NEWS

Technomancer feedback for a new book!

• 542 Replies

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #435 on: <02-24-17/1438:22> »
https://mobile.twitter.com/amyveeres/status/835166145896382464

"Gonna be honest, I misunderstood a joke and thought I was fired and the book was canceled and freaked out over nothing. Sorry!"

*facepalm*

Glonthein

• Newb
« Reply #436 on: <02-26-17/0839:41> »
What worries me is that this may also mean that the work is far from its end, while it has almost been two years.
The urge is becoming real, even so that I'd like to give them a try, but with my GM not allowing the provisionnal errata for Fading, nor the use of Diagnostic for anything not involving a Hardware test, it really limits the playability.

dragrubis

• Newb
« Reply #437 on: <02-26-17/0848:59> »
Diagnostic maybe use for anything with a wireless connection (and weapon this a smartlink aswell)

Glonthein

• Newb
« Reply #438 on: <02-26-17/1516:49> »
Dragrubis : Unless there is an official errata (and I insist on that one, since he doesn't consider any errata with the status "provisionnal" on being official)  or a quote from a dev saying it works like that, my GM won't buy it : "the power says the sprite does a teamwork test with Hardware, so it will work only if you do a harware test, since that's how teamwork test works", more or less what he says, with "And I don't see how knowing how a smartgun internally works helps you using your gun".
And yeah, he is stubborn, but sadly I don't have a lot of other GMs to play with, so I make do.

deathwishjoe

• Chummer
« Reply #439 on: <02-26-17/1607:32> »
Dragrubis : Unless there is an official errata (and I insist on that one, since he doesn't consider any errata with the status "provisionnal" on being official)  or a quote from a dev saying it works like that, my GM won't buy it : "the power says the sprite does a teamwork test with Hardware, so it will work only if you do a harware test, since that's how teamwork test works", more or less what he says, with "And I don't see how knowing how a smartgun internally works helps you using your gun".
And yeah, he is stubborn, but sadly I don't have a lot of other GMs to play with, so I make do.

I kind of see where his interpretation comes from but is there a single use of the hardware skill you know of to use a device as opposed to simply do repairs?  One can use the hardware skill to repair or upgrade the electronics on a gun but not to use it.  The sprite power specifically states it provides these bonuses to anyone using or repairing the device. 

Glonthein

• Newb
« Reply #440 on: <02-26-17/1730:49> »
Well, as much in his campaign as in an older one with an other GM, there were sometimes devices or new tech that necessited Hardware tests in order to be used, but except those rare cases, I agree it is somewhat limited to repair (not even construct, since you need to have the device to use diagnostic). I already had the argument, but the only way to change his mind would be to quote official stuff or someone working at catalyst saying explicitly in which cases you can use that power.
Anyway, let's not derail too much, except if someone can provide one of the above, discussing this further would be kind of pointless.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #441 on: <02-27-17/0822:30> »
TBH, I wouldnīt mind if there would be an official clarification for Diagonstics that would Limit the Power to Hardware Tests or at least specifically exempt Attack Tests and "pure" Matrix Tests that donīt involve tinkering with the Hardware in some way. I wouldnīt even consider this a nerf, since itīs already balls-deep in the GM-Handwaving-Zone. Iīm actually pretty surprised that the SR Missions FAQ Team hasnīt tackled this yet.

IMO, the main reason some tables allow Diagnostics to be used with Stuff like Smartgun Attacks is a kind of pitty: "Technomancers are already so weak, at least let them (respectively, one of their Sprites) be able to hyper-buff the Gun-Bunny!" I can understand this sentiment, but trying to fix the Archetype by making just one specific feature extremely powerfull is not a good strategy:
  • First, you block up potential for other, more flavourfull options: Temporal Invisibility to Wireless Kameras? Options for Bypassing Master-Slave-protection? Quicker Ways to reset ownership? Forcing offline devices into wireless mode? Nah, way to powerfull! You already have OP-Diagnostics, what else do you want?!
  • Second, Itīs also prone to be flat out banned or house-nerfed at certain tables or even for missions (*cough* Nozquito *cough*).

That being said: Deliberately playing without the Fading buff is something I can hardly understand. What is your GM thinking there, Glonthein? Is he just trying to leave the Overcast-Puppeteer-as-suice-button option intact?  8) 
« Last Edit: <02-27-17/0832:45> by Finstersang »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #442 on: <02-27-17/1021:08> »
I absolutely agree, Fintersang.

