NEWS

How is ramming (tactical combat) work?

• 4 Replies

marfish

• Newb
« on: <08-14-17/0846:24> »
I am confused again (and again (and again (and again...(...))))

I know the rule is wonky, but how should I calculate the damage by the book? Can anyone walk me though step by step using the following scenarios?

Scenario 1
a Dodge Scoot (DS; at a speed of 2; body 4, armor 4) wih two passengers (Group D) was hand-oned with a Roadmaster(RM; at a speed of 2; body 18, armor 18) that also has two passengers (Group R).

So, what is the damage that DS, RM, Group D, and Group R need to take? How would they resist the damage?

Scenario 2
And this time, the RM was not moving (uhh...at a speed of 0), but everything else is the same.

So, what is the damage for each of them? How would they resist the damage?

fyi, I know this could be count as chase combat somehow, but let's assume that there are enough foot-soldier around them to make it a tactical combat.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-14-17/1131:21> »
Scenario 1 the Ram rules apply:

RAM
(SHORT RANGE ONLY)
"The acting vehicle attempts to collide with a target vehicle. Make an Opposed (Vehicle Skill) + Reaction [Speed or Handling] Test. If the Ram is taking place in a Speed Environment use Speed as the limit, and use Handling if the Ram is taking place in a Handling Environment. If the ramming vehicle achieves more hits, the vehicles have collided. The target of the Ram takes damage equal to the Body of the ramming vehicle plus any Net Hits achieved. The vehicle that did the Ramming takes damage equal to half its Body."

So assuming the hit is successful with 2 net hits the DS takes 20P AP-6. The passengers resist with their Body+Armor+Vehicle Armor
The RM crew resists 9P AP-6 with Body+Armor+Vehicle Armor

Scenario 2 the Ramming rules apply:

RAMMING
If a driver wants to ram something (or someone) with the vehicle, treat it as a melee attack. The target must be within the vehicle’s Walking or Running Rate (a –3 dice modifier applies if the driver has to resort to running). The driver rolls Vehicle skill + Reaction to attack. The target rolls Reaction + Intuition if a pedestrian, or Reaction+ Intuition [Handling] if driving another vehicle. Pedestrians may use the Full Defense (p. 191) or Dodge (p.191) Interrupt Action but not Block or Parry.
If the driver gets more hits, he rams the target. Make the Damage Resistance Test as normal. The base Damage Value of the attack is determined by the ramming vehicle’s Body and speed, as noted on the Ramming Damage Table. The ramming vehicle must resist only half that amount (round up). Characters resist ramming damage with Body + Armor – 6 AP.

I assume this time you want to know what happens if the DS rams the RM:

Speed 2 translates to Body DV (20m/turn= Body) the victims are stationary so they can't dodge, the RM takes 4+nethits AP-6 damage (and probably doesn't even notice the damage
The DS crew takes 2 damage and will live too, probably :D
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-15-17/0958:17> »
Scenario 1 the Ram rules apply:

RAM
(SHORT RANGE ONLY)
"The acting vehicle attempts to collide with a target vehicle. Make an Opposed (Vehicle Skill) + Reaction [Speed or Handling] Test. If the Ram is taking place in a Speed Environment use Speed as the limit, and use Handling if the Ram is taking place in a Handling Environment. If the ramming vehicle achieves more hits, the vehicles have collided. The target of the Ram takes damage equal to the Body of the ramming vehicle plus any Net Hits achieved. The vehicle that did the Ramming takes damage equal to half its Body."

So assuming the hit is successful with 2 net hits the DS takes 20P AP-6. The passengers resist with their Body+Armor+Vehicle Armor
The RM crew resists 9P AP-6 with Body+Armor+Vehicle Armor

Scenario 2 the Ramming rules apply:

RAMMING
If a driver wants to ram something (or someone) with the vehicle, treat it as a melee attack. The target must be within the vehicle’s Walking or Running Rate (a –3 dice modifier applies if the driver has to resort to running). The driver rolls Vehicle skill + Reaction to attack. The target rolls Reaction + Intuition if a pedestrian, or Reaction+ Intuition [Handling] if driving another vehicle. Pedestrians may use the Full Defense (p. 191) or Dodge (p.191) Interrupt Action but not Block or Parry.
If the driver gets more hits, he rams the target. Make the Damage Resistance Test as normal. The base Damage Value of the attack is determined by the ramming vehicle’s Body and speed, as noted on the Ramming Damage Table. The ramming vehicle must resist only half that amount (round up). Characters resist ramming damage with Body + Armor – 6 AP.

I assume this time you want to know what happens if the DS rams the RM:

Speed 2 translates to Body DV (20m/turn= Body) the victims are stationary so they can't dodge, the RM takes 4+nethits AP-6 damage (and probably doesn't even notice the damage
The DS crew takes 2 damage and will live too, probably :D

So....in Scenario 2, the passengers in both DS and RM don't need to take damage?  :o

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <08-18-17/0243:44> »
The damage the ramming scooter inflict will probably be soaked.

The ramming rules are stupid. If I drive a 18-wheeler into a scooter, I will hundred percent die of ramming damage. Seems reasonable, NOT!.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-21-17/2009:01> »
The damage the ramming scooter inflict will probably be soaked.

The ramming rules are stupid. If I drive a 18-wheeler into a scooter, I will hundred percent die of ramming damage. Seems reasonable, NOT!.

Yeah I think it should maybe be something like 1/2 body of vehicle you hit with net hits reducing the damage.