boost
110 Karma total for only paying 75 karma for being a drake....
which still doesn't cover the 6 other abilities that drakes get... (How much of a karma advantage IS hardened armor??? So we go by the karma costs in the Howling shadows book.)

Dual Natured has no cost to it to compare... and some people like to say that its a detriment to have... so lets just call it 0 Karma.
5 Karma for a natural Weapon attack
15 karma for Elemental attack
16 karma for Natural (hardened) armor
16 Karma for Mystic (Hardened) armor
Vestigial wings I couldn't find anything on, but the closest thing to it is an Adept power Freefall at 0.25 PP....

So they gain in essence an other 52 Karma and 0.25 Power Points worth of abilities..

All said, that is 162 Karma of abilities and 0.25 Power Points for 75 karma and the limit of only being able to use those abilities while shifted for magic Rating X2 rounds. (combat turns.) before they take 2s damage per turn...

All for the Free Wanted quality to be hunted by Great dragons and slice happy corporations...

Now lets look at the Wanted quality from Run Faster:
page 159 Run Faster
WANTED
BONUS: 10 KARMA
It feels so good to be wanted, or maybe not. Though
most runners are probably wanted for questioning in a
few cases, this is something different. When the character
takes this quality, they work out why they have a
bounty or contract on their head. The bounty should
be worth at least 25,000 nuyen, enough to tempt even
one’s own “friends.” The character should have to frequently
deal with someone coming for them or finding
out about the bounty and using it against them.
If for some reason the bounty ever goes away, like
the character is turned in or they clear their name, the
quality must be bought off with Karma.

So, for 75 Karma and a 10 karma permanent quality, you get 162 karma+ of abilities.... And you want to make that an "always on if chosen so" ability???

Why WOULDN'T I make a drake in your game??
And that's not even touching on the fact that there are other unique abilities to be picked up if the player so chooses to with karma.

No, in my opinion, Drakes are too overpowered for what you get and what you have to deal with..... But that is only my opinion. Especially if coupled with the mage or Adept template where your magic rating is 6 starting... that's 12 combat turns (NOT initiative passes!) of hardened armor, buffed up stats (that can exceed your base race stats), elemental attack, natural weapon, and hardened astral armor.... Yea, MORE then worth it...

And thus, I will probably ban them from my table (along with infected, which are already banned for different reasons)
« Last Edit: <10-24-16/1605:25> by Reaver »

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #10 on: <10-24-16/2015:38> »
So, for 75 Karma and a 10 karma permanent quality, you get 162 karma+ of abilities.... And you want to make that an "always on if chosen so" ability???

I'm guessing you missed the part where I trivialized the need for dracoform mastery; demonstrating how it's stupid add-on at best and an Idiot Tax at worst.
C'est la vie.

No, in my opinion, Drakes are too overpowered for what you get and what you have to deal with..... But that is only my opinion. Especially if coupled with the mage or Adept template where your magic rating is 6 starting... that's 12 combat turns (NOT initiative passes!) of hardened armor, buffed up stats (that can exceed your base race stats), elemental attack, natural weapon, and hardened astral armor.... Yea, MORE then worth it...

Actually, it says "Rounds"; not "Initiative Pass" nor "Combat Turn". Hurray for ambiguous rules text!

In my opinion, I think you grossly overstate how "overpowered" drakes are in practice.
First, the stat boosts are only in Drake-Form, and do NOT push beyond augmented metahuman maximums.

Attributes are added to a character’s standard attributes and can exceed their metatype maximum while in dracoform.
Zero mention of "augmented maximum", so I can only assume this refers to the BASE, UN-AUGMENTED metahuman maximum; making the boosts no better than those from cyberware, bioware, drugs or magical boosts.

While I'm the subject of Dracoform attribute bonuses, I want to put this into perspective: Plain Kamikaze, a mundane street-available drug provides just as much of a stat boost as that "OP drake power" (+5) and under RAW, works longer without penalty EVEN WITH THE WORST POSSIBLE ROLL (10 minutes). The only benefit the drake gets over the drug is it can switch off to avoid the penalty, but I want to reiterate that regular STREET PUNKS can get hooked up with this kind of power, and for FAR LESS than 75-145 Karma.

