NEWS

AIs and lack of options

• 7 Replies

忍

« on: <04-01-17/1557:59> »
Given that one of the mechanics AIs have only availible to them, Advanced Programs, they inherently suffer from a lack of playability as only decks, RCCs, and drones are capable of running them. This resource gate limits the chargen possibilities of AIs, making deckers or riggers only viable. Additionally their Emulate action is counterintuitive to this. If you are capable of "faking" a matrix attribute why bother having a device with one? Yes you'll want a place to "rest" after a long, hard day, but even that is difficult by design as your Depth defines what device you can or can't load on to. Presuming you want to be flexible in device choices you'll need a lower Depth, which in turn handicapes many other AI mechanics such as known programs or Emulate. Logically there are too many competing factors to allow AIs to be playable within the realm of relevance outside of the smallest handful of builds (second to TMs, natch).

/rant

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-01-17/1653:52> »
Pretty much, yes.
3/4 of the advanced programs are crap anyway from a cost/benefit perspective. PC AIs are pretty gimped in this edition. But to be fair: Decker/Rigger is what a matrix bound entity has to be. Luckily, being an anthro drone rigger means you can be also everything else a mundane character can be.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #2 on: <04-01-17/1817:22> »
Yeah, I don't think there's really much credit to an argument that AI only being able to be deckers or riggers is too restrictive.  A rigger's drone can almost be built like a street samurai, and there's nothing stopping you from having Charisma and social skills, so unless your argument is "AI should be able to be mages and adepts!" I don't quite know what you're hoping for.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

&#24525;

« Reply #3 on: <04-02-17/0140:17> »
Makings the choices :decker, rigger, anthro (type). This lack of options forces a digital entity to exist predominantly in the meat.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #4 on: <04-02-17/1636:41> »
Ah, you're saying basically that by forcing a "home device" to exist, it detracts from them being purely digital entities?  Hmm, I know they aren't devices, but can an AI pick a Host as their home?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

kreblach

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-03-17/2146:52> »
I see no reason why not. It's not really mentioned as an option because there are really no rules governing owning a host as a player, but a chat with your GM would solve that.

&#24525;

« Reply #6 on: <04-03-17/2225:56> »
Yeah, I don't think there's really much credit to an argument that AI only being able to be deckers or riggers is too restrictive.  A rigger's drone can almost be built like a street samurai, and there's nothing stopping you from having Charisma and social skills, so unless your argument is "AI should be able to be mages and adepts!" I don't quite know what you're hoping for.
Ah, you're saying basically that by forcing a "home device" to exist, it detracts from them being purely digital entities?  Hmm, I know they aren't devices, but can an AI pick a Host as their home?
I'm trying to say that an AI is only as good as the hardware it runs on. This creates a bottleneck of possibilities. Yes AI could have a host as a home, however that isn't really an option RAW.
being an anthro drone rigger means you can be also everything else a mundane character can be.

This makes a large portion of PC AIs mostly built before even having a name. Pilot Origins. High resources. Limited applicability.

I just think a digital entity would be first measured in its capabilities in the Matrix before having to be measured in the "meat".

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <04-13-17/1240:45> »
I've seen a pretty decent AI face come out of a rigger start. She eventually bought a  Maid Doll drone and moded it to appear more human than drone.  On the other side of the same coin... you could always steal a Bunraku human doll thing and take that over :p