NEWS

quick question on splitting dice pool

• 21 Replies

flatlyne2001

• Newb
« on: <09-16-10/1759:07> »
My char wields dual pistols at times, my question is would you add your dice for smartlink before or after splitting?

Sonarean

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-16-10/1804:21> »
Pg 150 of SR4 anniversary edition states:

"Two-gun attacks also negate any dice pool bonuses from smartlinks or laser sights"

So you don't get the smartlinking bonus at all.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <09-16-10/1806:50> »
As a GM, I might allow the bonus to apply once if you're focusing all attacks on a single target. You may have two guns, but your two eyes are hardcoded to focus on a single target.

Of course, that brings up cybereyes/SURGE Lizard eyes/Adept powers that allow you to see through, control and interpret each eye individually... Hmm... ;)

Okay... Maybe it's good that the RAW say "No". ;D

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-16-10/1813:17> »
In general, dice pool modifiers apply after splitting. For example, if you have a tacnet with +3 bonus, it will add to both attacks, and if you're firing blind, it's -6 to both attacks. There are a few specific exceptions: As noted above, you lose smartgun/laser bonuses entirely, and some mods like Multi-Strike apply before splitting.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-17-10/0337:30> »
Actually, you can apply the smartlink when wielding two guns, but not by making two shot in the same action (so not when you split your dice pool).
Example : you have two ruger S.warhawk. One is affiliated to the smartlink, the other not at this time.
- Simple action : you shot with the first ruger, you can aply the smartlink
- Automatic action : you switch the affilieted ruger from the first to the secondth
- Simple action : you shot with the secondth ruger, you can apply the smartlink (but the off hand modifier too)
« Last Edit: <09-17-10/0341:26> by anotherJack »
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-17-10/0356:27> »
By RAW the first response is correct. Anything else does not seem to be supported by 4Ea and thus may be considered a house ruling. I do not mean to step on any toes if you have additional information that refutes this then please post so we may know the rules better

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <09-17-10/0404:36> »
Actually, you can apply the smartlink when wielding two guns, but not by making two shot in the same action (so not when you split your dice pool).
Example : you have two ruger S.warhawk. One is affiliated to the smartlink, the other not at this time.
- Automatic action : you switch the affilieted ruger from the first to the secondth
- Simple action : you shot with the secondth ruger, you can apply the smartlink (but the off hand modifier too)

Whilst you are correct that isnt the answer to the question at hand.

When dealing with firing two guns At the same time you lose your smartlink bonus.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-17-10/0417:03> »
Yep, I just wanted to make a precision about "smartlink not applying when you use two weapons". It too easily could be misinterpreted.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

flatlyne2001

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <09-17-10/1126:35> »
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Since I'm using both Ambi quality and cybereyes, maybe I'll work with my GM on a house rule for this.

I mean granted going from 19dice down to 17 wouldn't be worst thing in the world but when you have a PhysAdept in your group using 23'ish dice for each attack you need all the dice you can due to monster toughness creep.

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <09-17-10/1200:52> »
As I understand it, Smartlinks do not apply to firing two-handed.

Ambidextrous eliminates the -2 off-hand penalty you get when you shoot with two guns.

As for what kind of attacks you can do while dual-wielding pistols, that is a whole different story.

What the rules say and what people want to do sometimes differ.
I thought what I'd do is; I would pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-17-10/1205:08> »
Personally, I think firing two Ruger Warhawks (each one only once, but with Smartlink bonus and with no recoil problem for both shots) is quite stylish for an ambidextrous character :-)
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-17-10/1205:31> »
Only if your firing both guns at the same time, if you shoot only one of them at a time smartlink applies.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <09-17-10/1208:09> »

TO me, that is a way to get around the RAW.  Making an attack on one target with two guns is firing two guns.  That should go under the rule in the book.  Different strokes but yeah.  Not well explained to be sure....  :)

And as I understand the rules, you always split the dice poll when using two guns.  It is not the most well explained rule I have to say.

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <09-17-10/1212:49> »
Only if your firing both guns at the same time, if you shoot only one of them at a time smartlink applies.

If you want to shoot one at a time, lose a gun.  That is how I run it.  By RAW, it says two guns means split dice pool and no smartlink.  I may have a different interpretation of this however, it is not very well explained.   I just think that you shouldn't be able to get around the rule by shooting "one at a time".  If you are shooting both guns in the same IP then you use the rules under Using A Second Firearm in the book.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-17-10/1226:34> »
Nope, the rules under "Using A Second Firearms" are used when you are firing TWO guns with ONE simple action and not when firing TWO guns with TWO simple actions. Two guns, one action -> Split pool, no smartlink. Two guns, two actions -> Combat as usual. Would be kind of strange to split the pool for firing two guns in two actions when firing one gun twice in two actions doesn't split the pool :-)
« Last Edit: <09-17-10/1228:05> by Irian »
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)