NEWS

Yani, the sprite heavy technomancer

• 14 Replies

joe15552

• Omae
« on: <01-03-11/1349:38> »
Invented a stream hybrid and a paragon hybrid for this character. I hope it is, at the very least, inspirational. Feel free to comment or offer suggestions. I welcome critique, and I also welcome suggestions or the pointing out of errors on my part.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Tieleran Fialonne
Alias: Yani
Race: Elf (30 BP)
Sex: Male
Nationality: Tir Tairngire
Lifestyle: Middle
Karma Spent: XXXXX
Physical Description: This young elven man has beautiful, long dark hair. He has some of it drawn into separate locks by runed jewelry. The look in his eye could easily be mistaken for snobbery, but a closer look or a casual conversation would reveal pitty for those around him, and not an ounce of compassion. He has the intense focus of a corporate business man, but still retains a bit of the relaxed nature of the average college student.
Personality/background: Raised by a family of wage-slaves in Seattle, Tieleran was angry with society. He felt that his family was being forced to live the life of cattle, and he refused to be like them. During his adolescence, he retreated into researching the history of the elves and his ancestral line.
     In his research, he fell upon the myths of the ancient immortals, and fell in love with the thought of ancient elves, wise and powerful, ruling the ancient world, and the present one. One day he fell upon the story of a wise elven matriarch of old that was magically inept, but was a great military leader. She became a legend when she led her troops to successfully defend the land against a technologically advanced, imperialistic human empire. Her people eventually gave birth to some of the more powerful mages of ancient times. Some elven historians even credit her with the survival of elven culture and heritage. The name of this elven matriarch was Feralia.
     Being a mundane himself, Tieleran felt a connection with this matriarch. Perhaps he can help lead elves to their rightful place, ruling the present world.
     While on his search for more information on this Matriarch, the Matrix Crash 2.0 occurred, and he found himself wandering the virtual realm of the matrix, still searching. He slipped into a dream like state, drifting on the ebb and flow of the matrix, and found a voice speaking to him. "Tieleran, if you are to help lead the elves to a new era, you will need my guidance." Suddenly an aged female elf appeared to him wearing full plate-male etched with elven runes. "You may be one of my champions of the matrix, if you wish. However, know that the price of failure is death." Overwhelmed with awe, Tieleran kneeled and said, "I will follow you, Feralia."
     Tieleran woke in the hospital, but the world was different. He could feel the insides of the instruments around him. He could even control them! Remembering Feralia's instruction to keep his new powers a secret; he kept his impulse to manipulate the instruments at bay.
     Tieleran learned to control his powers, and under the guidance of Feralia, he learned to call upon ancient immortal elves that resided in the matrix. From the safety of his own home, he found himself sabotaging anti-metahuman and anti-elf organizations. He would also sell valuable information to various elven terrorist groups. By the time he was old enough to move out of his parent's apartment, he was ready to begin a lucrative career in the shadows of the matrix.
     His alias comes from a human composer that was famous around the turn of the century. Tieleran has no idea who the composer is, and is a little annoyed when "more experienced" folk in his line of work collectively call him by this name, then laugh. He decided to adopt the alias since it seemed the only natural thing to do.
Paragon: Feralia (01 Hybrid) - Advantage: +1 dice pool for compiling and registering sprites of any type.
                            Disadvantage: Must spend 2 points of edge to negate a glitch or downgrade a critical glitch.
Stream: Champions of Feralia (Technoshaman Hybrid)
                      Fading: Charisma + Resonance
                     Sprites: Tutor, Paladin, Sleuth, Code, Tank
        - This is a stream exclusive to elven technomancers. Followers of this stream believe that they must do anything they can to advance elves in society. They believe that one day, elves will rule the world, and metahumanity will be their servants. They either work alone or as a secretive group. They go to great lengths to prevent outsiders from knowing their nature as a technomancers. They are also very careful not to reveal their goals to outsiders. They believe that sprites are the digital echos of the immortal elves that reside within the matrix, and are to be respected. Champions of Feralia believe that their emergence is due to the instruction of Feralia. They believe that their power over technology is granted as a blessing. They also believe that turning their back on Feralia and her cause would make them loose their connection to the resonance.

Attributes (180 BP)

BodyAgilityReactionStrength
CharismaIntuitionLogicWillpower
EdgeResonanceEssenceInitiative

Positive Qualities (10 BP)
Technomancer 5 BP
Paragon      5 BP
Negative Qualities (-10 BP)
Prejudiced -10 BP (Target Group: non-elves  Degree: biased)
Active Skills (134 BP)
Tasking Skill Group4
Cracking Skill Group4
Electronics Skill Group3
Dodge(Ranged)1(3)
Pistols(Semi-Automatics)1(3)
Infiltration(Suburban)1(3)
Perception(Visual)1(3)
Knowledge Skills ( [Logic + Intuition] x 3 free points)
Elven History3
Elven Activist Groups3
Anti-Elven Activist Groups3
Anti-Metahuman Activist Groups3
Elven Safehouses2
Language Skills
EnglishN
Sperethiel4

Complex Forms (32 BP)
Complex FormRatingNotes
Analyze5XXXXX
Edit5XXXXX
Stealth5XXXXX
Spoof5XXXXX
ECCM5XXXXX
Exploit5XXXXX
Simrig1Rating is effectively 0, but listed as 1 for BP cost purposes
Smartlink1Rating is effectively 0, but listed as 1 for BP cost purposes

Gear (40000„) (8BP)
Ares Predator IV350„
Personalized Grip(Ares Predator)100„
Hidden Gun Arm Slide(Ares Predator)350„
Fake License Rating 4(Ares Predator)400„
Form Fitting Full-Body Suit1600„
Gel Packs(Body Suit)1500„
Fake license Rating 4(Gel Packs)400„
Ruthenium Polymer Coating(Body Suit)7500„
Fake license Rating 4(RP Coating)400„
Thermal Damping Rating 6(Body Suit)3000„
Street Clothing100„
Contact Lenses Rating 3150„
Image Link (Contacts)25„
Vision Magnification(Contacts)150„
Vision Enhancement Rating 3(Contacts)300„
Glasses Rating 250„
Flare Compensation (Glasses)50„
Thermographic Vision (Glasses)100„
Earbuds Rating 220„
Audio Enhancement Rating 3 (Earbuds)300„
Spatial Recognizer (Earbuds)100„
Medkit Rating 6600„
Medkit Supplies x 3150„
Middle Lifestyle (One Month)5000„
Tag Eraser150„
Datachip x 55„
Certified Credstick25„
Keycard Copier Rating 61800„
Maglock Passkey Rating 48000„
Sequencer Rating 4800„
Cellular Glove Molder Rating 3600„
Meta Link100„
Vector Xim200„
Subvocal Microphone50„
Skinlink50„
Satellite Link500„
Jazz x 2150„
Fake License Rating 4 (Jazz)400„
Leftover25„
XXXXXXXXXX„

Bodyware
CyberwareEssenceCostNotes
Tooth Breakable Compartment0500„Holds a dose of Jazz

Contacts
ContactC/L
Street Doc2/3
Fixer3/3
Hacker3/2

Build Point totals:  400 = 30 + 180 + 10 + 134 + 32 + 8 + 16 -10
« Last Edit: <01-04-11/1758:45> by joe15552 »

Wyldknight

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <01-03-11/2325:20> »
I would advise not taking the whole tasking skill group as decompiling isn't all the useful. You should probably find some way to boost intuition as it effects your response, i advise taking some negative qualities. Your character sounds pretty racist so you could probably take prejudiced. Did your GM approve of your stream?

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-04-11/0834:05> »
Good suggestion on the prejudiced negative quality. I might add that soon.
I am not very concerned with response. Technomancers just don't need it very much with paladin sprites and being able to run all complex forms at all times with no affect on response. In fact, I was even thinking about using a satalite link all the time to reduce his response to 1.
I took the entire tasking group because I figure the GM would use a technomancer with sprites to combat this character, and in that case, decompile would come in handy.

This character currently has no GM. He is looking for work.

Edit: actually, I went ahead and added to his cracking skill group with the 10 points he got from prejudiced. Thanks for the advice, Wyldknight.
« Last Edit: <01-04-11/0845:42> by joe15552 »

Wyldknight

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-04-11/1627:53> »
No problem.

That assumption may get you killed. As someone who loves playing combat hackers I have stomped technomancers before. Unlike them a normal user can use the medic program to keep his icon functioning. A regular tactic of mine was have two Agents to assist on a hack. Both would be loaded for combat but also keep the medic program on the ready. On the occasion that I ran into a Technomancer I could stay in the fight longer then they did.

On response, that is your reaction and without it you could also be taken out. Remember that the Paladin may not always be there and if it comes down to you facing a security spider and his agents a lack of response may land you in the morgue.

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-04-11/1757:39> »
Wyldknight, after doing some research, I am going to have to agree with you. I did not think that technomancers were actually weaker in matrix combat than mundane hackers, but I found out that they are. Thanks for the warning. I'll tone down his charisma and buff up his response. I think he is more well-rounded and less min/max that way, too.
« Last Edit: <01-04-11/1759:37> by joe15552 »

Wyldknight

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-04-11/1848:03> »
What's pretty funny is without the proper work Technomancers are worse in the matrix then just about everyone else. For example let's take a look at an Adept Hacker.

Improved ability Hacking 3 + Hacking 6 + Exploit 6 = 15 dice. At chargen that's about 31 BP with 24 for the skill, 2 BP to afford a six thousand dollar program, and 5 for being an adept but none for magic because you only need .75 of a magic point and you start with 1.

Compare a TM

Exploit 5 + Hacking 6 = 11 dice with 5 bp for the exploit, 24 for the skill, 5 for being a TM, and 40 for bumping up the resonance. That's 74 BP for 3 dice less and even less flexibility. With threading and sprites these holes can be filled and the TM can become much better but for the same price you make a character that is not only good in the trix but can expand his skill set without drastically sacrificing anything else. TMs have their uses. Sprites are very useful and threading can help you boost your dice pool but you're pretty much hosed in any other situation.

So ya, I've played Mundane Hackers, Adept hackers, and TMs. I prefer the first two a lot more because I get to do stuff outside the matrix since the matrix isn't always useful.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <01-04-11/2023:04> »
Ah... but a Prime Runner Technomancer with a high enough resonance could boost that Exploit above 9. ;)

Wyldknight

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <01-04-11/2101:29> »
Ya, but we're talking about your average game. That takes a LOT of karma. In that time the hacker could have bought Milspech rating 9 programs anyway.

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-04-11/2219:29> »
You guys are itching my calculator fingers.... So here I go:

My Technomancer would start with 4 hacking skill and 5 exploit so that's 9 dice total. Let's just say he buys hits with his fading roll (cha5 + res5 = 10 = 2 bought hits) to add to his complex forms rating, so that's 11 dice to start with. Let's just focus on exploit and hacking.
My Technomancer's Karma progression- Improve Cracking Skill group to 5 = 25 karma
                                                       Improve Resonance to 6            = 30 karma
                                                       Improve Cracking Skill group to 6 = 30 karma
                                                       Improve Charisma to 6               = 30 karma
                                                       Improve Exploit rating to 6         = 6 karma
                                                                                                     = 121 total karma spent
           End result, hacking skill of 6 + exploit 6 + safely bought hit fading on threading 3 = 15 dice. (and don't forget, that's if he has a sprite sustaining that for him so he doesn't get -2 to this roll)

Now, my technomancer can finally be on par with your adept... after spending a WHOPPING 121 karma. Now, here's the wierd part. The technomancer can keep spending karma to submerge and raise resonance again... Submersion 1 = 13 Karma
                                       Resonance  7 = 35 Karma
                                       Exploit 7        = 7 karma
           That's 176 karma spent to get a safe 17 dice with threading sustained by a sprite.

I guess the strength of Technomancers is not in advancement, because I am sure that your adept can find a way to get those 17 dice cookin in the oven by the time he has 176 karma to spend.

I think that the strength of technomancers is, in part, their sneakiness, but mostly in their sprites. Sprites are kinda bad ass. They are not mindless programs for one thing, and they cost nothing to register. They only take a number of hours equal to their rating to register as well. Plus, they got some pretty nasty abilities, like taking hits for the technomancer, and adding cascading dice to their attack every time an attack fails. I dunno, I think it boils down to play style, which is what it should boil down to, I think.

That's why I was going to go with a 7 charisma technomancer so I could have 7 registered sprites on hand to deal with problems, but I decided to knock it down to 5 because 2 response is just... too low.

Wyldknight

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-04-11/2239:51> »
Ya, like I said. Sprites are awesome, it is essentially the only thing Technomancers have going for them.

BTW you can't buy hits in stressful situations unless your GM ok's it.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-04-11/2317:13> »
I thought you cant buy hits for any damage resist at any time?

Wyldknight

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <01-05-11/0003:36> »
I don't know about not at all, I just looked at the buying hits section and it said it's up to the GM but it usually shouldn't be done in stressful situations unless the player has a large dice pool.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <01-05-11/0546:21> »
The rulebooks specifically suggest buying hits on damage resistance tests when you have a ton of armor (e.g., when you're driving a tank). And that example is for just 16 dice. I personally allow players to buy hits so long as they have 12+ dice and the result is a total success (so no buying hits to resist damage unless it resists all the damage).

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-05-11/0815:55> »
I just put the buying hits thing in there to illustrate a reliable rating addition to the complex forms via threading. I guess he could add 7 to the rating, but he'd have to soak 7p fading... kinda' rough.

Edit: that's 7 in the enhanced version of Yani. The chargen version can only add 5 to the rating of a complex form.
« Last Edit: <01-05-11/0914:31> by joe15552 »

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-05-11/1400:28> »
Guess its just the GMs ive had, they forbid it on any soak pool, no matter the size