NEWS

Reworking Flashbangs

• 5 Replies

Syllabea

• Newb
« on: <11-08-16/1345:42> »
A few months ago, the current campaign was halted by a mystery runner snitching on the group, causing their months-long-planned run to come to a screeching halt. We've recently picked the campaign up again, and I've introduced the runner that screwed them over.

Last session, I put the group on a small go-kill-this-small-time-ganger run, and they met an imposing Ork in an Oni mask that goes by the handle of 'Salaryman'. Their sniper beamed Salaryman his contact information and they left. The same day, their hacker buddy come over and insists on meeting in a Faraday Caged room, which they do. He explains that he's found the person that screwed them over previously. This guy's on at least 4 corporation payrolls, and he gets the majority of his cash ratting out other Runners. He's a slippery and paranoid sort of person, the kind of guy that moves locations every few days, but he made a small mistake that let him be tracked, just barely, to a location in Snohomish. The hacker tells the group his handle: Salaryman.

A mile out from the location they encounter a minefield, there's two electrified fences around a small abandoned military outpost with a no-man's-land in between, and bouncing bettys around the immediate perimeter. They take out the breaker box and the maglock disengages, letting hem into the small outpost. Eventually they find a trap door into what's going to be an expansive bunker, which is going to be absolutely loaded with booby traps.

While looking through the grenades and such, i saw that the flashbangs do 10S worth of damage, and i thought that doesn't sound right. I'm thinking of changing it so that when one goes off, your Perception skill takes a penalty, and any overflow passed your skill (Not including their Intuition) will bleed into their stun  track, which will be healed when everyone rolls initiative again.

For example, if someone has a Perception of 6 and they get hit with a flashbang, their Perception becomes 0 and they take 4 boxes of temporary stun damage. They'll take penalties of Total Darkness/Blind for the duration of the round in addition to the 4 boxes.

Salaryman will be roaming the halls with a Krime Cannon, using his insane hiding skills, waiting for the traps to be tripped before moving out from a corner, taking a shot, and darting away. Example traps would be a false tripwire that's easy to see and disarm only to have a pressure plate passed the false tripwire that releases a bouquet of flashbangs which Salaryman will be listening for, or a hallway filled with crisscrossing monofilament wires.

What do you all think of  the grenade rework for my game? Any ideas for more traps?

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #1 on: <11-08-16/1522:22> »
Have you ever experienced flashbangs? They are for disorientation, through both sound and light. To me, the 10 stun works because anything the target does not soak increases his stun damage, which represents disorientation, bruising, and other non-lethal damage. Having any damage bleed over get healed that fast does not work for me. With that said, if you want a sight modifier, then just have them move five steps down the vision chart, reduced by successes on a perception test, to represent how much of the flash they got straight to the eyeballs. Flare comp helps. As for traps, I always like the series of identical rooms with a black/white checkerboard floor. Just have each room wired differently, such as in one room stepping on black and white causes "X" stun damage, and the next room stepping on white only does it, and the room after that stepping on black only does it, etc. Good luck.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-08-16/2000:37> »
Consider using Environmental Modifiers. It's a damn shame that they exist in 5e, and then flashpaks, flashbangs, noizquitos, etc don't use them in favour of their own custom penalties and damage.

There should also be a 'Sound' category for Environmental Modifiers. (Noise is taken, unfortunately, and I don't favour using the same terms multiple times)

If there are two or more environmental modifiers tied for most severe, bump the modifier up a category.
If flashbangs create a Glare and Sound penalty of -6 each, then that is replaced by a single penalty of the next higher category (-10) for targets that are hit by both effects.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #3 on: <11-08-16/2022:33> »
There should also be a 'Sound' category for Environmental Modifiers. (Noise is taken, unfortunately, and I don't favour using the same terms multiple times)

I humbly submit "Acoustics" (which can describe modifications to sound clarity, including Amplifying or Dampening sound).
"You haven't truly lived until you've had a Cortex bomb!" ~Former GM

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #4 on: <11-10-16/0503:55> »
Huh.  I thought what you're talking about was a concussion grenade.  A proper flashbang would be a combined concussion/flash grenade - since the flash grenades have the rules for the perception mods right there ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-10-16/1738:28> »
concussion grenade
Flashbang.
flash grenade
Flashpak.

At least, that's what I assume you mean.

since the flash grenades paks have the rules for the perception mods right there
Which sit oddly and uncomfortably next to the system-given rules for extremely bright lights; 173-175 for reference.