NEWS

Transgenics

• 6 Replies

Mollari

• Newb
« on: <07-17-17/0733:37> »
Hi there.

Are transgenics considered bioware? Would a quality like biocompatibility affect something like that?

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-17-17/0906:39> »
as written, no. 
Work with your GM.  I personally see that as the epitome of Bioware.
Also, according to the rules I don't think there are different grades. 

Mollari

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-17-17/2105:00> »
Hi there. Thx for the answer. I agree.

See, I'm playing a Nosferatu and it has explicit rules regarding bio/cyberware.
I agree that they don't have ranks, and for infected, any bioware looses a rank, and if there is no rank it's gone.

Anyone else have any differing opinions?

&#24525;

« Reply #3 on: <07-17-17/2158:35> »
I think HMHVV would eat transgenics for breakfast lol

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-18-17/0454:14> »
I believe, if you want to conform to fluff, you plain can't apply genetic modifications to an already infected individual.
HMHVV is a magical disease that will keep the infected just the way the virus is programmed to like it, including making you immune to mind-altering nanites and he like. If your GM wants to allow that, I'd suggest a Delta-Clinic.
Genetic modifications are based on modified HMHVV after all, and I reckon the original has something to say about that. ^^

Other than that, I believe things like bio-compatibility are about the body being more accepting of foreign things being introduced, where as genetics in all forms just change the base.
I would argue it would make sense for "Transhuman Prototype" to also allow genware in that one point of free essence, where by RAW it doesn't, but other than that I believe genetics to be entirely seperate, in the same way that injected hard nanites are probably the epitome of cyberware, yet they aren't.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Mollari

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-18-17/1843:04> »
Thx for your answers. Majority rules ;)

Will pursue the min max path through other channels :D

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #6 on: <07-22-17/0330:20> »
I would say 'pays your money, takes your chances'.  If you want biocompatability to affect it, then it's bioware, and your HMHVV is going to wipe it out without giving you any essence back.  On the flip side, IMO if it isn't 'bioware' (and thus available for biocompatability to affect), AND your character possessed it BEFORE you contracted HMHVV, then it would be possible that you retained the gene sequence.

Call it an Essence test (at pre-HMHVV levels), with a threshold of the Essence Cost x10.  The less extreme a transgenic alteration is, the more likely you're going to retain it.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.