NEWS

A Regular Joe

• 7 Replies

JmOz01

• Omae
« on: <05-11-17/2313:19> »
This is a concept build, not really planning on playing him, but would like to know how "Survivable" he is

Joe
METATYPE: HUMAN
B 3, A 6, R 4, S 3, W 3, L 5, I 5, C 5, ESS 6, EDG 7
Condition Monitor (P/S): 10 / 10
Armor: 12
Limits: Physical 5, Mental 6, Social 7
Physical Initiative: 9/10+2D6
Matrix Initiative: 11+3D6
Active Skills: Automatics 6, Con 6, Gymnastics 6, Influence Group 5, Palming 6, Perception 6, Sneaking 6
Knowledge Skills: Seatle Sprawl 5, Trid Maker 5, Urban Brawl 5
Languages: English N, Or'Zet 5
Qualities: Jack of All Trades, Master of None, Lightning Reflexes, Lightweight, Poor Self Control - Thrill-Seeker, Quick Healer, Sensitive System, Too Much Data
Vehicles:
. . CAMBOT MCT:  Fly-Spy [Handling 4, Speed 3, Accel 2, Body 1, Armor 0, Pilot 3, Sensor 3/5]
. . . . Gear:
. . . . . . Clearsight (3)
. . . . . . Linguistics: English (local language)
. . . . . . Linguistics: Japanese (Manufacturer's Language)
. . . . . . Maneuvering: Pilot Aircraft (3)
. . . . . . Realistic Features
. . . . . . Rigger Interface
. . . . . . Sensor Upgrade +2
Gear:
. . Armor Jacket
. . Backpack
. . Camera (3) w/ Flare Compensation, Low Light Vision, Vision Magnification, Electronic
. . Certified Credstick, Standard
. . Contacts (3) w/ Flare Compensation, Image Link, Smartlink
. . Datachip x10
. . Glasses (2) w/ Low Light Vision, Vision Magnification, Electronic
. . Identity: Specify Name w/ Fake License: Weapon (4), Fake SIN (4), (1 month) Low Lifestyle
. . Identity: Specify Name w/ Fake License: Weapon (4), Fake SIN (4)
. . Medkit (6)
. . Metal Restraints
. . Micro-Tranceiver
. . Plastic Restraints x10
. . Quick-Draw Holster
. . Transys Avalon w/ Sim Module
. . Trodes
Weapons:
. . Ares Crusader II [Machine Pistol, Acc 7, DV 7P, AP –, SA/BF, RC 2, 40 (c)] w/ (40x) APDS, (80x) Explosive Rounds, Gas-Vent System (2), (40x) Gel Rounds, (40x) Regular Ammo, Silencer/Suppressor, Smartgun System, Internal, (5x) Spare Clips, (40x) Stick-n-Shock
. . Combat Knife [Blade, Acc 6, DV 5P, AP -3]
Contacts:
Fixer (Connection 4, Loyalty 2)
Street Doc (Connection 4, Loyalty 2)
Street Kid (Connection 1, Loyalty 2)
Starting ¥: 3D6 × 60¥

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Shadowrun © 2005-2017 The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Shadowrun is a registered trademark of The Topps Company, Inc.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-12-17/0753:34> »
So what's regular about this Joe?
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-12-17/1259:25> »
I'm guessing the lack of Magic and 'ware make this Joe "regular". Certainly his skills are not regular. Think of him as a pre-Awakening infiltrator, social or physical.

I think the character is perfectly viable and survivable in a campaign where dice pools in the low teens are acceptable. He gets 13 dice for shooting and 10-12 dice for eight other skills. That's pretty well-rounded if it's not a high-powered table. Edge 7 will also go a long way to fill in any gaps too.

I'm not seeing any Logic-linked skills, so I would swap Logic and Willpower, unless you were specifically intending to default on the Logic-linked skills you might want to use (like Computer). If you keep Willpower at 3, I would consider Agile Defender for instances where you want Full Defense.

One possibility is taking the Stealth Group at 5 and Etiquette/Negotiation at 6. It would sting a bit to give up that 6th point of Sneaking, but you would benefit more from Disguise than you would Leadership.

I would probably drop one of the fake SINs in favor of more clothes, specifically some suits to help make better use of the Influence Group. Perhaps a ballistics mask too for times when he wants to hide his face, and a chameleon suit to help with the sneaking. He needs the additional Limit since his Physical Limit is only 5. That's a 12% chance of losing hits with 11 dice, or 18% with 12 dice.

He doesn't have any melee skills, so his two options are talking his way out or shooting his way out. I might suggest a shock glove, or shock frills, for instances when he wants to KO an unsuspecting guard that he snuck up on.

Taking "Too Much Data" is cheap given that the character isn't a rigger and doesn't have any Pilot skills. It's a minor point at 3 karma but I would nix it as a GM.

I would also disallow "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" given the extreme max-max (it's not even min-maxing) of the active skills at chargen.

JmOz01

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-12-17/1708:54> »
Yes, regular In this sense was that he had no magic or 'ware.  It was an idea of "Do you need the specials to be special" type of concept...like I said concept build...I like doing them, you should see Timex the troll (He was based around how tough can you get...Never would allow him in a game)

The idea of logic/will or even logic/body makes a lot of sense

I actually like Leadership ALOT for some reason.  Disguise is often (at least at the table I play) the area of the magic sect...

Too much data is a bit cheesy I will admit, at one point during design he had multiple CAMBOTS (He was a little bit of a rigger for 20 minutes)

I see Jack of all trades as being a different ball part.  It is a mechanical quality, meaning that it effects the character on a mechanical level, so I at least am  very lenient on it (If I ever want to raise something later it is going to cost more, etc...)

JmOz01

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-12-17/1711:15> »
FYI I did notice a mistake I made, his knife is suppose to be a survival not combat

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-12-17/1933:20> »
See:

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23988.0

for more ideas of wareless mundane character concept.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-12-17/2257:00> »
Mechanically Drugs > Lightning Reflexes.  By a lot.  Especially if you have access to the Chrome Flesh book.  And it frees up a lot of Karma for Positive Qualities.  If no Drugs, No Magic, No 'Ware is a character thing, then carry on.

If you can scare up the two skill points Hardware (Alarms) is handy for B&E.  You could probably pull from Gymnastics.  Generally you don't need a lot of dice for Gymnastics, IME, anyway.

+1 to Tecumseh's skill, gear, and attribute tweaks.  If you drop one of the fake SINs you can afford a low end vehicle.  Multiple fake SINs are usually only used on the blacker of trenchcoat games.

7 Edge is a Super Power, don't think otherwise.  Blitz for your Initiative when its a big fight.  Win any important dice roll.  Survive point blank full auto.  Talk with your GM about Edge re-fresh, just to get feel for where the table is at.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-13-17/1413:00> »
A mundane unaugmented human might be a suboptimal choice, but they are definitely a lot more viable in SR5.  The priorities you picked are what I consider the best choice - 24 Attribute points, 36/5 skills, 7 Edge, and 50,000 Nuyen.  The only allocation I like better is in Sum-to-Ten, where you can drop Resources to E and raise skills to A.  26,000 Nuyen (assuming 10 Karma spent to add 20,000 Nuyen) is enough for the bare necessities, and skill-wise, you gain 10 skill points and 5 skill group points, a very serious increase.