NEWS

Smite

• 58 Replies

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« on: <06-14-12/2317:44> »
Is it me or does it get irritating when your smited and you don't know why.

Didnt mind when I knew why, but completely random smites, kinda irritating.

Unless I am being a Jerk and just dont realise it... ???
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <06-15-12/0004:59> »
This is not a new feeling.  A quick glance down the page will show several threads expressing similar concerns, and admin/moderator responses to them (in short, mucking around with the reputation code may screw up the whole forum, so we're all just sucking it up and soldiering on).

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-15-12/0944:50> »
If it irritates you, maybe you're putting too much emphasis on it. Think about this:

It's a message board for a game.
People will dislike you for whatever reason they can come up with.
It's a message board for a game.

What is the consiquence of a random stranger not liking what you said on a game's message board?

Me personally? Don't care. It's as important to me as post count is.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

VuuduuHedd

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-15-12/1125:27> »
I can't help but think of Just_a_Dude. Someone smote him so bad he had to change his little blurb beneath his avatar picture to explain why.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #4 on: <06-15-12/1208:56> »
If the rep system of a forum on the internet has that big an effect on you, you need to get a thicker skin. This is the internet. Sometimes it is pointlessly cruel. Changing that is like trying to change gravity.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-15-12/2241:04> »
Yeah, I know.  Toughen up sunshine.

Was kinda hoping the person who smited me would actually tell me and why.  Its ok if I know why, sometimes discussions get heated and people smite.  Its when you have no idea what they hell you said that irritated someone and you go huh?

Anyway... such is life.
Perception molds reality

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #6 on: <06-28-12/1755:13> »
Right.
So anyway, this isn't worth a new thread so I'll just hijack this one since it seems a bit finished.

Could the person who more than doubled my Negative Rep the past two days just please tell me why?

All but one of the topics I've been discussing in have been quite friendly and in the one where it -might- have been possible, I've asked and been answered that they weren't doing it...

I understand that changing the Rep system isn't really an option and don't actually think that removing it would be good, it does have its merits, or could have if people knew how to behave civilized I guess.
Can Mods see a smite log? If so, I understand that they can't tell others where they're coming from, but could they maybe check with smite-spammers what their problem is all about? Or maybe tell them that if the annoyance is so bad that it's worth spending hours waiting for spam-lag to pass, that there's a "Report to moderator" button that might be better suited? 
« Last Edit: <06-28-12/1757:46> by Xzylvador »

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-28-12/1800:37> »
Enjoy the thread Xy.  I, personally, have no idea why your being smites.  This seems a recent event.  I've been picking up about 5 a day in the last week and I'm lost to why?

Is anyone else getting a ton of smites in the last week?
Perception molds reality

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #8 on: <06-28-12/2025:59> »
Enjoy the thread Xy.  I, personally, have no idea why your being smites.  This seems a recent event.  I've been picking up about 5 a day in the last week and I'm lost to why?

Ayup.

Nothing new on my side, but I'm pretty I know who and why... it's at least partially a case of certain board-members, who shall remain nameless in case I'm wrong, just deciding they don't like someone and smiting people every time they see their name, regardless of if there's any new "offense" or not.

For me it's also a case of momentum. People see I already have a "bad" rep, so they're less likely to Applaud and more likely to Smite,  making it worse.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <06-28-12/2059:49> »
The internet is a cruel mistress, flighty in both favor and fury.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #10 on: <06-29-12/0028:14> »
The internet is a cruel mistress, flighty in both favor and fury.
Arr, ye think th' Sea is a harsh Mistress until you take a ride with software pirates on th CRIMSON BINOME!!!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #11 on: <06-29-12/0219:39> »

Yeah, it just happens sometimes.  Someone -- often a newer user, I suspect, or someone newly active at any rate -- occasionally gets a bug up their butt and smites the holy bejeebus outta everyone they see, often (seemingly) at every chance they get.

It comes and goes in waves. 

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #12 on: <06-29-12/1240:44> »
@Xzy/Black/etc..: Id say - Idiots. But no matter what they do, they will die one day, when their time comes. And so there is a chance the world will be better place sometimes... :-\

Operator

• Omae
  • We own the night!
« Reply #13 on: <06-30-12/1152:16> »
There's no real accountability with smiting. It should not be mistaken for a substantiated reflection of one's forum standing.
Since I plan on spending a bit more time on these forums, I'll get my turn at the smite monkeys' doorknob too.
« Last Edit: <06-30-12/1203:21> by Operator »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #14 on: <06-30-12/1217:10> »
Welcome back ;)