NEWS

Lost Islands Found rule reference

• 5 Replies

Dudeling

• Newb
« on: <12-06-17/1428:33> »
I'm preparing to incorporate "Lost Islands Found" from "Firing Line" into a local campaign, and in prepping for its inclusion, there's a note which states that the Island has "an aspect of Electricity 2" on it.  I cannot find a rules reference for what this "means" effects-wise.  I can certainly just ignore it, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.  I looked in all the aspected mage stuff I could see for elemental stuff which might pertain (both 4e and 5e), but found nothing.  Am I missing something somewhere?

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <12-06-17/1453:06> »
I suspect it would be like an aspected Mana field, increase the force by 2 for spells matching the description.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-06-17/1627:10> »
Yeah, it means that the area has a Background Count of 2, which is aspected toward Electricity. That means that all magic performed in the area suffers the penalties for the Background (-2 dice pool if we're talking 5th edition). But anything related to Electricity not only doesn't suffer that penalty, but gets a bonus instead (+2 limit for 5e).

Conceptually, you could describe it (to the Magic characters) as a feeling like everything is a blur, or motion-sickness whenever they try to perform magic. But if the cast an electricity spell such as Lightning Bolt, everything suddenly comes into focus, and the area seems to spark and charge, drawing out the power being channeled for the spell.

I recommend you don't tell your group about the aspect unless someone does really well on an Assensing test. Just tell them they suffer from a Background of 2. If they happen to cast an electricity spell, then tell them they get a bonus.

Dudeling

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-06-17/2203:54> »
Excellent, that helps a lot.  Just for my own reference, where *should* I have been able to find that in the books?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-06-17/2227:26> »
For 5th Edition, Street Grimoire (page 30, I think).

If we're talking 4th edition, Street Magic (don't remember where).

You're looking for the rules about Background Count. "Aspected" is sort of like a modifier to positive background counts. It means that the particular background is aligned with the "aspect" and aids magic aligned with it instead of impeding it.

Dudeling

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <12-07-17/1405:07> »
Perfect!  Thanks a boatload!