NEWS

[Walk The Shadows #1] Solid Snake (Naga Adept Tank)

• 12 Replies

Karrde

• Newb
« on: <03-30-17/1854:04> »
First of 10 exotic builds created by request. While I am new to the SR5 system, I am told I am quite good at building unique and interesting characters and have been tasked with creating a number for our local DM to utilize (and for me to occasionally play).

DRAFT WORK IN PROGRESS

Name: Sadi
Alias: Solid Snake
Public Awareness: 3
Street Cred: 0
Notoriety: 0
Initiative: 6+4d6
Physical Limit: 9
Mental Limit: 4
Social Limit: 5
Physical Boxes: 13
Stun Boxes: 11
Overflow: 10

Race: Naga
Nationality: Caribbean League (SINless)
Formative Years: Bag of Organs
Teen Years: Test Subject
Real Life: Pit Fighter
Real Life: Urban Brawler
Real Life: Bounty Hunter
Real Life: Celebrity

BODY
10/10 [Exceptional Attribute and Increased Physical Attribute]
AGILITY
3/4
REACTION
5/7 [Improved Reflexes III]
STRENGTH
6/9
WILLPOWER
4(5 with Pain Editor)/7
LOGIC
2/6
INTUITION   
2(1 with Pain Editor)/6
CHARISMA
3/7
EDGE
1/5
MAGIC
ESSENCE

TRAITS[/u]
Armour 8
Cold-Blooded
Whenever the character is exposed to temperatures below thirty degrees Celsius, all tests related to Physical attributes face a –1 dice pool modifier. Below twenty degrees Celsius they face a –3 dice pool modifier. Below ten degrees Celsius they face a –5 dice pool modifier. At zero degrees Celsius the character ceases to function entirely and enters a comatose state until she is sufficiently warmed.
The bodies of characters with this quality have temperatures close to the air temperature, providing a –2 dice pool modifier against detection or attack by anyone perceiving them solely through thermographic vision or thermal sensitivity (p. 118).

Dual Natured
Guard
Natural Weapon (Bite: DV (STR + 1)P, AP –2, Reach –1)
Venom

POSITIVE[/u]
Adept
Biocompatibility
Exceptional Attribute (Body)
High Pain Tolerance II
Fame (8): Caribbean League (Miami)
Legendary Rep ()
Magician’s Way
Natural Athlete
Prototype Transhuman
Quick Healer
Restricted Gear (Pain Editor)

NEGATIVE
Day Job (5) : Urban Brawl Defensive Coach (4000 nuyen per month at 11 hours per week)
Flashbacks ()
SINner (Carribean League)
Uneducated

Only skills with ranks are shown here, with attribute bonuses added in

ACTIVE[/u]
Biotechnology
3 (1+2)
Blades
11 (5+6)
Clubs
11 (5+6)
Con
4 (1+3)
Cybertechnology
4 (2+2)
Etiquette
5 (2+3)
Escape Artist
4 (1+3)
First Aid
5 (3+2)
Free-Fall
11 (1+10)
Gymnastics
9 (6+3)
Intimidation
7 (4+3)
Leadership
4 (1+3)
Longarms
4 (1+3)
Negotiation
5 (2+3)
Perception
2 (1+1)
Performance
6 (3+3)
Pistols
4 (1+3)
Running
9 (3+6)
Sneaking
6 (3+3)
Survival
6 (1+5)
Swimming
9 (3+6)
Tracking
2 (1+1)
Unarmed Combat
13 (7+6)

KNOWLEDGE[/u]

Miami
3 (1+2)
Academic: Caribbean History
3 (1+2)
Academic: Biology
3 (1+2)
Academic: Bioware
3 (1+2)
Academic: Metahuman Biology
3 (1+2)
Interest: Transhumanist Philosophy
2 (1+1)
Professional: Pit Fighting
5 (3+2)
Professional: Urban Brawl
8 (6+2)
Street: Crook Hangouts
4 (3+1)
Street: Lone Star Procedures
4 (3+1)
Street: Organleggers
4 (3+1)
Street: Syndicates
4 (3+1)
Street: Cuba
2 (1+1)

LANGUAGE[/u]

English
N
Taino
2 (1+1)

Ballistic Mask
   + Customized
   + Commlink
     + Transys Avalon
   + Microtransceiver
   + Image Link
   + Thermographic Vision
   + Trodes
   + Rating 6 Respirator

Bioware
Rating 3 Alphaware Bone Density
Pain Editor

Nuyen: 3605

Remaining Karma: 8

Style: Wrestling (MMA Style)
   Technique: Constrictor’s Crush

Improved Reflexes III
Improved Physical Attribute

Some runners are born, others are made.  Sadi was bred in a facility designed for one purpose: develop next-generation  and sell them to various CEOs and warlords (is there really a difference) around the world.  From birth, all the experimental subjects were forced to endure highly dangerous procedures, all in the pursuit of the bottom line.  Some had weapons grafted into their flesh, others has their neural networks rebuilt, and the rest had even more esoteric procedures inflicted upon them.   Sadi’s clutch was coded under Project: Svalinn, the “doctors” rebuilt his skeletal network and eliminated his ability to feel pain. 
More to follow...

1) The tabs are my own design and are free to use.  The link to the album on imgur is http://imgur.com/a/5IXFu

2) The naga now needs actual armour.  At this time, he has a natural armour rating of 8, plus his 10 body, plus 3 for Bone Density, which if I understand the rules correctly, means he will be rolling at least 15 dice to negate damage, even against heavier weapons.  He will eventually be getting a Tantric Qi Focus Tattoo for Mystic Armour 3, once he reaches Magic 6.  But until then he needs some good- old-fashioned Kevlar.  Suggestions?

2.5) Can you upgrade Tantric Tattoos?  Say I bought a Force 4 (Mystic Armour 2) now, and wanted to up it to a Force 6 (Mystic Armour 3) later.

3) With that armour comes some key upgrades.  As Naga have the cold-blooded trait, they are very vulnerable to cold.  Any mods that can help mitigate this weakness would be much appreciated.  The armour must also be able to take the biomonitor upgrade, since with the Pain Editor, Sadi has no way to know if he actually has taken damage.

4) Would it be useful if I included summaries of certain less-known items/abilities?

5) The Skills section looks very cluttered to me, any suggestions as to how I might make it more readable?

6) Which is better, Clinch or Subdual?

7) Does Bone Density’s Damage Change turn subdual damage into Physical?
« Last Edit: <04-08-17/1238:32> by Karrde »
I think a well-played “special snowflake” character is far more engaging and contributes more to a game than a character made only for top stats/skills.

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <04-03-17/1512:50> »
Lifemodules with several modules at the last levels is a good way to raise attributes. Still I'd be interested in how skills and equipment turned out on this one.

Note that you have to pay for adept and meta with karma.

How's he going to wield the spear and forearm guards with no arms?

If using Chummer note that it's very buggy with life modules.

Karrde

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-03-17/1529:32> »
Lifemodules with several modules at the last levels is a good way to raise attributes. Still I'd be interested in how skills and equipment turned out on this one.

Note that you have to pay for adept and meta with karma.

How's he going to wield the spear and forearm guards with no arms?

If using Chummer note that it's very buggy with life modules.

A full karma breakdown will be added soonish.

As far as I know, Naga do have arms.  They lack legs.

And I know full well Chummer's issue with Life Modules (which is why I don't use it).  I have heard HeroLab is less buggy, but even so, nothing wrong with just pen and paper.
I think a well-played “special snowflake” character is far more engaging and contributes more to a game than a character made only for top stats/skills.

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <04-04-17/1138:03> »
Well in older editions they clearly had neither arms nor legs, though with SR5 I wonder if they are intended to have arms or if they haven't why this is not mentioned explicitly when you provide rules to play them.

SR4's Running Wild (p.50) notes "with no hands, the work falls on those naga who are able to manipulate their surroundings with magic"

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-05-17/1809:26> »
Naga do not have limbs. If they did, they wouldn't be classified as snakes, which by definition are limbless.

