NEWS

Safe houses

• 91 Replies

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #30 on: <01-31-11/1830:42> »
First...stripper does not equate to hooker.
Just trying to lump all the, tempting, and talkative entertainers in all at once sir, didn't mean to offend.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <01-31-11/2127:51> »
@ Teyl_Iliar

No offense taken.  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Damnyankee

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <01-31-11/2241:02> »
Yeah it was bad.  but the player was playing his character...
the autopilot thing reminded me of a guy who had a bus as his house/hideout.  it was a normal bus with the "out of service" sign... went everywhere no one thought twice about it.  Big too.  lots of room for stuff.

Damnyankee

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <02-01-11/1720:19> »
As a GM...I am willing to cut players a lot of slack if they are rp'ing their character.  ;D

Hook into grid guide and you got yourself a moving target. A city bus would be a bit bigger than I would personally need. Something along the lines of a U-Haul truck would be more than sufficient for my meager needs.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #34 on: <02-01-11/2235:39> »
A valid point. But then again it's kind of specific. What makes it any better than the barrens? or some equally desolate place? Also, I have a feeling that not everyone is willing to stay in the sewers. What about other options? Of course it's true that a warehouse can be a good place to hold up, but it's a big space... how would you secure it? Any ideas?
Well, the warehouse is an obvious way to go. But that works better as a Team Meeting type of place. What I was think of is just a shipping container. Great camouflage and big enough to crash and stockpile necessities.

BEST IDEA I'VE EVER SEEN!
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <02-01-11/2354:53> »
So... anyone have any other methods not yet shared? I'm sure there are a few people out there with other ideas.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #36 on: <02-02-11/0403:47> »
A zeppelin-safehouse! That would be totally awesome. :)
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <02-02-11/0440:07> »
that could totally work, slap a sun cell on it, with enough cargo room you could keep a whole team out of sight for a week or 2. seems like it might be vulnerable to attack if picked out though... solutions?
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #38 on: <02-02-11/1058:55> »
Speaking as someone who is in the construction business, in the management/engineering sector...

I have never understood these folks designing long term buildings and structures using cargo shipping containers. The containers are constructed of the absolute lowest quality crap steel, and simply are not designed to last. If you scrape off the multiple layers of paint on any container more than a few months old, you'll often see a wall of rust. Usually they're only good for maybe a half dozen trips across the ocean before they're broken down for scrap.

-k

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <02-02-11/1818:06> »
"Burn Notice" likes to use abandoned construction sites and unoccupied homes for safe houses. They also use the hero's childhood home a lot. :)

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <02-02-11/1928:04> »
Speaking as someone who is in the construction business, in the management/engineering sector...

I have never understood these folks designing long term buildings and structures using cargo shipping containers. The containers are constructed of the absolute lowest quality crap steel, and simply are not designed to last. If you scrape off the multiple layers of paint on any container more than a few months old, you'll often see a wall of rust. Usually they're only good for maybe a half dozen trips across the ocean before they're broken down for scrap.

-k
That's something very worth noting! At least to those who where going to use them more than once. :P
thanks for that Info Karma!

"Burn Notice" likes to use abandoned construction sites and unoccupied homes for safe houses. They also use the hero's childhood home a lot. :)
The construction sites, and abandoned buildings make sense, as long as you figure that while some of those places aren't guarded 24-7 they are usually monitored by one security company or another... but i'm not so keen on the idea of using your family's place. That personally doesn't seem the safest move to me... unless you know you don't give a shit about exposing your family to those kinds of risks.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #41 on: <02-02-11/1935:59> »
that could totally work, slap a sun cell on it, with enough cargo room you could keep a whole team out of sight for a week or 2. seems like it might be vulnerable to attack if picked out though... solutions?

Nothing with a Body of 36 should ever be called "Vulenrable" to anything.  ;)

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <02-02-11/1949:36> »

Nothing with a Body of 36 should ever be called "Vulenrable" to anything.  ;)
A few things come to mind, a 3 rail gun broadside for instance....  or how bout a few AIM-27 sparrow hawks? maybe a tactical nuke or an orbital strike? :P but then again if you've got the cred to buy an 800,000 nuyen zepplin, and keep it flying i guess you kind of deserve it. ;)
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #43 on: <02-02-11/2146:41> »
To Teyl_Iliar:
What if the runner has no family? What benifit does a family serve to a criminal anyway if all they do is give your enemies ammo? Many a aspiring dictator have killed their families to resolve this issue. OOOOO would that be a great back story for a druggy character?! Kills family so they can better pursue a shadowrunning career!
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <02-03-11/0110:58> »
To Teyl_Iliar:
What if the runner has no family? What benifit does a family serve to a criminal anyway if all they do is give your enemies ammo? Many a aspiring dictator have killed their families to resolve this issue. OOOOO would that be a great back story for a druggy character?! Kills family so they can better pursue a shadowrunning career!
that's a good point... if they don't care then why not?
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm