NEWS

Decker Contacts?

• 7 Replies

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« on: <02-19-17/0859:32> »
What kind of contact would let a decker buy cyberdecks, commlinks, electronics accessories, and cyberprograms without an availability test?

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <02-19-17/1331:41> »
None following RAW. But rules for contacts are stupid. Ask your GM.

A hardware/electronics  supplier of some sort seems fitting. Can be a guy with a legitimate electronics store that sells stuff "on the side" (Most things on your list are legal). Could be a person inside MCT, NeoNET or Renraku (or less powerful corps specialized in electronics).  Maybe a decker with contacts in the decker community selling used equipment from others that are upgrading.

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-19-17/2018:55> »
None following RAW. But rules for contacts are stupid. Ask your GM.

A hardware/electronics  supplier of some sort seems fitting. Can be a guy with a legitimate electronics store that sells stuff "on the side" (Most things on your list are legal). Could be a person inside MCT, NeoNET or Renraku (or less powerful corps specialized in electronics).  Maybe a decker with contacts in the decker community selling used equipment from others that are upgrading.

Those are good suggestions. That last one sounds like a bit of a cop-out, so I'll probably refer to him as a "used electronics dealer". A corrupt corper sounds like an interesting one too, maybe a guy who "loses" product or goes a bit overboard with his employee discount.

I would go to my GM first, but he's a busy guy and running SR is hard, so I want to come to him with suggestions and save him some trouble.

north

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-20-17/0346:25> »
For high quality stuff, you may want a military quartermaster or supply Sargent.  Stuff "brakes in training" all the time.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-20-17/0739:01> »
Availability Tests arent to "let" a person sell it to you, Availability Tests are to now wait for it, find out if said item is even available for sale. Also what kind of contact sells Decks and Deck Accessories?

·         Deckmeister:  A deckmeister is the emperor of a small, nerdy kingdom.  He’s the guy with the gear, as far as deckers are concerned.  A deckmeister either has, can get, or can build any deck component or program you may need.  If he can’t write the code, he’ll steal it, as he’s often a decent decker himself.  Always on top of the top of the line SOTA computer equipment, and knowledgeable about matrix doings and matrix gangs, the deckmeister is a must for any decker character.  He can fence decks, programs, and paydata, but usually won’t dirty his hands with more physical things.

Next question

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <02-20-17/2047:31> »
·         Deckmeister:  A deckmeister is the emperor of a small, nerdy kingdom.  He’s the guy with the gear, as far as deckers are concerned.  A deckmeister either has, can get, or can build any deck component or program you may need.  If he can’t write the code, he’ll steal it, as he’s often a decent decker himself.  Always on top of the top of the line SOTA computer equipment, and knowledgeable about matrix doings and matrix gangs, the deckmeister is a must for any decker character.  He can fence decks, programs, and paydata, but usually won’t dirty his hands with more physical things.

Next question

Is this a thing in the rules or lore? Either way I love it and I'm going to give my decker a deckmeister contact.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-21-17/0141:40> »
Its in the older version

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <02-21-17/1233:35> »
Its in the older version

That's good enough for me.