NEWS

Halloween Run

• 11 Replies

Syllabea

• Newb
« on: <10-19-16/1630:41> »
This week, my players want a Halloween run since half the group will be gone the week of. I have an idea, but i'm looking for input from other DMs to make it better, look for holes, etc.

The run will start out with the party street doc (Who's insane) calling one of the party who owes him a favor. He'll summon the party member to his 'clinic' and tell them that one of his suppliers has gone dark and that he wants to find out what happened. He hands the party some coordinates, which end up being a business park towards some outskirts of Seattle.

The location ends up being one of many unmarked buildings, the largest on in fact, and the entire area looks like it's been recently deserted for reasons unknown. The door to the target building is locked with a simple Rating 3 lock. Nothing too special here. As they walk in, the Rigger discovers that the walls of the building are laced with copper mesh my Riggers worst enemy. Simultaneously the two magicians discover an Astral Barrier, and a particularly strong one at that (Probably F8-10). They probably won't be able to sneak through, but forcing their way through won't be a problem as the one making the barrier won't care or won't want to stop them. As the door closes, it automatically locks behind them and it cannot be picked as the electronic lock jams and the all-metal door becomes lethally electrified. It seems as if they've triggered some sort of security measure.

They walk into a lobby and after some looking around at the ransacked-looking mess a man comes in from a side door. With a successful Perception(3) test they notice that he's got a little bit of a twitch in his shoulders, and a Perception(5) success reveals that his eyes are vaguely hexagonal around the edges. The man himself is a Wasp Spirit, the very same one who triggered the aforementioned security measure, who will attack if threatened, or backstab one of them if they leave him alone; They are intelligent after all.

After leaving the lobby, they trigger a loud alarm unless they see the hidden metal detectors (Perception(4)) along the inside of the doors which triggers an ambush of 4-6 HMHVV-infected employees. After the fight, they discover some still-running computers with the keyboards destroyed and curiously missing a Universal Port. These stations will be all along the facility, each one with a typed-out message from one of the employees that reveal more of what's going on.

In a nutshell, here's what's happened and what they discover: This building is an EVO Corporation research building. Roundabout four years ago they picked up a girl working the streets in ganger territory and brought here for testing. They discovered her after one of their employees contracted HMHVV from her while she herself wasn't showing any symptoms. Having concluded that she's a carrier, EVO brought her in for genetic work to find out how she's immune to it in hopes of creating a sort of vaccine. They eventually discovered that she had a vast potential for magic, specifically summoning. They discover that she doesn't have any direct control over her powers, and that she uses it with emotions. They test this theory by giving her differing amounts of different drugs, and the spirits she summons correlate with her emotional state such as summoning a warm, golden glow when under the effects of Heroin, or a rabid dog when affected by Kamikaze. At some point recently, about when the facility went dark, she had an extremely bad episode with a combination of sexual and non-sexual abuse at the hands of some of the scientists and powerful hallucinagenic drugs that propelled her into a downwards spiral of paranoia and fear. Turns out she's deathly afraid of insects, and the new recruit wasn't told that she was a carrier of HMHVV.

As the group make their way downwards in this facility, which seems to be much deeper and expansive than initially thought, they are continuously ambushed by Vampires and Wasps alike, but only one or two at a time and only from dark corners and other hiding spots. Through some one-way observation glass, they can see a very large group of Insects, Vampires, and unholy combinations of the two trapped inside of some rooms. These particular ones take no notice or care of the party until later. They eventually make their way to a locked security door to the girl's testing chambers, which i'll probably have locked with a password of some sort that the party will have to piece together. As the door opens, a very loud siren sounds and the party must sprint their way down a very wide 100 meter hallway chased by the large groups they saw earlier. There are way too many for the party to take on, and the only way out is through the hallway (Which i might have flooded with nerve agent or something of the like).

They eventually find this girl, cowering in the corner of her barren room, swarmed by locusts, wasps, and mosquitoes. The mages recognize that her astral signature is the same as the barrier on the outside, and they also recognize that inside the room are many other spirits of the same type, trying to break through her own personal barrier to take possession of her body. The doors are locked shut, and any attempts at opening them will be met with extreme force by the Wasp queen inside. There's only one way out: They have to flood the room with a lethal gas and kill her along with any insects inside. Without her extreme power to keep the spirits inside her room sustained, they dissipate within a few seconds of her death.

