NEWS

Dedicated Conjurer, no spirit limits?

• 4 Replies

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« on: <05-14-17/0052:29> »
Am I right in thinking that Dedicated Conjurer gives you the ability to summon spirits from outside of the players normal selections, or do you think it was meant to be limited like UMT summoning, but that got missed?

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <05-14-17/0751:28> »
I would assume it was meant to not allow shadow spirits and the like, which require a calling ritual and have the "dark ally" quality to get some, but if there's other spirits, then I suppose yes, you could get them all.
Only way to know is to ask the respective author.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-15-17/0115:36> »
I'm not the author but the only way that Dedicated Conjurer makes sense is if it allows you to summon spirits outside of your tradition. Everyone gets task and guardian spirits! Guidance spirits? Why not!

I actually think this is a pretty neat quality; it makes me want to experiment with an Aspected Conjurer.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-15-17/0234:47> »
I don't think anyone was suggesting that it shouldn't be able to give access to the other "Base Spirits," I think the question is "should they be able to gain access to summon the spirits that are normally restricted from summoning except by extreme means?"

To take a page out of Pathfinder's playbook, we might be able to use better terminology to explain things. Pathfinder has a lot of classes that a character can take. Standard classes (those available to lvl 1 characters) are called "Base Classes" which includes all of the extra classes that have been added in later books. If someone wants to refer to only the classes that were released in the original Core Rulebook they refer to them as "Core Classes." All of the Core Classes are also Base Classes.

TL;DR
By Base Spirits I mean Spirits of: Fire, Air, Water, Earth, Man, Beasts, Guardian, Guidance, Plant, and Task
The first 6 (Elements plus Man and Beast) would be referred to as Core Spirits, while the latter four are additional Core spirits added in Street Grimoire.

Now, non-base spirits would be things like Shedim, Toxics, Invae (Insects), Shadows, etc. So the question is, should Dedicated Conjurer allow access to ANY spirit or just the Basic-types.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #4 on: <05-15-17/1113:06> »
TL;DR
By Base Spirits I mean Spirits of: Fire, Air, Water, Earth, Man, Beasts, Guardian, Guidance, Plant, and Task
The first 6 (Elements plus Man and Beast) would be referred to as Core Spirits, while the latter four are additional Core spirits added in Street Grimoire.

Now, non-base spirits would be things like Shedim, Toxics, Invae (Insects), Shadows, etc. So the question is, should Dedicated Conjurer allow access to ANY spirit or just the Basic-types.

This. The UMT summoning expansion metamagic just gives the base spirits (with a second one dedicated to just Shedim), but Dedicated Conjurer doesn't list this as a restriction to selections, which could open the door to others, and as an urban shaman, I'm kinda eyeing the Spirits of Vehicles.