It's like, "abuse Diagnostics until its black-and-blue" is basically the only build for TMs I hear, outside of "just make your sprites do everything for you".  I mean, as a Machine Sprite it makes sense for it to be something like "use Diagnostics on a drone or vehicle, you're now much better using it" as that's probably what the concept for it was as that's kind of what Machine Sprites are for.  It gives Rigger TMs a sense of uniqueness (as they can be incredibly effective while jumped into one drone, rather than working the bot-net a normal rigger can) that I hope to see expanded upon.

However, I've heard some seriously bullshit stuff (like "all cyberware technically has wireless so I put it in my Muscle Replacements and now it applies to all AGI and STR rolls") and some really on-the-line stuff (like using Diagnostics on Skillwires).  And I personally think the idea of a TM using a deck with a Machine Sprite boosting every matrix roll on it is just a massive perversion of what the archetype is supposed to be doing, but it isn't that unreasonable...  A clarification would go a long way to save so many players and GMs from headaches and arguments.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #443 on: <02-27-17/1030:38> »
We have a house rule that says a Machine sprite's Diagnostics power (SR5 p.257) only works with Technical skills (p.143). It plays okay ... the power is still pretty strong, without being ridiculous.

Glonthein

• Newb
« Reply #444 on: <02-27-17/1114:51> »
Finstersang : What he is thinking is : "I don't consider provisionnal errata to be viable, since it is still under test. Until it has an official status, you do with RAW." It's not only technomancer though, it works for any provisionnal Errata  Patrick Goodman has given us on this forum.
And you see, if I ever wanted to use the insta-win button that is puppeteer (his words, not mine), I could always thread it at level 1 and pre-edge it for limit break. No big deal, right ? *ahem ahem*

However I do agree about not allowing Diagnostic on everything ; I did ask for it to be usable on matrix related devices and drones at least, but even that was denied. Sphinx option does seem nice too, but I won't even bother to ask at that point.
All of this being why I'm having a hard time waiting for the technomancer book in the hope  that it gives new options and clarifications on the already existing stuff.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #445 on: <02-27-17/1147:25> »
Always talk to the GM about Technomancers before playing one.  Ask, "How does Diagnostics Work?"  "Can Sprites Assist?" , "Does Editor CF bypass Data Bombs and File Encryption?"  , "What are the table limits for Puppeteer/Resonance Veil?".  Those are the common points of contention I see on the forums. 

If you don't like the answers, make a Decker (or whatever) and carry on.

Deckers do their job with large dice pools, Technomancers can't get those kinds of pools without some friendly rules interpretation (Sprite Assistance), or be able to do the clever Technomancer things with CFs and Sprites to get the job done.  If the GM isn't going to be somewhat open to letting the TM do the job, the first decent rating Host you run into will stomp you flat.

And Meat Space Technomancers are just sad, generally. 

Fabe

• Omae
« Reply #446 on: <02-27-17/1204:03> »
ok ... so absolutely NO content at all for mancers...
Nice job.

I hope not. No one in my group is playing a techomancer but ever class/archetype in the game should be playable and from the sounds of it technos aren't worth the trouble to play. hopefully we'll still see this book.

dragrubis

• Newb
« Reply #447 on: <02-28-17/0509:22> »
ok ... so absolutely NO content at all for mancers...
Nice job.

I hope not. No one in my group is playing a techomancer but ever class/archetype in the game should be playable and from the sounds of it technos aren't worth the trouble to play. hopefully we'll still see this book.

When i'll see this book i'll see if there is something to have a shadowrun usable tekky... (can handle a gun -or something else-, and do his own stuff well without rules tricks awarded by a gentle GM)

&#24525;

« Reply #448 on: <03-10-17/1911:48> »
It's been too long since nothing happened. Here's my crack at Tank Sprites.

A L+1
S L-2
D L+2
F L+4

Skills: Computer, Cybercombat
Powers: Taunt

Taunt: Resonance + Cybercombat [Attack] vs. Host Rating x 2
When a Sprite uses this power, it effects a number IC equal to its Level. Make one roll and compare it to the IC effected. Each IC you get any net hits on is compelled to target this Sprite with any Matrix action it would take for a number of actions equal to the net hits. If the IC is reloaded the Power no longer effects it (as it is effectively "new"). This Power does not work outside of a Host.

manchuwook

• Newb
  • DO EET!
« Reply #449 on: <03-21-17/1210:53> »
I also wouldn't mind seeing something done more useful with the Wrapper program.  For instance, being able to change {Sleaze | Sleaze/2 | Sleaze/3 | Data Processing | Relevant Skill Check} traits for the icon.  Making the picture of a persona look like a credstick (through "the lens of the matrix") doesn't seem to mean much when you can just put 1 die towards asking what its Sleaze rating is at minimal cost - it wouldn't even seem unreasonable to do that out of habit.
« Last Edit: <03-21-17/1227:20> by manchuwook »