NEWS

[5e] Draft design for a full cyborg character?

• 24 Replies

nerankori

• Newb
« on: <02-24-17/0002:19> »
Shadowrun doesn't have a neat set of rules for someone being a full-body cyborg,so I tried to draft something up in Chummer.

In particular,I figure that the enhanced agility and strength from cyberlimbs should allow for a reasonable level of competence in physical combat and other such challenges,so the rest is invested into matrix stuff.

The concept for the character,broadly,is that of a corp scientist who became obsessed with creating a full cyborg body that could be mass produced or custom made,and marketed to both civilians and soldiers. So they embezzled both money and resources to experiment on themselves,and were publically shamed and dismissed when found out. Subsequently,they run in order to further their research,and refine the capabilities of the body they built for themselves. (This is the explanation for the choice of skills/knowledges)

The only thing not yet covered in the sheet is non-cyber gear.

That said,this is obviously a first draft,and it won't see use in a real campaign anytime soon,so I'd obviously want to hear your thoughts on refining it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7bKsrZFgY3wbTNLVWJ3SXBpZms (PDF)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7bKsrZFgY3waUJYWVRRMFdma00 (Chummer file)
« Last Edit: <02-24-17/0004:56> by nerankori »

Rooks

• Omae

nerankori

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-24-17/0343:51> »
I did an outline of a cyborg body here as well https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U2seEcVXFFPOuiiVPonvRT3ht6-LtAvALGRcwxx5oSw/edit#gid=0
I don't appear to have permission to access that doc,maybe you could set it to "hidden but can be seen by people with the link"
« Last Edit: <02-24-17/0345:53> by nerankori »

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-24-17/1139:51> »

Myriad

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-24-17/2235:27> »
Nice document Rooks.

I was wondering about this, made a burnt out adept with all the cyber limbs/torso, grabbed a qi focus force 4, improved reflexes 1 (2) with it, etc.  Came out to a lot cheaper vs synaptic and minus the skull, was pretty decent on essence at 2.x something.

Took mentor spirit Chaos as well for the +physical limit (adept) which I think most cyber torso/limbs have a tough time with?  (unsure here, newbie at the system)

Mainly I wanted to use skimmers + wall running to just go super fast, and they were 'accident prone' and generally disliked vehicles in general as a theme.  Came out to decent limits and dice pools, though the skills were a bit rough.
« Last Edit: <02-24-17/2239:03> by Myriad »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #5 on: <02-25-17/0045:32> »
If you wanted to play a full-body cyborg, why not be a rigger with an anthrodrone?  Having an anthrodrone you're basically always rigging is surprisingly powerful...  It's easy to have seriously high initiative (like 12+5d6) and the bonuses from a control rig make it hella intense.  Your arms count as cyberlimbs for upgrades, and they still go as fast as cars for some reason.  You're immune to Stun damage (and can wear armor, meaning a simple Armor Jacket can make you immune to anything smaller than an Assault Rifle).  There's more benefits, I just can't think of any right this minute.

The main drawback is being able to be hacked, of course.  But that's not as big a problem as it sounds.  And, as long as you have a Garage asset as part of your Lifestyle, you don't have to spend as much money on repairing it.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

nerankori

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-25-17/0127:06> »
If you wanted to play a full-body cyborg, why not be a rigger with an anthrodrone?  Having an anthrodrone you're basically always rigging is surprisingly powerful...  It's easy to have seriously high initiative (like 12+5d6) and the bonuses from a control rig make it hella intense.  Your arms count as cyberlimbs for upgrades, and they still go as fast as cars for some reason.  You're immune to Stun damage (and can wear armor, meaning a simple Armor Jacket can make you immune to anything smaller than an Assault Rifle).  There's more benefits, I just can't think of any right this minute.

The main drawback is being able to be hacked, of course.  But that's not as big a problem as it sounds.  And, as long as you have a Garage asset as part of your Lifestyle, you don't have to spend as much money on repairing it.
The main issues I thought about are 5e not having much stuff on anthrodrones yet,as well as perpetually still having a vulnerable meat body,instead of just adding all that ware and upgrades onto the characters "real" body. But yes,I agree that's one way to go about it.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-25-17/0134:58> »
What else would you need besides what's in Rigger 5.0?  And your "vulnerable meat body" could be miles away; even your own teammates might not know your actual location or what you look like.  A rigger can easily get like...  6+ Noise Reduction; distance won't be an issue.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

nerankori

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <02-25-17/0139:41> »
What else would you need besides what's in Rigger 5.0?  And your "vulnerable meat body" could be miles away; even your own teammates might not know your actual location or what you look like.  A rigger can easily get like...  6+ Noise Reduction; distance won't be an issue.
I see,I haven't looked into Rigger 5.0 yet,I don't have access to many of the more recent materials. Thanks for bringing it up.