LordGrizzle

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <10-19-16/1643:46> »
I personally would amp up the spook a little bit. I mean, come on it's a powerful girl in a facility. If you've played the original F.E.A.R. you know what I am talking about. If not: it's about a powerful psychic girl that stalks you ghastly in between combat encounters.

I also don't like the idea of the climax having pretty much only one outcome. I would think having the options of: Walking away, killing the girl or saving her; would be very nice. Saving her should of course be the most difficult.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-19-16/1648:12> »
I personally would amp up the spook a little bit. I mean, come on it's a powerful girl in a facility. If you've played the original F.E.A.R. you know what I am talking about. If not: it's about a powerful psychic girl that stalks you ghastly in between combat encounters.

I also don't like the idea of the climax having pretty much only one outcome. I would think having the options of: Walking away, killing the girl or saving her; would be very nice. Saving her should of course be the most difficult.

I agree. Something like having the players hear her voice periodically.

"Help! Won't someone help me?!"

"No, get away!" *cough* "Get away!"

"What's happening?" *frantic crying* "What's happening?!"

Stuff like that.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-19-16/1705:17> »
For atmosphere, turn down the lights and play this on an endless loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv4w2fcV70Y

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Syllabea

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-19-16/1706:45> »
I could do that. The problem is that she isn't a psychic. I could put in a few more options for the end, though. If they want to fight a Wasp Queen whilst being beset by insects they could try to free her or something. I could have it so that the mages all see the same astral signature as the barrier to the outside of the facility, that might be kinda spooky. Or some of the humans the spirits inhabit could have some modicum of control over themselves and ask to be killed or something. I'll think about it.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-19-16/1715:40> »
Well, she could also be using a form of the Broadcast spell, or she just has an intercom button nearby.

This is also good for ambient creep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob4ifM-keJA

LordGrizzle

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <10-19-16/1718:09> »
I could do that. The problem is that she isn't a psychic. I could put in a few more options for the end, though. If they want to fight a Wasp Queen whilst being beset by insects they could try to free her or something. I could have it so that the mages all see the same astral signature as the barrier to the outside of the facility, that might be kinda spooky. Or some of the humans the spirits inhabit could have some modicum of control over themselves and ask to be killed or something. I'll think about it.

But she's magical. That means she can project and manifest. That would actually be really damn close to how Alma was portrayed in F.E.A.R. or she just manifests only her voice / thoughts.

Syllabea

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <10-19-16/1724:01> »
Perhaps they'll catch glimpses of her spectral form running from doorway to doorway and the like, both making them all on edge because someone or something is close by and letting them know (with a very high perception check) that the girl is still alive. Or they'll all have to make Composure checks to keep from gaining the temporary ill effects of Phobia (with each failure adding to the severity of the phobia of insects). I'll try and avoid jump scares if i can, but perhaps the faint sounds of panicking and screaming coming from the way towards her chambers could serve as a guide.

Also, i will be using that for the background. Thanks ^^
« Last Edit: <10-19-16/1732:15> by Syllabea »

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-19-16/1742:42> »
Don't forget the screams of the probably feral and very hungry vampires.

Note: I help run haunted houses this time of year. Atmosphere is everything!

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #9 on: <10-24-16/1525:08> »
Sounds like you want the creep factor of the of the original b&w "Psycho". So how do you do that? Background music goes a long way, as does having some lights on the table that can flicker or flash under your control, for "dramatic" reasons only, of course. ;-> As for using music, you might consider having a "travel" theme, for when they are moving down corridors, etc. Then have 2-4 themes for rooms, when they are relatively still. Also be aware that people react differently to music, so you might have a player (or more) get overwhelmed and really uncomfortable. And a good sound byte board (app, program, whatever) can really help, as long as you know where the effect you want is and can use it timely.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Syllabea

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <10-24-16/1548:38> »
The run was a great success. The party was prepared enough to not get jumped by Vampires (As 3/5 of the players have less than one Essence), and our Summoner was an all-star with his skills in Banishing. The party fought within themselves for about an hour before a decision was made (And by 'decision' i mean 'I'm going to shoot the containment chamber open, try and stop me'). They got to fight a Force6 Wasp Queen when only 2 of them could harm it. It was almost a TPK at two points of the run, and everyone was on edge.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #11 on: <10-24-16/1711:00> »
Cool. Good job, because it sounds like everyone enjoyed it.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?