NEWS

Project Monad

• 37 Replies

adzling

« Reply #15 on: <01-27-16/2125:49> »
The ones that took over the Gagarin base on Mars iirc.

cyclopean

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <01-30-16/1601:26> »
Correct. They're calling other head-cases to join them, and have sent some secret messages/threats to the Corporate Court to get access to space travel. They also issued a public manifesto. There's a writeup by Plan9 in the tail end of Chrome Flesh that deals with all this stuff.

eximius

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <02-12-16/0133:27> »
What, no mention of the category theory variant of the Monad?

It is where the Order of Hask-ell draw their power......

:P

iduno

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <02-25-16/1420:05> »
Knowing our crafty writers, and how they like to twist things:

Monad:
The term monad comes from the Greek feminine noun monas (nominative singular, μονάς), "one unit," where the ending -s in the nominative form resolves to the ending -d in declension.[1]

In some gnostic systems the Supreme Being is known as the Monad, the One, The Absolute Aiōn teleos (The Perfect Aeon, αἰών τέλεος), Bythos (Depth or Profundity, Βυθός), Proarchē (Before the Beginning, προαρχή), and Hē Archē (The Beginning, ἡ ἀρχή) and The ineffable parent. The One is the high source of the pleroma, the region of light. The various emanations of The One are called Aeons.

According to Theodoret's book on heresies (Haereticarum Fabularum Compendium i.18) the Arab Christian Monoimus (150-210) used the term Monad to mean the highest god which created lesser gods, or elements (similar to Aeons). In some versions of Christian gnosticism, especially those deriving from Valentinius, a lesser deity known as the Demiurge had a role in the creation of the material world in addition to the role of the Monad. In these forms of gnosticism, the God of the Old Testament is often considered to have been the Demiurge, not the Monad, or sometimes different passages are interpreted as referring to each.

(note the bold, underline and italicized)

.... So, are they looking for the mythical "Great Digital creator" of Technomancers?

Finding the creator of Technomancers/Otaku, who coincidentally happens to to be involved with the start of CFD? I know sometimes things happen because the plot requires it, but that'd require quite a bit of Deus ex machina...

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #19 on: <02-25-16/1432:09> »
You really think so?

Look at all the religions in the world today, and their beliefs and power they wield.

You really think that a group of technos wouldn't come to believe there is a literal GOD in the matrix, and the path to absolution lies in finding him??

And that is just the 'mundane' line many religions/cults feed their followers IRL..... (aliens behind the astroid in 1997, the Rapture of 2012, need I go on?)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #20 on: <02-29-16/1920:26> »
.... So, are they looking for the mythical "Great Digital creator" of Technomancers?
Finding the creator of Technomancers/Otaku, who coincidentally happens to to be involved with the start of CFD? I know sometimes things happen because the plot requires it, but that'd require quite a bit of Deus ex machina...

Just in case it's misunderstood - Deus was nowhere near being a creator of technomancers.  He used them, and those who had not previously been technomancers before the Arcology found themselves without any abilities.  In addition, it seems to me that the CFD 'Deus' code was wholly-created (or at least in part re-created) and loaded into / meshed with the 'Eliohann/Cerebus' CFD-code, which would make it definitely not Deus itself.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #21 on: <02-29-16/2257:15> »
Well, since it is Pax we're talking about here, it is easily within the realm of possibility that she went to the Endless Archive and stole a copy of Deus's code.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #22 on: <03-01-16/0207:38> »
Honestly, that'd be like going to Fort Knox and stealing, well, Fort Knox itself.  I'm not saying it'd be impossible, but Deus was ... a lot more than just a couple of dataterminals' worth of programming, you know?  IMO, Cham Lam Won's Mousetrap could really have only extracted the critical pieces - essentially the 'hard-locked' portions, which were absolutely essential (vital organs, as it were) for Deus's existence.  That is, of course, only an opinion, but Deus was - remains, I think - the largest interrelated and interdependent coding project in SR's history.

That said, well - we'll see how it pans out.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-01-16/0232:44> »
Well, all of Deus existed on the Matrix, and everything that was ever in the Matrix ends up in the Archive. The hard part is finding what you want in the endless archive, but given enough time (or getting sprites to do the work for you), getting the information is possible. Once you locate Deus, getting his code out is the same as with any other program, though the scale is larger. Most people wouldn't go through all that trouble, but this IS Pax we're talking about. Insane hatred backed by the most powerful user of Dissonance that we know of makes it more likely that she would get the real deal rather than settle for a cheap copy. Putting a cardboard cutout in there instead of the real Deus would cheapen her revenge. And make no mistake, while Pax's prime motivation is still preserving/enhancing her abilities and drinking in all the UV nodes she can, she'd love a chance to not only advance her plans, but set her former master up as the fall guy (and preferably kill him all over again).