Again, I maintain if combat exceeds 11 "rounds" (that's me being generous and assuming it's Combat Turns) let alone TEN MINUTES, you've done goofed.

Second, with the exception of Underwater Adaptation and Vestigial Wings the default drake powers are entirely combat-focused, making drake-form worthless outside of combat or pure RP scenarios.
Combat characters are normally the realm of 'ware, but you can't stack 'ware of any kind with drake powers; RAW says all that stuff turns off as soon as you turn on the drake.

Nor is the drake boost superior to regular ware', as it tops out at +2 to any one attribute. I can easily create Standard Runners sporting 'ware in excess of +5 to attributes at character creation and unlike Drakes, I can focus those boosts where I actually want them.

Any opportunities for 'ware upgrades will only further widen the gap, since drake-form attribute boosts are static and cannot be improved by any means.
I'll just state right here that the best drake powers are those you buy as options after paying off the initial investment (Critter powers and Flight mainly); stuff that is actually difficult or impossible to replicate easily with gear/'ware.

Third, while you could install 'ware for non-drake builds, by doing so you're paying essence and degrading the karma investment you already made for your awakened + drake powers. (and if you DIDN'T choose an awakened role with a solid magic score...woe is you, for reasons I already described). Between that and the fact that ware switches off when in drake form, regular Street Sam builds are out of the running for all practical purposes.

So how about Decker drakes? Rigger drakes? Face drakes?
Congrats, you paid 75-145 karma for a wad of combat stats/powers you largely won't use in your realm of expertise, instead of spending that karma on actually being good at what you do.

(Face Drakes are doubly boned, as they need Transcend Form to use any of their powers without changing. Call me crazy, but methinks face-to-snout negotiations is a great way of outing yourself as a drake and building heat on your head. Unfortunately, Transcend Form sucks rocks because you have to resist physical drain EVERY SINGLE TIME you want to get use a drake power without shifting. At that point, why not just play a regular spellcaster or adept instead?)

Adept/Mage/Mystic-Adept Drakes fare much better due to better build congruence, but I weep at what I could be spending 75+ Karma instead: Learning rituals, spells, bonding Foci, Initiation and boosting your MAG attribute.
(fun fact, you could self-initiate a minimum of four times for the LOWEST price of being a drake. Or initiate twice and upgrade MAG 6->7.)

So all those karma "savings" you banged on about? Unimpressive in practical context.
In fact, I'd be so bold to say that outside of the Adept or the almighty Mystic Adept, drakes are a strictly inferior option to non-drakes.

So to answer your challenge...
Why WOULDN'T I make a drake in your game??
...It's because being a drake is HILARIOUSLY inefficient for the majority of roles in the game even if it's karma efficient on paper.

And all of this assumes the GM is being generous, lazy, or an idiot and completely ignoring the Sword of Damocles hanging over every free drake's head in that little Wanted quality.

I'm not saying Drakes can't become very powerful characters; they can and in unique ways to other characters, but only after they've sunk literal dozens (if not hundreds) of karma into improvements.
It's heavily back-loaded power, and hardly a "Why should I take any other option" scenario, even by SR5's wonky RAW rules.

And thus, I will probably ban them from my table (along with infected, which are already banned for different reasons)
That's your prerogative.
If your GM is stupid enough to ignore the fact that a runner is being hunted by GREAT DRAGONS as soon as they stick their little drake-y snout out into the world, then by all means, take advantage of their foolishness.

I allow drakes at my table so long as the player understands that I do not fuck around with the consequences of being one.

Getting outed as a drake at my table entails:
-Bounty hunters looking for a fat 5 figure (minimum) paycheck.
-Agents of great dragons (including other, more powerful drakes) aiming to kidnap you.
-Dragon-slayers trying to kill you purely on principle.

There's also the one encounter I have no direct control over: Your fellow runners.
They might see you as an easy payday or way out of a bad situation, especially if their drake runner is the one getting the rest of them into that situation with all that aforementioned heat on the drake's head.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-24-16/2320:56> »
You seem to be missing the point on the attributes.

