NEWS

[5e] Draft design for a full cyborg character?

• 24 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #15 on: <02-25-17/1721:03> »
@Firebug I think the problem is the intent (full cyborg, usually a combat monster) vs rules (drones are hella fragile).  Especially if you read the 'drones treat armor like clothing' strictly, even for anthro drones, to disallow armor or spending a lot of the mod points on armor or similar to get the same effect in a very fragile container.  So unfortunately, even if you get the drone that works out well for recon, there's something much more satisfying for a PC to be in the thick of things usually.

It has been stated by people who worked on Rigger 5.0 that anthrodrones can wear armor like people, however it does not stack with their (usually minimal) base armor because it's "not vehicle armor".  As well, anthrodrones all have 8 + 1/2 BOD condition boxes and 4 cyberlimbs, meaning every anthrodrone has a minimum of 12 boxes.  So, anthrodrones are not fragile at all actually.  Yes, a PC with 20 armor will have a higher dice pool than a drone with 14, but that PC is not completely immune to Stun damage.  Once you have enough armor to begin changing the majority of strikes to Stun, you're golden.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <02-25-17/1729:07> »
Well according to Realistic Features:

This can range from a simple coating of realistic-looking skin
made from a synthetic material, to a full covering of living
tissue fed by an artificial circulation system with devices
to simulate organs. The realistic features mod has
a Rating of 1 to 4. The Rating sets the threshold of the
Perception Test to recognize the machine as artificial.

Assensing tests show it has no aura so...

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <02-25-17/1803:30> »
Meta [E] Human(1), Attributes 20, Magic [D] Adept, Skills [C] 28/2, Resources [A] 450,000                        

Initial attributes:                        
B5 A1 R5 S1 W5 L3 I5 C3                        

Qualities:                        
Restricted Gear (Adapsin) 10karma                        
Biocompatibility(cyberware) 5karma                        
Way of the Burnout 20karma(does not count towards positive qualities)                        
Redlinner 10karma                        
25 Karma worth of negative qualities.                        

Skills:                        
To be decided by player                        

Ess   Cost                     
0.45   10000   Skull                  
0.9   20000   Torso                  
0.6   45000   Arm (Customized to 6) w/Redlinner 6[8]                  
0.6   45000   Arm (Customized to 6) w/Redlinner 6[8]                  
0.6   45000   Leg (Customized to 6) w/Redlinner 6[8]                  
0.6   45000   Leg (Customized to 6) w/Redlinner 6[8]                  
0.2   30000   Adapsin                  
0.8   190000   Synaptic Booster [2]                  
4.75   430000   Total                  

You'll have to fill the capacity of the cyberlimbs post-chargen with run money.                        
Of course, you could swap Synaptic Booster to Boosted Reflexes and use the savings                         
to start using up the capacity in chargen.                        

Your MR at this point is 0 w/a maximum of 1.                        
I'd spend that last 5 karma to increase MR to 1 and at least get Combat Sense [1].                        

So assuming you go with the Synaptic Booster you attributes look like:                        
BOD 5                        
AGI 1[3], Cyberlimbs 6[8]                        
REA 5[7]                        
STR 1[3], Cyberlimbs 6[8]                        
WIL 5                        
LOG 3                        
INT 5                        
CHA 3                        
ESS 1.25                        
EDG 3                        
PhyMon 9                        
StunMon 11                        
M-Limit 6                        
P-Limit 6                        
S-Limit 5                        

Post Chargen you can add +2 AGI/STR to each limb to get to 8[10].                        
The rules aren't clear on this but my assumption is the cyberlimb can't add the 3rd enhancement                        
to AGI or STR as humans are normally limited to 10… but that's for GM to decide.                        

Also note that the German Language rules has an optional rule that would allow you to use the                        
cyberlimbs AGI for movement and the STR for P-limit since all 4 limbs are cyber. Again, that's                        
for your GM to decide.   

The reduced PhysMon due to Redlinner will eventually not matter much since you'll eventually add enough armor enhancement (which stacks with whatever your wearing) that usually you'll be taking stun damage more often than physical. A pain editor should be added as soon as possible before increasing your MR to 2 otherwise you'll lose the ess discount from Burnout.                  

duskflights

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <02-25-17/2150:12> »

Seriously?  Because I read a Way as a positive Quality, even if it is odd and doesn't increase cost after chargen.  Any support for that?
« Last Edit: <02-25-17/2152:36> by duskflights »

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <02-25-17/2224:15> »

Seriously?  Because I read a Way as a positive Quality, even if it is odd and doesn't increase cost after chargen.  Any support for that?

