Yeah, character creation can be a bit daunting at the beginning.
It helps to adhere to the steps in the book:
1) Establish priorities. For beginners I'd suggest to go A or B for Attributes for all. Bad attribute placement is quite often the reason a character concept doesn't work. That way your players have enough points to compensate for inexperience.
2) Qualities: A lot of those sound nice, but don't do what you think they do. If you want to accelerate creation, you can skip them entirely and let them buy them later when everyone had time to get to know their character.
3) Skills: Everyone should have Perception, one or two combat skills (one ranged one melee), one Social skill and their specialty group. SR 5 rewards specialists, so get your main skills high and buy low skills with Karma.
4) Knowledge Skills: Those can be added later on too if you want to save some time.
5) Gear: That's the hardest part since gear-porn is a very integral part of SR. Run and Gun does have ready made equipment packs and there are also some to be found on this forum.
A runner needs a weapon, armor a commlink and a SIN or two. At least one of them should have a car.
A while ago I made a list of useful item packs for the core rule book. Maybe that will help you to get that part over a bit quicker: