NEWS

Altarraum Dossier - Order of Free Drakes and Lord Quecksilber

• 47 Replies

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« on: <09-28-16/0622:06> »
This is part of the dossier on Altarraum that I'm putting together for the mission I'm building.

Leader: Lord Michael Quecksilber
Purpose: To locate, rescue, and protect drakes.

Not really a threat unless the players are specifically working for a GD against the Order, it is still something that should be mentioned, as any drakes within the party will certainly be approached by them. Founded shortly after Lord Michael Quecksilber was appointed the title of Lord Steward by the Queen, the Order of Free Drakes (or OFD for short) has quickly spread around the world. While only perhaps a dozen free drakes are actual “official” members of the OFD, the organization makes heavy use of shadowrunners to find drakes that have been forced into hiding, and bring them to Altarraum unharmed. Make note of that last word. Lord Quecksilber does not want the drakes hurt, and will in fact be quite furious should the runners fail in that respect.

The Lord Steward is himself a western drake of considerable strength and magical power, and applies both liberally when angered. He appears as a tall human male with black hair and deep blue eyes with silver flecks. His skin is a light golden tan, which betrays his half-Persian ethnicity. He is usually dressed in the latest Mortimer of London styles, and walks with a Trafalger gun cane (which he can use quite effectively). He walks with a pronounced limp due to an old injury, hence the cane. He has a stern, but kindly demeanor, and a playful sense of humor. He is well-educated and charismatic, and is for the most part trustworthy.

His position within the Altarraumian government also grants him diplomatic immunity in all but a select few places (the most notable exception being Aztlan, which does not formally recognize Altarraum as an independent nation). This caused quite the stir when the OFD extracted a drake right out from under Ghostwalker’s snout in the UCAS district of Denver. Ghostwalker was furious at what he saw as a theft, and Lord Quecksilber replied with a diplomatic and tactful version of “Go frag yourself. People aren't property.”. Lord Quecksilber and the King Consort are on friendly terms, having bonded over their mutual hatred of the great white wizwyrm, and the Queen trusts the Lord Steward completely. So much so, in fact, that she leaves him in charge of Altarraum’s day-to-day operations during her frequent travels.

He makes good use of his power, wealth, and influence to fund and operate the OFD. While no one is exactly certain what he offers to the drakes that are brought to him, very few have ever told him no. Those that have refused him, have still enjoyed a small measure of protection from the Order’s massive network of spies. Many of Lord Quecksilber’s “Little Birdies” are the former contacts of his late parents. While they all have their own reasons for working for the OFD, they all have the same drive to see drakes freed from the life of servitude foisted upon them by the simple misfortune of being what they are.

Rumors have begun to circulate through the shadow communities that the Lord Steward is actually building an army of free drakes in preparation for a full-scale rebellion against the great dragons. However, when informed of this rumor, Quecksilber laughed the informant out of his office. The informant was found dead in Munich, just outside of Altarraum’s northern border a few days later. The killer was never found, and Lord Quecksilber does not seem terribly motivated to solve the mystery.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #1 on: <09-29-16/0013:27> »
Well, that sounds like my kind of conspiracy.  It takes pretty massive balls to tell the Great Dragons to keep out, and the free drakes other options probably aren't all that great anyway.
"You haven't truly lived until you've had a Cortex bomb!" ~Former GM

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-29-16/0204:10> »
Well, that sounds like my kind of conspiracy.  It takes pretty massive balls to tell the Great Dragons to keep out, and the free drakes other options probably aren't all that great anyway.

Frag your heliocentric model of the solar system. It in fact revolves around Quecksilber's giant orichalcum balls. ;D

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-29-16/2021:13> »
Something I just realized I left out, and is hugely important for your character specifically, Dwagonzahn.

Quecksilber has a wife, who is not a drake. She is the reason why he is so loyal to the queen. She was being held hostage by none other than...Drumroll please...

Ghostwalker, who captured her during the conflict that also killed Quecksilber's parents.

The queen offered her help in rescuing Quecksilber's wife in exchange for his loyalty and intel. She doesn't have a name yet, beyond simply "Lady Quecksilber", but she's a non-awakened elf who was left deeply traumatized by her time as GW's prisoner. He is ferociously protective of her, and she is a constant reminder of what he's fighting for.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #4 on: <09-29-16/2036:45> »
Something I just realized I left out, and is hugely important for your character specifically, Dwagonzahn.

Quecksilber has a wife, who is not a drake. She is the reason why he is so loyal to the queen. She was being held hostage by none other than...Drumroll please...

Ghostwalker, who captured her during the conflict that also killed Quecksilber's parents.

The queen offered her help in rescuing Quecksilber's wife in exchange for his loyalty and intel. She doesn't have a name yet, beyond simply "Lady Quecksilber", but she's a non-awakened elf who was left deeply traumatized by her time as GW's prisoner. He is ferociously protective of her, and she is a constant reminder of what he's fighting for.