Myriad

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <02-25-17/0259:04> »
Anthro drone is nice.  Thought maybe a neoteny dwarf or gnome  in a rigger cocoon could work possibly if you wanted to be closer.  Could try and do the whole men in black or mecha thing

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-25-17/0310:14> »
To save you some trouble, Rigger 5.0 offers about five different anthrodrones and mentions a few extra features for them (all their limbs are drone cyberlimbs, and can be modified as such, anthrodrones have 8 + (1/2) BOD condition monitor boxes like metahumans, they can use metahuman equipment) as well as mods (drone-specific mods, and vehicle mods that drones can also get).  Extra stuff for riggers in general too, like the Target Device action to increase your offensive dice pools even more.

The anthrodrones are the Criado Juan (a dirt-cheap, 8000 nuyen anthrodrone with poor stats), the Horizon Little Buddy (an even cheaper drone at 2000, the size of a five year old), the MCT Kenchiku-Kikai (20,000 nuyen; the size of an ork, used for industrial work and comes with both arms at 8 STR), the NeoNET Juggernaut (too rare to start with, but it's a heavily armored riot-control drone that comes with two weapon mounts for 100,000), there's the hard-to-pronounce "SAEDER-KRUPP DIREKTIONSSEKRETAR" who's name I just copy-pasted (40,000 nuyen, but it's buyable in chargen and has some solid stats like the highest Speed of all anthrdrones), and the Shiawase I-Doll (20,000; comes with Realistic Features upgrade to look more human, but not enough to fool anyone without more upgrades or full-body clothing).

A solid variety of choices.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <02-25-17/0643:33> »
Nice document Rooks.

I was wondering about this, made a burnt out adept with all the cyber limbs/torso, grabbed a qi focus force 4, improved reflexes 1 (2) with it, etc.  Came out to a lot cheaper vs synaptic and minus the skull, was pretty decent on essence at 2.x something.

Took mentor spirit Chaos as well for the +physical limit (adept) which I think most cyber torso/limbs have a tough time with?  (unsure here, newbie at the system)

Mainly I wanted to use skimmers + wall running to just go super fast, and they were 'accident prone' and generally disliked vehicles in general as a theme.  Came out to decent limits and dice pools, though the skills were a bit rough.
think this one is it https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kOgvLrMEJ70S878h0XHphKc6NmarVKJeDwmMWQ3t3a4/edit?usp=sharing

Myriad

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <02-25-17/1225:09> »
@Firebug I think the problem is the intent (full cyborg, usually a combat monster) vs rules (drones are hella fragile).  Especially if you read the 'drones treat armor like clothing' strictly, even for anthro drones, to disallow armor or spending a lot of the mod points on armor or similar to get the same effect in a very fragile container.  So unfortunately, even if you get the drone that works out well for recon, there's something much more satisfying for a PC to be in the thick of things usually.

@Rooks, nice document again.  I still think an improved reflexes 1 + 1 from qi focus (8 karma + 12k nuyen) is the cheapest init upper rather than using synaptic booster 1 or 2 (190k/2k = 95 karma).  Otherwise, I'd go full ware as well.  Only need to keep 2 magic which is doable with an odd setup of Att E, Magic B, Resource A, Meta D, Skill C (doing this off memory) when I built it.  Using the mentor spirit for +2 physical potential so your phys checks aren't anemic.

Just to clarify though, can you even take adapsin on creation?  I am still a bit fuzzy on the rules.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <02-25-17/1340:30> »
lol ya make your cybernetic body your qi focus

also theres a list of drones here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8beo2cj953po35f/SR5%20TOOL%20Equipment%2C%20Drones%20%28buyable%29%2C%20Compiled%20List.pdf?dl=0

also theres a transys maid drone for like 8k in stolen souls for 12k you can get it to look human and wear an armored jacket (since it doesnt have any armor to begin with)

Myriad

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <02-25-17/1613:41> »
Nice.  Don't have that book.   Does it bypass the uncanny valley or still always considered rigger inside the drone for the watlam check?