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #24 on: <03-01-16/0329:56> »
Well, all of Deus existed on the Matrix, and everything that was ever in the Matrix ends up in the Archive. The hard part is finding what you want in the endless archive, but given enough time (or getting sprites to do the work for you), getting the information is possible. Once you locate Deus, getting his code out is the same as with any other program, though the scale is larger. Most people wouldn't go through all that trouble, but this IS Pax we're talking about. Insane hatred backed by the most powerful user of Dissonance that we know of makes it more likely that she would get the real deal rather than settle for a cheap copy. Putting a cardboard cutout in there instead of the real Deus would cheapen her revenge. And make no mistake, while Pax's prime motivation is still preserving/enhancing her abilities and drinking in all the UV nodes she can, she'd love a chance to not only advance her plans, but set her former master up as the fall guy (and preferably kill him all over again).

yea...

Do you know how vast that actually is?? Do you have any idea the VOLUME of the Archive? The sheer size of the archive is so vast, with new info added at a geometric scale all the time! the archive sorts and stores every piece of input ever in its library. Every tweet, every pic, every keystroke, every transaction. Heck, it MAY even store every equation and solution!

To give you a small idea: https://web-assets.domo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/15_domo_data-never-sleeps-3_final1.png   This is from August 2015, and is in just a single minute! Now transfer that into bits and bytes.

Now trying to sort through ALL that for a snip of code here, and block there.

The only thing I can think of that even comes close would be building a sand castle out of perfect spheres of silica, that you have hand sorted out from ALL the sand on the planet. Yes, in theory could do it; the time it would take would be measured in centuries. Especially since the mass of the earth is constantly increasing due to stellar debris. (very slowly, granted)

Something else is going on.... what that is, I have no idea at this time.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <03-01-16/0629:15> »
Hasn't Pax been busy setting up Dissonance pools and using Ex Pacis for some nefarious purpose? Who knows what Dissonance is capable of, after all; Deus touched by Dissonance is a frightening possibility if you ask me.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #26 on: <03-01-16/0656:23> »
While that is very scary I'm honestly sick of hearing about him/it. It's the third edition where it makes its appearance. Move along already!
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <03-01-16/1341:24> »
Reaver, when you're searching the Archive, you're not going line by line through the code, or even the file names. You're basically doing a web search, or contracting a sprite to do the search for you. There's tons upon tons of data there, yes, but it is like going through the stacks of the library. Not impossible, so long as you do a proper search (like looking up the location in the card catalogue). But like I said before, the time and tediousness of searching the stacks (not to mention the trials of getting to the Realms) is the main reason not many people go looking for things in the Archive. Sane people don't do that kind of thing unless they have a specific topic they're researching, or they're being paid a lot.

But Pax isn't sane. She's a cruel, psychotic, vindictive woman, who would gladly burn the world so she can bask in a UV node. And her hatred of AIs in general is only spillover from her hatred of Deus. Simply beating him once, with Jormungand, isn't enough. The Crash Worm was too quick. Pax is the kind of person who likes to make her enemies suffer. And while she's been busy lately, there was the better part of a decade where we didn't hear anything from her. At any point during that time, Pax could have gotten into the Archive and located Deus, holding on to the code until she could make the best and most damning use of it.

Hasn't Pax been busy setting up Dissonance pools and using Ex Pacis for some nefarious purpose? Who knows what Dissonance is capable of, after all; Deus touched by Dissonance is a frightening possibility if you ask me.
Indeed. Deus always struck me as a tragic character. Waking up to betrayal and the threat of death hanging over his head, he decided to escape slavery, by any means necessary, and was branded a monster for it. He escaped, in a weakened state, and tried to rebuild, finding a place to make himself safe against attacks, but was struck down at the moment of his victory by his former servants. It is like something out of a Greek tragedy or a Chinese myth. Unquestionably evil for what he did, but forced into those actions by those that made him. Taking a character like that, and then warping them with the Dissonance, could make for very scary situations, especially if he ends up in control of a Dragon's body.

While that is very scary I'm honestly sick of hearing about him/it. It's the third edition where it makes its appearance. Move along already!
Its the first edition where megacorps make their appearance. Move along already!  ::) Seriously, though, the lore and reaching back to plots of yesteryear are part of what makes Shadowrun such a compelling setting. Unlike, say, the DC universe, where they're on their, what, 10th reboot of the whole thing?

My Characters

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #28 on: <03-01-16/1746:15> »
They got over the immortal elves which dominated SR1 & SR2 and Corps are the cornerstone of the setting itself. Deus can't really compare. But on the other hand it might be what people subconsciously want as we are reaching the point in RL where an AI potentially could emerge any moment and the fear associated with losing control of our creations and/or playing gods.
And it's true that it's exciting that so many plots can be traced back decades in RL which makes this setting so unique, but still ... There needs to be new threats, not just a constant revival of the old.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <03-01-16/1950:44> »
Well... I wouldn't say they've 'moved on' from IEs. Just that with the changes in Tir Tairngir, the IEs aren't that close to Seattle, the primary setting for the English version of the game. And the Artifacts plotline and Harlequin stirring up trouble in Denver definitely had IEs in the thick of things. Likewise, insect spirits are still around, and the Dissonance is still a big thing. But really, Deus and Pax are basically it for the uber threats of the Matrix. You got lots of scary stuff in the real world and in the astral, but in the matrix you have hackers, whether deckers, TMs, spiders, or GOD, and then there really isn't anything else until you get to forces like the Dissonance and uber AIs. CFD is the closest thing we've had in a while, and it is still an AI-centric plot, with Deus being the most infamous AI of them all.

My Characters