If you are a human with a body of 6 (10). Thanks to your drake blood, your NEW stats while in drake form are now 8 (12). Because it has increased your metatype max, which means your base has gone up, thus affecting your augmented max, that is the way I read it.

and yes it says rounds... a single initiative pass has never been a round... but you are right it needs more clarification

Drakes are a MAGICAL race, much like many other "special" metatypes (like pixies) yes you can put cyber into them, but that is not the optimal build for any awakened race and usually costs you. Drake adepts are just as easy to boost with magic as adepts, and you don't need ware to boost an adept *8although many take that short cut and long term hampering for the short term boost, usually because their games don't last long enough to get to that "special" place they want to be at)

In the end, the errata team will answer these questions when they get to the book.... and we'll see then whose reading is more correct.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #12 on: <10-25-16/0002:05> »
In the end, the errata team will answer these questions when they get to the book.... and we'll see then whose reading is more correct.

Indeed. It's not my job to do errata, but in places where it's messy, ambiguous or just plain head scratching, I must provide a solution if it reaches my table...and in this case, it has.
My game currently has two drakes (a runner and an NPC "mentor" of sorts), and these sorts of issues have come up.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <10-25-16/0321:33> »
Just thought I'd say I'm still paying attention to this but as its shifted from my original question about how an ability worked to a discussion of whether or not Drake's are overpowered I don't have enough (any) experience playing them to venture an opinion either way. Although I do find these lines in the section of latent dracomorphosis interesting

"If the player wishes to Awaken they should decide whether to become an adept, aspected magician, magician or mystic adept. The cost of this selection is included in the karma cost of this quality."

"some rewards should be phased in - such as one bonus attribute point for every 10 karma paid, or one dracoform power for each 5 karma paid."

So it seems they aren't as highly valued by the developers as you'd think only costing 5 karma per base dracoform power AFTER character creation.
« Last Edit: <10-25-16/0330:00> by Senko »

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #14 on: <10-25-16/2229:32> »
If your GM is stupid enough to ignore the fact that a runner is being hunted by GREAT DRAGONS as soon as they stick their little drake-y snout out into the world, then by all means, take advantage of their foolishness.

I allow drakes at my table so long as the player understands that I do not fuck around with the consequences of being one.

Getting outed as a drake at my table entails:
-Bounty hunters looking for a fat 5 figure (minimum) paycheck.
-Agents of great dragons (including other, more powerful drakes) aiming to kidnap you.
-Dragon-slayers trying to kill you purely on principle.

There's also the one encounter I have no direct control over: Your fellow runners.
They might see you as an easy payday or way out of a bad situation, especially if their drake runner is the one getting the rest of them into that situation with all that aforementioned heat on the drake's head.

Thank you for this statement! I've had a drake at my table (granted it was third ed, so different rules) and this was the ultimate balancing factor for them. The guy kept his head low for the most part, but he went drake to bust through a tough corp-sec line, and the call for "backup to deal with some crazy runners" turned to "GREAT GHOST WE GOT A FRAGING DRAGON GET THE FRAGING RED SAMURAI DOWN HERE RIGHT FRAGING NOW THIS IS NOT A FRAGING ILLUSION!!!!!!!!!!!" Then they had to hide for a month in the shamans powerful but far to small for comfort lodge to avoid tracking rituals.

Drakes have always been to me to be far more of a role-play thing then something you get a lot of power out of. With the expanded drake powers you can get some cool critter abilities now, but unless you focus on magic you'll fall further behind the team in terms of power just because of your drake investment; and most of those abilities are only useful if you out yourself for what you are. Even without the Wanted flaw going full form dragon should have the GM hitting you back with any number of different groups trying to find out more about you, or possibly even have a "talk", if you make it past the sudden escalation in force response.

Also, it seems like the cost of being a drake has skyrocketed from the earlier editions, while the bonuses you get from it, other then the optional power list, has gone down. Even the stat boosts are less the before.