NEWS

Chase Scene

• 3 Replies

pariah3j

• Newb
« on: <10-13-16/1328:09> »
So here is the rundown:

I have a planned chase scene in one my upcoming missions. The players have been hired to provide 'muscle' for a smuggler run that takes them into the Salish-Shidhe territory and then have to smuggle the mcguffin back into Seattle. I have a planned ambush as they cross back into Seattle. The players will be outgunned and need to flee in order to survive, while the ambushers will follow in pursuit. Originally while I was coming up with the run, the party did not have a driver/rigger, so I was just going to handwave and make the driving part cinematic. Since then one of the players decided to make a rigger, so I want to give them the chance to have a moment in the spot light so to speak. And, I would like to still try and keep the cinematic feel for the chase.
Since I have a rigger, I'm going to have the smuggler get killed or captured at the cross over. The ambushers will have taken control of the check-point and instead of waiving them through, request the smuggler get out of the vehicle. Believing she has already payed off the guard at the check point, she gets out to confront him, only to be killed(possibly captured) as it is not her contact. I am planning on doing this for a couple reasons, the players won't know who to deliver the mcguffin to, and will now have to fend for themselves while trying to figure out their next step.

I am currently working on an Excel sheet with various obstructions and events that can happen randomly/suddenly while making their getaway. I have it broke down into Off-Road/Back Streets/Main Roads/Highway - as I see each one of these categories would have different obstructions and events. I was wondering if someone has already done something like this ? Or if not possibly some suggestions on things to add/use ?

And as always, any thoughts/ideas in general to the run would be appreciated as well.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #1 on: <10-13-16/1739:58> »
Weeelllll...first up, good on you for being so bold as to engage one of the most flaky, number-crunchy and potentially confusing aspects of Shadowrun.

I do a lot of "Area type encounters" like you do, since one factor I cannot reliably control is the route and actions the players will take.

A few "rules" I adhere to:
-Glitches on a driving test always trigger an appropriately dire (or comedic) response., relative to their zone. These may have unexpectedly beneficial consequences.
(a chase through Seattle's storm drain system ended with my players slipping away from enemy thugs, due to pissing off a major ghoul nest)

-Track the player's vehicle's damage and speed carefully (NPCs'), since penalties to driving apply to any attempts at avoiding/mitigating a crash.
-Slipping a tail becomes INFINITELY EASIER when there's no aerial or drone support. Conversely, the players should have a hard time getting off the drag net.
-Remember who is chasing whom, and who may respond in kind, with or without the players' provocation.
-With the right spells, a mage can end most chase scenes immediately with little effort. I will emphasize that this can work both ways.
\-On a related note, "geek the mage first" is noticeably trickier when you can't easily spot him. Most vehicles provide cover, and it only takes but a moment for a mage popping up to work their mojo.
-Even after a chase is over, remember the condition of the vehicle. Unless they're rolling around the Seattle Barrens or somewhere equally unpleasant, people are going to notice the scorch marks and bullet holes in your runners' ride.
"You haven't truly lived until you've had a Cortex bomb!" ~Former GM

pariah3j

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-17-16/1615:47> »
So this is what I worked up in Excel: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bx9g12Byxnm6U0d1b1ZNSWp3dFk?usp=sharing

I would love to add more % options and break down random events even further, but I've having a little writers block for coming up with other ideas.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <10-29-16/0748:06> »
couple more off road hazards for you

Road blocked (tree, dead animal, herd)

On coming tractor trailer (think logging truck)

highwaymen (there to ambush/rob motorists)

For your last highway one...

Accident! (1 or more vehicles involved in a crash)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.