Run Faster, Pg 98: "Originally naga were thought to be an intelligent, trainable, and Awakened ten-meter-long snake species."

It's true that Run Faster is lacking a physical description, but they do emphasize the concept that they were mistaken for Awakened snakes before they revealed that they were Sapient and could speak. No Arms, no Legs, just Snake.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-05-17/2203:22> »
Also, active skills are capped at 7 in life modules.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-06-17/0813:50> »

As far as I know, Naga do have arms.  They lack legs.

Nagas are huge magical sentient snakes. Snakes don't have arms.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <04-08-17/1816:51> »
I see no use listing many of those skills as having neither arms nor legs plus no magic fingers spell use  seriously gimps a lot of skill uses: all ranged and melee weapon skills for example (though he sure tried and trained a lot I wonder how), all vehicle skills, hell even opening a door is a challenge.

How does he put on his ballistic mask? How's he even gonna feed? He needs an assistant. An interesting role playing challenge for sure...

Unarmed combat is fine though. *badum tschin*

Get him a chameleon suit or skin mod.

How Uneducated (which increases karma costs for certain skill groups) is supposed to work with lifemodules is completely unclear btw, but make sure to use the "Success Tests for ordinary tasks that the typical sprawl-dweller takes for granted" generously.

He has way too much qualities. You cannot add any after the modules unless you are under the limit of 25.
« Last Edit: <04-08-17/1835:57> by Thanael »

Karrde

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <04-09-17/1607:15> »
If naga had such issues in the world by not having hands, I find it difficult to believe the species would survive, let alone found a kingdom. 

Where in the books does it limit you to 25 Karma of Positive Qualities. I know you can't have more than 25 negative (to avoid having to many "bonus" points), but I haven't been able to find a limiter rule in the books. In the original Priority system you could only have 25 because that was what they gave you. Is that what you are basing it on?

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <04-09-17/1638:04> »
I'm not sure if you are aware of the errata, but life modules now officially get the free points for knowledge/language skills and contacts.

Still, I don't think life modules is a good choice for this concept - too many skills that the character can't even use.

On Qualities:
Page 71 of the main book explicitly limits both positive and negative qualities.  Page 84 of Run Faster, discussing life modules, is a lot more muddled.  It limits you from selecting new negative qualities unless you are under the maximum amount of 25 Karma, but doesn't say anything about positive qualities.  I assume the same restriction, but that is just my personal interpretation - you could just as readily assume you can buy 25 points on top of what you get from life modules, or even no restrictions at all.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-10-17/0209:41> »
If naga had such issues in the world by not having hands, I find it difficult to believe the species would survive, let alone found a kingdom. 

Where in the books does it limit you to 25 Karma of Positive Qualities. I know you can't have more than 25 negative (to avoid having to many "bonus" points), but I haven't been able to find a limiter rule in the books. In the original Priority system you could only have 25 because that was what they gave you. Is that what you are basing it on?

In the Core Book it explicitly states that you are limited to 25 karma of positive qualities, you can't (for example) take 25 negative to be able to take more than 25 positives. The alternate generation methods in the Core book explicilty mention when the quality limits are changed as a result of different starting karma.

Quote from: Core Rulebook pg 71
Additionally, at creation characters can only possess at most 25 Karma worth of Positive Qualities and 25 Karma worth of Negative Qualities.
« Last Edit: <04-10-17/0212:00> by Kiirnodel »

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #11 on: <04-10-17/0237:33> »
Also, naga suck in anything but equatorial regions. You'd need the maintain warmth power in a qi focus yo survive in a European or american game. Adept spell:magic fingers is needed to really interact with the world too
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Karrde

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <04-10-17/0942:49> »
Appreciate all the insight. Doing a second rework to make him into a mystic adept with more relevant skills. Would love more advice, especially on anything I mention in the Notes section.

Walk the Shadows 2 will also be coming sometime today (cyberware character with modular limbs); I would appreciate feedback on that one as well.