NEWS

The start of the Matrix?

• 16 Replies

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #1 on: <02-04-13/1943:00> »
I seem to recall something that happened in Seattle a few years back similar to this proposal, still Microsoft and Google are behind this one (Which means they have money to make), but they're big enough to help push against our current cut throat interweb dictators (Verizon, Charter, AT&T, and others). Still, if this goes over, and I hope it does, I might have reason to finally get a phone.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-04-13/2023:16> »
Remember that Google has money to make any time you're talking about expanding internet access, because of how much of their revenues are ad-based.

Plus, it means mobile connectivity for Google Glass and similar (Microsoft's got some pretty awesome projects from their research labs that could benefit a lot from this, too) does not require the hardware for cellular connectivity.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <02-04-13/2033:15> »
They'll still figure a way to rip into Canadians for insane fees.   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-04-13/2038:14> »

Nah, we'll just continue to get screwed because the CRTC will continue to decide that protecting the ability of the few Canadian telecoms to screw the nation over is more important than protecting or benefiting consumers.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <02-04-13/2133:59> »
Nah, we'll just continue to get screwed because the CRTC will continue to decide that protecting the ability of the few Canadian telecoms to screw the nation over is more important than protecting or benefiting consumers.
And people wonder how I can write Cyberpunk...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

I_V_Saur

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <02-04-13/2316:08> »
Canadian here. I'm still waiting for internet to be cheaper to buy through a company, than to buy a hard drive filled with the data, and have it mailed over every month.

Thank Tim Horton's for free Wifi, and idiots for using out-dated sec.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #7 on: <02-05-13/2044:58> »
Heh heh, is it a Cafe' up the street?

I_V_Saur

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <02-06-13/1812:27> »
Tim Hortons is Canadian Starbucks - one at basically every corner. If it doesn't have one in it, it isn't a village or hick town, never mind city. It's not a mall if there isn't one in it, or near it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <02-06-13/1954:08> »
Tim Hortons is Canadian Starbucks - one at basically every corner. If it doesn't have one in it, it isn't a village or hick town, never mind city. It's not a mall if there isn't one in it, or near it.
Unless you're in Winnipeg, where it can be hard to find one.

And I'm jonesing bad!!!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #10 on: <02-07-13/2117:35> »
Don't you guys have normal coffee houses? I mean, Tsarbuks is fine, but they do engage in some pretty dirty business tactics to get the monopoly.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-07-13/2119:25> »
Don't you guys have normal coffee houses? I mean, Tsarbuks is fine, but they do engage in some pretty dirty business tactics to get the monopoly.

There's some - Second Cup, I think, is uniquely Canadian.  And even Starbucks doesn't match the ubiquity of Timmy's - when our military got out of Afghanistan, the Americans bought up the Timmy's franchise on the base because they didn't want to lose out on that coffee.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <02-08-13/0004:56> »
Real annoyance with Timmies in The Sandbox.  My FLGS is a hangout for vets, and they wanted to send some coupons to serving friends who were overseas.

The gift cards Timmies uses aren't useable in their "Detached" units (usually only used for construction), guess what they had in Afghanistan.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #13 on: <02-08-13/0314:40> »
If I guess starbucks would I be right?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-08-13/0318:00> »
If I guess starbucks would I be right?
Might be.  From what I hear, though, the "Detached unit" Timmies over there seems to have been more popular.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites