NEWS

General suggestions for making a playable AI character?

• 24 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <04-11-17/0745:21> »
Autosofts are limited by device rating, so independent of your Dept (Remember the drone can still act while you are not in direct control)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #16 on: <04-11-17/0949:52> »
Autosofts are limited by device rating, so independent of your Dept (Remember the drone can still act while you are not in direct control)

But your Depth becomes the Pilot rating of any drone you're running on.  And you're still running on it even if you're not in direct control.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-11-17/1005:45> »
That leads to a very paradox situation where the larger and more complex your AI program is the more additional programs you can run - independent of the actual hardware.

Pilot rating is in my opinion a function of device rating - just because you artificially change your pilot rating doesn't change the hardware.

I can just repeat myself: That stupid half sentence should have been left out. It unnecessarily confuses an already complex situation.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <04-11-17/2110:45> »
AI always have the ability to alter program space anyways.  It's one of the Optimization options, and Optimization also always adds +1 cyberprogram/app/autosoft slot as well in addition.  Your AI doesn't necessarily take more space with more Depth anyways; they always only take one program slot.

EDIT:  My bad, they can totally take 2 slots if their Depth exceeds the Device Rating.  That does leave a weird paradox then, in the Pilot/Device Rating department, if your Depth would change the DR.

I realize, in Rigger 5.0, someone mentions a "pistols" Autosoft, but as far as I know, no such one exists.  It wasn't rules text, so I'm not getting my hopes up, but is it intended that anthrodrones have a wider array of potential autosoft, to the point where it's basically just skillsofts?  I'd love to be able to use a Pistols autosoft instead of "Targeting [Colt Manhunter]" or a Clubs skillsoft instead of like, "Melee [Left-Handed Rickenbacker Bass Guitar Model 4001]".
« Last Edit: <04-12-17/2320:01> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <04-13-17/0220:17> »
It is most certainly a skillsoft.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <04-13-17/0625:53> »
well

Obviously, the lack of a body limits the usefulness of
a number of Active Skills to AIs. An AI may still learn
these skills at the normal cost for use when remotely
controlling devices

So you can have a gunnery ballstic skill or use the
super specific Targeting Ares Alpha Autosoft least
the latter also applies to the grenade launcher and
the former the specialization only applies to bullets

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <04-13-17/1046:15> »
I know I could actually learn the skill.

I'm talking about learning an Autosoft of the skill as a program.  If I can basically make any skill into an autosoft, then I can learn a huge number of skills for 5 karma each at rating ??? at the cost of only being able to access a couple at a time.  And potentially losing one if I get bricked.  They have a helpful list of available autosofts in Rigger 5.0 that add to the ones in the core book, but the book references drones being loaded with other autosoft, like one for pistols in general instead of individual-weapon-specific ones.

&#24525;

« Reply #22 on: <04-13-17/1407:08> »
but the book references drones being loaded with other autosoft, like one for pistols in general instead of individual-weapon-specific ones.
Would you mind providing that reference? Good catch on learning Autosofts as programs. The rating of said programs is somewhat of an issue.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <04-14-17/0010:03> »
It's always chat among characters, so it's not rules text, but...  Like this for example.

>  The Secretary has the single most advanced processing unit of any of the drones being detailed here. You can slot all manner of autosoft in there, from pistols to driving to Swedish massage. Just brilliant work.
>  Slamm-0!

And yeah, it lets you learn autosofts, and a couple advanced programs even say things like "The Targeting autosoft rating must be at least as high as the AI’s Depth for Spotter to work." which...  Leads to some annoying potential scenario and a lot of questions.

&#24525;

« Reply #24 on: <04-20-17/1512:39> »
So What did you come up with?