NEWS

[SR5] questions about the protection of the files

• 4 Replies

marfish

• Newb
« on: <02-01-18/0202:41> »
Most of what you keep on your commlink are files, this includes music, your SIN (fake or otherwise), licenses (also fake or otherwise), maps, email messages, your contact book, AROs, and so on. These files are visible to people who can see your commlink in the Matrix, so most people keep all of their files in a protected folder.

So, what is this "protected folder"? Would I have it automatically when I buy the commlink? Or should I <Edit File> for each of them in order to have the protection?

What is the "visible" means? Let's say I have a unprotected un-silent mapsoft, would others just see the icon? Or would them have access to my mapsoft?

What happen if I somehow protect(Edit File or "protected folder") my un-silent mapsoft, would others still automatically spot/have acess to it? Or it would be classified as protected files? (so, not knowing its icon and/or not having acess to it)

Now, I successfully protect my mapsoft and it's running slients as other hundreds of mapsoft. It that any benefits to hack my commlink first instead of trial and error, go through all of them without hacking my commlinks?

:-\ I found the details in shadowrun could be quite a struggle, if you pay attention to it.

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <02-01-18/0345:07> »
 it is not unreasonable to assume a "protected" folder would exist on a commlink as standard feature. Much like how a current computer has password and other protections for the user and admin access. Now it may not be terribly good protection. How much do you trust the anti virus/user protection of a stock OS fresh out of the box?

Mechanically i would say "stock" protection= 1/2 device rating round up. Most of the time your probably better of setting your own protections.

As too visibility i would say everything is visible as a default, you need set what is hidden and not. Just like you can have hidden files in an otherwise shared folder on a network today. Visibility however is not the same as access/use rights. Think of it like an app on a smart phone, you can find other users of your app, for communication and data sharing, even interactive elements, but you cant use there app directly.

A protected app/file could still be seen. "Hey that guy uses brand X mapsoft. Secured to hell thou. Couldn't misdirect him if i wanted too."

Something protected and hidden among multiple identically hidden/protected copies is effectively untouchable if your targeting the file directly. At that point its far simpler to seize control of the device with the file and make it upchuck the correct app/file via spoof command.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-01-18/1128:35> »
Per the Crack File matrix action described on page 238, "File Protection" is absolutely a thing.

But since the Core Rulebook (and near as I can tell, the Matrix expansion book Data Trails) never give rules or mechanics for actually setting File Protection values, I suspect creating File Protection is something outside the bounds of PC activities (like creating their own SINs, forging Nuyen, creating their own Hosts, etc)

If a PC wants to protect his files from having done to him what he does to the Corps... Data Bombs are the "file security" that we have rules for creating :)  And of course the team's Decker is supposed to be defending the team from wireless shenanigans anyway...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-01-18/1146:41> »
Per the Crack File matrix action described on page 238, "File Protection" is absolutely a thing.

But since the Core Rulebook (and near as I can tell, the Matrix expansion book Data Trails) never give rules or mechanics for actually setting File Protection values, I suspect creating File Protection is something outside the bounds of PC activities (like creating their own SINs, forging Nuyen, creating their own Hosts, etc)

If a PC wants to protect his files from having done to him what he does to the Corps... Data Bombs are the "file security" that we have rules for creating :)  And of course the team's Decker is supposed to be defending the team from wireless shenanigans anyway...

You protect a file with the Edit File action (SR5 p.239), a Computer + Logic [Data P] Test. The number of hits on this test is the rating of the protection.
Removing file protection uses the Crack File action (SR5 p.238), a Hacking + Logic [Attack] vs. Protection Rating x2 Opposed Test.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-01-18/1453:39> »

You protect a file with the Edit File action (SR5 p.239), a Computer + Logic [Data P] Test. The number of hits on this test is the rating of the protection.
Removing file protection uses the Crack File action (SR5 p.238), a Hacking + Logic [Attack] vs. Protection Rating x2 Opposed Test.

Ah nice catch, I never saw where they gave rules for actually creating file protection.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.