RAW it's a positive quality because he forgot to write it explicitly in the section. However the freelancer Mystic has posted that RAI is that they do not count against positive limits.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23294.0
Mystic confirms it in this thread but there is an earlier thread where he points it out that I can't find at the moment.

And I forgot Burnout is 15 points not 20...mea culpa
« Last Edit: <02-25-17/2226:17> by Pap Renvela »

duskflights

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <02-25-17/2329:59> »
Aha, thank you so much!

(*goes off to re-calculate several build ideas...*)

Myriad

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <02-26-17/0037:57> »
@Firebug- Makes sense, eventually get enough armor, most things are stun, and it works out nice.   The thing is... does your character actually work inside or closer to it?  I think the main issue I had with riggers vs a cyborg character was them not being close enough to the action to help or always in the 'van'.  Does Rigger cocoon fix this?  or does it just look silly supposedly?

@Pap- Great build, that's basically what I did...  if you save 1 essence due to not taking Synapse, you can get away with Improved Reflex 1, karma 8, 12k nuyen (qi focus) for the same bonus.  Basically going magitech 'armor' or cyborgness.  Also, that nuyen saved, you can do a lot more with it like increasing the limbs with the initial enhance, get a car and some weapons, slot in a cyberweapon, buy a R4 Fake SIN, etc.  I actually did just a cybernetic license in that case, since, I carried no 'firearms' except in the arms, though unsure if that's legal?

edit:  Nvm, I can't fit in the skull in the above build, but if you're willing to go partial or none, then it works out with some essence left over.
« Last Edit: <02-26-17/0115:58> by Myriad »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #22 on: <02-26-17/0123:13> »
@Firebug- Makes sense, eventually get enough armor, most things are stun, and it works out nice.   The thing is... does your character actually work inside or closer to it?  I think the main issue I had with riggers vs a cyborg character was them not being close enough to the action to help or always in the 'van'.  Does Rigger cocoon fix this?  or does it just look silly supposedly?

I assume you've never looked into drones before?  Every drone has a sensor array installed; this is how they see and hear and everything.  They aren't just little RC cars with guns attached.  When a rigger jumps in to a drone via the matrix, they basically are that drone, and through its sensors can see and hear and do everything a metahuman can, possibly better (as the camera and mic can be modified).  The rigger doesn't have to be close at all to help, they're doing everything through the drone.  The rigger is the drone, the drone is in the action, helping.

A rigger cocoon is mainly intended for bigger vehicles, or if the rigger wants to use an offline, direct-connection via a data cable.  It prevents hacking, but it stands out and doesn't make them immune to damage (so it's still possible for them to be hurt, just less likely).

Being potentially hacked is a fair concern, but there's ways to avoid it, and your team's hacker should be ready to deal with any enemy deckers as fast as possible, so pulling a Full Matrix Defense and biding time can work out for you.  It's worth mentioning that being able to be hacked is, in my opinion, a fair trade for being completely immune to mana spells, which include spells like Stunbolt, Control Actions, Control Thoughts, Mind Probe, (Non-Improved) Invisibility, and so on.  As well, you don't have an aura has some benefits.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <02-26-17/0232:03> »
as an alternative in bullets and bandages theres a dust off drone its supposed to be for transporting patients in high risk areas but a lot of people use it for personal transport vehicles as it flies pretty sure you could slap on some drone limbs on it if you really wanted to

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <02-26-17/0848:55> »
@Pap- Great build, that's basically what I did...  if you save 1 essence due to not taking Synapse, you can get away with Improved Reflex 1, karma 8, 12k nuyen (qi focus) for the same bonus.  Basically going magitech 'armor' or cyborgness.

Background count will drop your Qi Focus below the rating needed to keep Improved Reflexes running.  Also with a Magic of 1 you're going to have to be aware of Focus addiction tests, and you won't be able to use a Force 6 Qi Foci until after you raise your Magic anyway.  Max Foci is Magic times 5, and Improved Reflexes 1 is a Force 6 Qi Foci. 

Look at good ole Adrenaline Boost for your Adept PP, stacks with almost everything, even Boosted Reflexes.