NEWS

[SR5] Removing cultured bioware

• 23 Replies

El Diablo

• Newb
« on: <01-25-16/1121:36> »
Hey, hello.

I am just curious: Is there any way to remove a cultured bioware? Be it a Ritual, some kind of surgery or even divine intervention. If something like that appears in any novel I am interested as well.

Thanks.
Booyah!

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-25-16/1126:40> »
Cultured bioware just means it was grown with your DNA. It was still implanted, it can still be removed surgically. If you can remove natural organs with surgery, there's no reason to think you can't remove ware.
Playability > verisimilitude.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-25-16/1132:44> »
Cultured bioware just means it was grown with your DNA. It was still implanted, it can still be removed surgically. If you can remove natural organs with surgery, there's no reason to think you can't remove ware.

Then let's speak about Boosted Reflexes, Chrome Flesh, page 118.

It should be noted that, due to the nature of
the modification, boosted reflexes may not be removed
once installed, and they are incompatible with any other
Initiative-modifying augmentation.
Booyah!

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #3 on: <01-25-16/1137:10> »

It should be noted that, due to the nature of the modification, boosted reflexes may not be removed once installed, and they are incompatible with any other Initiative-modifying augmentation.
Specific beats general. In this one case, it works differently. Moving on.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-25-16/1142:37> »

It should be noted that, due to the nature of the modification, boosted reflexes may not be removed once installed, and they are incompatible with any other Initiative-modifying augmentation.

... And that's why I wonder if there's some obscure knwoledge available or something. Be it a novel or anything in the world of Shadowrun.
Booyah!

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-25-16/1148:36> »

... And that's why I wonder if there's some obscure knwoledge available or something. Be it a novel or anything in the world of Shadowrun.
Not to my knowledge.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-25-16/1210:20> »
Boosted Reflexes has always been a Neuro Chemical Procedure that affects the patients brain as a whole ergo why its not able to be removed nor enchanced with other init boosting or used with a control rig? (unless thats the older editions of SR) (still miss other levels of boosted reflexes) *glares at Catalyst*

PJ

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <01-25-16/1239:33> »
There was an old novel, forget the name, that had a protagonist troll Sammie turned shaman.  In order to channel the required magic to defeat the enemy, some spirit forced all his cyberware out to make him a proper magical conduit.

It was interesting to say the least.

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #8 on: <01-25-16/1244:29> »
There was an old novel, forget the name, that had a protagonist troll Sammie turned shaman.  In order to channel the required magic to defeat the enemy, some spirit forced all his cyberware out to make him a proper magical conduit.

A vampire could do the same thing. Regeneration rejects and forces the implants out. And then Essence Drain refills what was lost.

In the case of the Spirit, they were probably possessing or channeling or something. So it was really the Spirit's Essence, no longer being suppressed by all the chrome in the way.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-25-16/1310:17> »
Best of all: There is a drug that gives you regeneration. A really mean way to neuter the sam...
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <01-25-16/1406:54> »

Ooooh! Very interesting. Anything else you could remember?

Best of all: There is a drug that gives you regeneration. A really mean way to neuter the sam...

Do you have the drug name? Or the book where it appears?

Edit: Found it. Chrome Flesh. Too bad it removes 0.1 Essence. Unless you use Revitalization, I suppose.

Regeneration is incompatible with augmentations. Critters with Regeneration cannot receive augmentations; surgical incisions close too quickly to perform the implantation. Critters with augmentations who gain this power will reject their augmentations as the power repairs the existing genetic template.

Does this means you may remove ... Boosted Reflexes? I know it says "Damage to the brain or spinal cord (for example, a called shot to the head) can’t be healed this way."
« Last Edit: <01-25-16/1525:55> by El Diablo »
Booyah!

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #11 on: <01-25-16/1605:56> »
I don't have Chrome Flesh in front of me, to see the exact wording of Boosted Reflexes. But the impression I'm getting is that it's not some foreign body being implanted into yours. It's a genetic alteration making your body respond differently.

In which case, Regeneration isn't going to try and purge it, since it's "a part of you".

Basically, when it says "Boosted Reflexes may not be removed once installed", you should take it at that and walk away.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-25-16/1622:02> »
It's not genetic; that would come under geneware.
Amplification of the spinal cord and a general expansion of the nervous system
It's cultured extra spinal cord and nervous system tissue.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <01-25-16/1631:13> »
Yes, very cheesy, I know.

It's not genetic; that would come under geneware.
Amplification of the spinal cord and a general expansion of the nervous system
It's cultured extra spinal cord and nervous system tissue.

Thank you.
Booyah!

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-25-16/1635:13> »
Basically, when it says "Boosted Reflexes may not be removed once installed", you should take it at that and walk away.
Specific rules also trump general, and the rule for BR is obviously specific.