Well that's...horrifying and definitely in line with what I'd expect from a half-in-the-bag great dragon (thanks Zebulon -_-).

But, if I'm reading this right, Lady Quecksilber managed to escape Ghostwalker.
Hmm. I wonder how that heist went down... ::)

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-29-16/2213:22> »
Well that's...horrifying and definitely in line with what I'd expect from a half-in-the-bag great dragon (thanks Zebulon -_-).

But, if I'm reading this right, Lady Quecksilber managed to escape Ghostwalker.
Hmm. I wonder how that heist went down... ::)

Still working on the details of that heist, but I can't imagine it wouldn't involve some amount of wetwork. He had that woman locked up tighter than Crater Lake. Right as poor Michael thought he was getting close, she'd vanish. Drove him absolutely batty.

Right now my brain is so fried from writing Heart of Gold, and the Altarraum Dossier, and the associated mission 'Where Loyalties Lies' that I can't even think of a decent name for the poor girl. Right now she's just the cute blonde naked chick in the background during a telecom call in Heart of Gold. -head desk-

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #6 on: <09-30-16/2139:07> »
Still working on the details of that heist, but I can't imagine it wouldn't involve some amount of wetwork. He had that woman locked up tighter than Crater Lake. Right as poor Michael thought he was getting close, she'd vanish. Drove him absolutely batty.

Right now my brain is so fried from writing Heart of Gold, and the Altarraum Dossier, and the associated mission 'Where Loyalties Lies' that I can't even think of a decent name for the poor girl. Right now she's just the cute blonde naked chick in the background during a telecom call in Heart of Gold. -head desk-

I know the feeling. Tonight, I need to write up the rest of the module for my SR5 session tomorrow night.
Afterwards, I'll probably keep rolling around ideas for how one pulls an extraction heist on a Great Dragon's lair and wins (well, without being Harlequin that is, but he can basically do whatever he wants).
It's a good thought exercise if nothing else!

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-30-16/2238:40> »

I know the feeling. Tonight, I need to write up the rest of the module for my SR5 session tomorrow night.
Afterwards, I'll probably keep rolling around ideas for how one pulls an extraction heist on a Great Dragon's lair and wins (well, without being Harlequin that is, but he can basically do whatever he wants).
It's a good thought exercise if nothing else!

Update: Decided her name is Susanna, and that she originally hails from the CAS.

Harlequin might possibly help with a heist against GW. Even if for no other reason than to go "neener neener neener!" while throwing up twin universal signs of contempt. I can see him being that level of petty against someone he so thoroughly despises.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #8 on: <09-30-16/2337:41> »
Update: Decided her name is Susanna, and that she originally hails from the CAS.

Did she cry for thee, with a banjo on thy knee?  ;D
Referential humor aside, it's a fine name. (I absolutely hate naming characters; never satisfied with it)

Harlequin might possibly help with a heist against GW. Even if for no other reason than to go "neener neener neener!" while throwing up twin universal signs of contempt. I can see him being that level of petty against someone he so thoroughly despises.

Oh he has plenty of motivation, but I wager he'd go the extra mile to make sure he gets something out of it. I've never pictured any immortal being (not even Harlequin) as being truly altruistic with their immense power.
There's bound to be something...I mean, how often does one get a chance to root around a Great Dragon's lair?

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-01-16/0020:04> »

Did she cry for thee, with a banjo on thy knee?  ;D
Referential humor aside, it's a fine name. (I absolutely hate naming characters; never satisfied with it)

Oh he has plenty of motivation, but I wager he'd go the extra mile to make sure he gets something out of it. I've never pictured any immortal being (not even Harlequin) as being truly altruistic with their immense power.
There's bound to be something...I mean, how often does one get a chance to root around a Great Dragon's lair?

I'm so glad someone caught the reference.

Hmm, let's see here. I doubt he's self-destructive enough to go so far as to swipe/destroy an egg, or something major like that. Maybe one of the artifacts from the Dawn of the Artifacts campaign?

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #10 on: <10-01-16/0031:27> »

Hmm, let's see here. I doubt he's self-destructive enough to go so far as to swipe/destroy an egg, or something major like that. Maybe one of the artifacts from the Dawn of the Artifacts campaign?

Hmmm...swiping an egg or three now there's an idea. I'm thinking "Hostage exchange".
"Turn over Susanna or I'm putting your progeny on a comically large Roulette wheel, and sending them off to other great dragons by random chance and azimuth."

Harlequin might not do that...but my runner sure as hell would if pushed hard enough.
(he has a fair bit in Gambling skills, as his name might suggest; he had to make use of that temporary insane luck streak somehow)

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-01-16/0050:56> »

Hmmm...swiping an egg or three now there's an idea. I'm thinking "Hostage exchange".
"Turn over Susanna or I'm putting your progeny on a comically large Roulette wheel, and sending them off to other great dragons by random chance and azimuth."

Harlequin might not do that...but my runner sure as hell would if pushed hard enough.
(he has a fair bit in Gambling skills, as his name might suggest; he had to make use of that temporary insane luck streak somehow)

If he can actually move one of those things. If memory serves, dragon eggs are about the size of your average human and weigh upwards of a hundred pounds. Now, attaching small charges of C4 and threatening to blow the eggs apart (or just holding a detonator in his hand and using that insane luck to bluff that he did)?

Heck, the entire mission I'm working on pretty much ends with Maisie and Harlequin taking advantage of GW's desperation to make a point. As Frosty so eloquently put it. "Do not meddle with Immortals, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #12 on: <10-01-16/0108:47> »
If he can actually move one of those things. If memory serves, dragon eggs are about the size of your average human and weigh upwards of a hundred pounds.

Weeeeelll...he has 10 STR and 7 BODY in Drake form (he had more under SR3 rules, but eeehhhh...), which gives a base of 100 kg (~220 lbs), and an average of 150 kg (330 lbs) on Carrying Tests.
I think he could easily carry one, which is good because he'd need to run his little drake tail off as soon as he gets ahold of one. (three is straight out though)

Now, attaching small charges of C4 and threatening to blow the eggs apart (or just holding a detonator in his hand and using that insane luck to bluff that he did)?

He is VERY good at bluffing, but I'm guessing great dragons are better at calling.

Heck, the entire mission I'm working on pretty much ends with Maisie and Harlequin taking advantage of GW's desperation to make a point. As Frosty so eloquently put it. "Do not meddle with Immortals, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

It's what I'd prey upon to wring anything out the old white wyrm...only none of my characters have any leverage (well, none that isn't self-defeating), even if they have the motivation.
But that's what cheesed off immortal elves are for!

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <10-01-16/0134:58> »
If he can actually move one of those things. If memory serves, dragon eggs are about the size of your average human and weigh upwards of a hundred pounds.

Weeeeelll...he has 10 STR and 7 BODY in Drake form (he had more under SR3 rules, but eeehhhh...), which gives a base of 100 kg (~220 lbs), and an average of 150 kg (330 lbs) on Carrying Tests.
I think he could easily carry one, which is good because he'd need to run his little drake tail off as soon as he gets ahold of one. (three is straight out though)

Now, attaching small charges of C4 and threatening to blow the eggs apart (or just holding a detonator in his hand and using that insane luck to bluff that he did)?

He is VERY good at bluffing, but I'm guessing great dragons are better at calling.

It's what I'd prey upon to wring anything out the old white wyrm...only none of my characters have any leverage (well, none that isn't self-defeating), even if they have the motivation.
But that's what cheesed off immortal elves are for!

Don't try to bring that egg into Altarraum though. Altarraum was still a very young nation when Quecksilber's wife was rescued (only a couple of years old, in fact), and still trying to build up it's military might. It would be in no condition to fight off a furious great dragon, and Maisie would be well aware of that fact. Harlequin himself has a strong personal desire to see the kingdom thrive (He has his own plans for it), and if he believes you've become too great a risk to it's survival, he'll kill you himself before you can say "oops".

Now, Altarraum is much older and much, MUCH stronger when "Where Loyalties Lie" starts up, making the egg theft a more viable option. Good luck getting it from Denver to what used to be Bavaria, though. You'll definitely need Quecksilber's help there.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #14 on: <10-01-16/0301:10> »
Don't try to bring that egg into Altarraum though. Altarraum was still a very young nation when Quecksilber's wife was rescued (only a couple of years old, in fact), and still trying to build up it's military might. It would be in no condition to fight off a furious great dragon, and Maisie would be well aware of that fact. Harlequin himself has a strong personal desire to see the kingdom thrive (He has his own plans for it), and if he believes you've become too great a risk to it's survival, he'll kill you himself before you can say "oops".

Crossing the sea with the egg would be suicidal logistics anyway. Too many ways it can be intercepted. Too vulnerable.
The best plan would be to put it into just enough immediate danger that Ghostwalker can't ignore it, but not secure it quite so far away that he'd prefer the long game and a much larger retaliation to get it back.

Hmm...I wonder if the Great Sea Dragon would grace New Orleans with her presence for another egg. He would have to barter very hard with her to get it back. ;p
I don't need to actually call her there, but I could threaten to do so if Ghostwalker decides not to play nice. It's a bluff he can't afford to call wrong, as he'd have to pay through the snout and then some to get the egg back from her.

The biggest hurdle is setting up the meet.

Now, Altarraum is much older and much, MUCH stronger when "Where Loyalties Lie" starts up, making the egg theft a more viable option. Good luck getting it from Denver to what used to be Bavaria, though. You'll definitely need Quecksilber's help there.
I'd need his help with any heist. My drake is a decent plotter, but he is certainly no immortal. They play on an entirely different level.